Skip to main content
Topic: Another source for SeGi window repair (Read 10079 times) previous topic - next topic

Another source for SeGi window repair

Yahoo Message Number: 57109
Hi everyone, wanted to report that we had 6 of our defective SeGi windows rebuilt by RV Glass Solutions while in Yuma. They had a field guy in the area, Tim Lemmons, who also used to be a CC tech. Tim did a great job and also generously offered advice on some other problems.
This is a new service for them and they are rapidly expanding their capability in this area.

Phone 888/777-6778

Dan & Ann

1998 Allure #30180

Re: Another source for SeGi window repair

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57115
Would you mind telling us either on the forum or privately what the cost for this was? Also, do they have any type of warranty?
I've got 5 windows that need repair and was wondering if I would get it done here in AZ before we leave or in Oregon on the way back from Seattle.

Bob

'05 Intrigue 11872

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57117
Good morning Bob,

I had 10 windows repaired on my '99 Allure. Dave Root out of Bend, OR. did them while he was in AZ this January. Did an excellent job, very professional and knows what he is doing. He and his partner worked @ Beaver before Beaver moved to Coburg, OR., building coaches so he understands the process. He charged me $2500.00 and it took him a day and a half to complete the job. Very satisfied and will use him again if any of the others fail.

W. S. (Bill) Burford
'99 Allure, #30307

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57120
Bob:

I had Tim Lemon, former CC factory Tech, repair my P/S, L/R window, $285. Tim does excellent work. Warranty is a year.
I have 2 windows, entry door window and windshield which I will have Tim fix when I get back to the OR area.

John Beach

06 Allure 31309

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57122
I had 8 windows resealed by Auto Glass Boss in Apache Junction, AZ. 602-505-3803. He charged me $75.00 per pane for a total of $600.00. Joe Colvin owner came to my site and completed all window in one day. Joe removed the valances and then removed the window frames with glass intact. Joe then separated the individual windows, separated the panes, removed the old sealant, cleaned the interior side of the glass, applied new 3M soft sealant, reassembled the panes, reinstalled panes in coach, reinstalled valances, cleaned inside and outside of glass.
Joe did the work on 2/24/2010 and we have had a lot of rain and some nice weather since work was done without any issues. Joe claimed he has been do this kind of work for 4 years and has only had to redo one window. He also does a lot of work for several RV Centers in the Mesa, AZ. area. He has been doing a lot of work with a Alfa group. He went to Palm Springs and I think he claimed to have worked on half dozen or more Alfa's.
Joe has numerous tattoo's, however, he was very nice and friendly. Seemed to know what he was doing.
I had a quote from RV Glass Solution in Phoenix that was over $1500.00 for the same work and I would need to take the coach to them. They also weren't sure they would be able to complete the same work in a day.

Jock Vargo

2005 Inspire330

SeGi window repairs

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57125
Country Coach replaced a number of my double-pane windows under warranty, some more than once. That experience makes me wonder if the problem was with the quality of construction by SeGi (and whoever makes the driver's window and the entry door window), or if the problem is one of design.
By removing a window, overhauling and reinstalling it... are we just kicking the can down the road awaiting the next failure?
Is there another vendor out there in RVland whose windows DO NOT fail?

Jay

05 Inspire 51457

Bridgestone tires anyone?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57128
We are looking for help in a decision.

We have an 06 Inspire and tend to put a fair amount of miles on our coach. It's our RV for fun, but we also have a manufacturer's rep agency and travel in the coach for work.

Our coach has about 50,000 miles on it, it's 4 years old, and it's time to change tires. Our tire guy has strongly suggested Bridgestone tires, 100,000 mile truck tires to be exact. Does anyone have any experience with these tires and/or suggestions for our coach.
Michelins are what we were thinking, but the truck man says we'd be very happy with these.

Thank you in advance for your help, and to the whole group, it's great to be able to send these emails out to you for help.

Mike

06 Inspire 51784

Re: Bridgestone tires anyone?

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57134
We have a 2004 Allure and are also buying tires. Our tire guy (Pro Tire in Denton, TX) said the exact same thing about Bridgestone. We've ordered them and they will be put on this week. He said Michelin owns Bridgestone. I searched on rv.net and found a few RV owners that bought them and liked the ride. We have Toyo tires (original tires) and the front tires are cupping. He said Bridgestone tires should not have that problem. He's coming to the park and changing the tires, balancing and alignment. Please keep the group posted on your decision and outcome and we'll do the same.

Lonny & Diane Livingston
'04 Allure # 31065

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 57135
Jock, I assume you had seal creep or moisture or both. What does he do differently from SeGi to prevent recurrence? No vacuum I presume?

Rich 2002 Magna

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 57136
oops. I made an error. We looked at Bridgestone and our tire guy said the same thing, but we decided on BF Goodrich. Michelin owns them. My apologies. Please keep us posted on your decision.
Lonny & Diane Livingston
'04 Allure # 31065

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 57137
It was $2200 for six windows. All the ones on the passenger side and the driver side bedroom window.

Re: SeGi window repairs

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 57138
Penninsula Glass aka Motion Glass, in Vancouver, WA. From what I hear, their windows are engineered differently and do not fail. You can order and they will send.

