Skip to main content
Topic: Chassis batts for 2007 Magna ... (Read 1012 times) previous topic - next topic

Chassis batts for 2007 Magna ...

Yahoo Message Number: 57390
Chassis batteries are weak on our Magna. Been sitting this winter here in N IL, and would not start. Checked water and charged but still needed boost from house batts. I assume echo charger to working but that's easy ...
Where is a good on line place to buy ?? Googled and found lots of places but a some personal experience is always nice.
These are Deka (CC factory), so I assume I will just buy two more. I can get Farm and Fleet units, but not sure of the quality.

I also assume they are shipped dry ... correct ??

Thanks ...
John

2007 Magna 6760
Durand, IL

New Port Richey, FL

Re: Chassis batts for 2007 Magna ...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 57395
They should last longer than 3 years John...

Possibly your echo charger is not doing it's job...

Try the "equalizing" cycle before you give up and buy new ones...
My first set lasted 6 years, replaced them with "Werker" 8DA's (they were a little less expensive)... got them at Parliament Coach in Clearwater and they are still good after 4 years...

buck

k7wn '99 Magna#5653

==========================================================

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 57396
I have an 07 Magna with the ISX motor. I replaced mine by going to Interstate Batteries. At the time they sold blems. The 2 8d batteries cost around $200.
John Bennett
Melbourne, FL

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 57403
I mistyped ... I assume the echo charger in NOT working ... but that's an easy fix if I can find it.
I did put them on a 10 amp smart charger overnight but still not enough power to start the C13.
I have never 'exercised' a battery in my life ... no clue. Hell, I don't even exercise ME like I should ...
I would assume i would have to use a special charger. I know the inverters can do that to the house batteries, but not thru the echo charger to the chassis batts.
We have not used this coach lately, so maybe that effects battery life.
I will check out Interstate ... they have 8D's at the local Farm and Fleet for $139, and I have had good luck with F&F batts. I will probably just do that.

... and check out the echo charger ...

Thanks all ...
John

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 57408
John...

My inverter has an "equalizing" cycle... It charges the batteries at a high rate for several hours and cleans up the plates...
Check your inverter manual, I'll bet it has the "equalizing" cycle...
To start my equalizing cycle, I hold the "charge" and "setup" buttons down at the same time on my Hart inverter panel... Can also start the cycle with the "dip" switches on top of the inverter...
Yep, it only equalizes the house batteries, but I have two 8DAs for house and two 8DAs for the chassis so after equalizing the house batteries, I swap them with the chassis batteries and then run the equalizing cycle again.
Sounds like a lot of trouble, but I only do it about one time per year, and it will keep your batteries in good shape.

buck

k7wn '99 Magna#5653

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 57410
It seems the number of items requiring batteries is proportional to my age. Admittedly acquiring a CC with it's plethora of batteries may have jumped my age considerably.
Now I'm looking for some sage advice and counsel with all the continuing battery discussion within this group.
I've never really seriously considered or investigated the merits of a desulphator but with the number of batteries and the seeming constant trip to replace them I've begun to wonder whether a desulphator if occasionally applied to the CC, autos, SUVs, ATVs and garden tractors might produce an extended battery life.
Have any of you used a desulphator and if so what's your experience? Gerry Brown

2007 Allure 31447

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 57414
Gerry, I use a BD-2 almost continuously on my 6 year old Lifelines. I dry camp quite a bit and the batteries continue to perform as I remember they did when new.
http://www.affordable-solar.com/solar-converters-bd-2-battery-desulphator.htm
George in Birmingham
'04 Allure 31038
George in Birmingham
2003 Magna 6298

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 57417
Here is what Xantrex says about "equalizing" batteries...
"This elevated voltage results in a vigorous charging action to take place within each cell that has several effects on the battery. First, much of the residual sulfate is forced to re-combine with the electrolyte in the form of sulfuric acid. Crystallized sulfate that will not re-combine is broken loose from the plates and falls harmlessly to the bottom of the battery. Deep cycle batteries have additional space beneath the plates intended to collect this material. This action cleans the plates exposing fresh lead to the electrolyte and restores battery capacity."
Read the whole article at: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/257/DocServe.aspx
buck

k7wn, '99Magna#5653

=================================================

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 57422
I own an 07 Magna all electric Coach. I have 4 lifeline house batteries that are the Absorbed Glass Matt type (AGM). These 4 batteries are not supposed to be equalized according to the manuf. My Silverleaf system has the capability to select this if I choose to but to access that page you need a tech code which allows you to change the selection of AGM to flooded. I have that code if someone wants it for any reason. The 2 engine batteries are the flooded type and and a candidate for equalization. However, the 2 Xantrex Inverters are not hooked to these so you would need to buy a seperate unit to do that. You could remove the 4 AGM batteries and transfer the 2 flooded to the house position but those are some heavy babies and not something i want to do.
John Bennett

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 57423
Interesting comment abt AGMs not to be equalized...I read page 5.5 Lifelines manual to say that AGMs can be "conditioned"...and in the past I have equalized mine....

Ray

05 Allure 31176

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 57424
I called Lifeline a couple years ago and they gave me directions to equalize over the phone.

Bob Wexler SOB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 57458
Gerry,

I've used a couple different BatteryMINDer models for the past few years and can say they seem to work well for me. I have an OBD-12 model permanently attached to the coach house batteries and a model 12117 that I use periodically with the coach chassis battery and the toad battery.
I'm quite sure the desulphator treatments restored and lengthened the life of my toad battery by a few years - finally replaced after about 10 years. My "cheapie" Exide E3600 (golf cart) lead-acid house batteries lasted over 7 years before individual cells began to fail. My chassis battery (also over 7 years old) still shows no sign of problems.
NOTE: Desulphators operate differently than the equalization charging mode mentioned in other responses to your inquiry.
If you search this group's message archives for "desulfator" and "desulphator" you will probably find some other testimonials.
--

Tom Harsch 2002 Allure #30791
Pahrump, NV

for the coach house bat
--
Tom Harsch -- 2002 36' Allure #30791