Rich 2002 Magna.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 57140
When I started researching for tires two years ago this coming Spring, I went back and read emails on this site and Foretravel's. The few comments that I remember were that everyone was satisfied with the Bridgestone. But a few owners who had more experience and owned multiple coaches felt the ride was stiffer and less compliant than Michelin XZ2A 275 R80 for the lighter coaches and 315's for the Heavier coaches. The XZ2 12R which is a highway long haul tire, and the XZE 12R which is a regional tire with more tread and an extra buffer on the sidewalls each have their own properties, were quieter and absorbed seams in pavement and cracks better than the Bridgestone. I bought XZ2 12R's for the coach.

They are quieter and absorb ruts, cracks, and seams better than the Toyo.

They seem to let me sooner if I am over driving the coach in corners where the slope is away from the center. As the side wall is a little softer than the Toyo. However a pot whole still gives that unpleasant sound and jolt when crossed. The Foretravel people who used to run the smaller tire, were always very careful to keep their tires fully inflated, due to side wall failures when in hot climates. That involved the 2000 thru 2004 coaches as I remember. I used Continentals on My 98 Allure and was very happy, and I should have ordered Michelin when the Intrigue was built. Installing the new tires made for a completely new and satisfying experience. Like buying a new coach.
TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731 PS they eliminated the coaches wanting to wander.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 57143
Rich,

I only had moisture in my windows. No seal creep.

Jock Vargo

2005 Inspire 330

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 57145
Lonny, Pat installed BF Goodrich on my 03 Magna in March 06,have put 40k plus on them, great tire. Still not sure about Pat though, LOL

Ray G

03 Magna 6267

Mar 8, 2010 02:54:32 PM,

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 57147
Any more info on the "3m soft sealant" that was used????

Ray

05 Allure 31176

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 57148
I hope you have better luck with the guy you're buying from than I did. I had him do a front end alignment, or at least I paid for one, but don't believe it was done. I tried to call him twice, but he never returned my phone calls. He did it in the Buddy Gregg campground in Lewisville, Texas and I paid through Buddy Gregg. I think he didn't do the alignment and that is why he wouldn't return my calls. Keep an eye on him, I don't trust him.

R. D. Vanderslice
06 allure 470 31294
--

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 57154
Just for the record.........there is no way your coach, car, truck, Suv, or lil red coaster wagon can be aligned on a portable align rack. Unless you are on an "in ground rack" computer sensor wheel caps ( all 4 ) with all four wheels down, air pressure checked, coach level, ride height set.
You are just throwing your money away....period AL

00 affinity #5851

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 57157

The problem lays with SEGI making an inferior product and CC for continuing to use SEGI windows year after year when it is know the product is faulty.

ddtuttle

aka Billy Byte (trusty hound)
2000 Allure #30443

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 57159
The dual pane window technology was behind the government EPA VOC rules. In other words the adhesive used in the separators (between the glass) did not have the ability to hold the increase and decrease of ambient pressure at bay.
Sea level = 14.7 PSI

At 7,000 feet = 11.34 PSI

Our coaches experience a significant change in barometric pressure and something has to compensate for the pressure changes at elevation.
Might not seem like a big difference, but on a static system it all adds up.
Major window manufactures that supply to the stick home market have hi altitude windows that allow for compensation of pressure. So that less of their windows fail.
I am not so quick to blame SeGi.. 100%. There is plenty of fault to go around. Gov't regs being high on the list.
The SeGi customer service "was"? a weak point.. as they should have priced (with enough profit) the wholesale of their windows to coach mfgs to allow for a higher failure rate... and better customer service.

Just a thought, Russ

05 Intrigue 11883 (with five bad windows yet to be fixed)

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 57161
Installed Bridgestones about 10,000 miles ago. They have been very good.

Balanced the front with Equal. Did not balance the rears.

Dean

95 Magna 5280

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 57162
We have a 2005 Inspire and recently replaced the tires with Michelins. We are extremely satisfied with the tires. In fact, had I know how much the ride would have improved by replacing the Toyo tires with Michelins, I would have done it when I purchased the coach new.
As for ProTire, I live very near Denton, TX and I have done business with Pat several times. He is very experienced, gracious, and dependable, He has done tire fixes at my house, did an alignment at my house, and installed the new Michelins at my house. I obviously value his service and will continue to do business with him.

Hodge Phillips
2005 Inspire

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 57164
Hodge

What Michelin's did you replace your Toyo's with and the size?? Thanks Ned Herrmann
06 Inspire 51677

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 57183

I am assuming that SEGI, being from California, assembled their windows nearer to sea level than to high altitude. Thus, why would the gasket move in toward the center of the window rather than out against the frame? Unless the gaskets allowed the higher internal pressure at high altitude to leak out and then at lower altitude the higher outside pressure could then force the gasket in. If indeed, the fault lies with the adhesive, then they should have gone and talked to 3-M.

ddtuttle

aka Billy Byte (trusty hound)
2000 Allure #30443

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 57188
I had Tire Pro aligne my coach at Buddy Gregg in Lewisville in 2000 and have had no problems. Have 80,000 miles on the coach and tires are wearing normally and drive like a dream. This was after my OEM Toyo tires had cupped quite a bit after only 8,000 miles and the handling of the coach was terrible.
Got rid of the Toyo steer tires and replaced them with Goodyear.

Egon

'99 Allure #30321