Skip to main content
Topic: PTO Problem (Read 645 times) previous topic - next topic

PTO Problem

Yahoo Message Number: 63197
I have the dreaded PTO probems on a 97 Intrigue #10388, Gillig chassis, Cummins powered. The shaft to the pump is rounded off and fails to engage with the PTO shaft. I have no power steering or radiator fan thus I cannot travel. We are stranded in Burns, Oregon.
The Gillig part number for the pump is 53-290-58-003. I have contacted JDRV with no luck although I did purchase his wet kit to avoid future problems. I also contacted Gillig and they do not have the pump or a repair part instock and suggest it will take several weeks to get one. The repair shop where the coach is has tried his suppliers with no success either.
Does anyone have any ideas on where I could source this part or have a new shaft made ?

Bob Speckman
97 Intrigue

Re: PTO Problem

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 63205
Bob

Give John Davis a call. I think He Lives in La Pine OR. and does mobile service His web site or might be his e-mail, is www.jdrv1.com.

Hope this helps

Bo Lee

2000 Magna #5896

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 63207
OUCH!! Broke down in Burns, Ouch again. O.K. The good news. Had to replace our pump on a 97' Magna 5418. Gillig chassis. It has a Detroit Diesel Series 40 but the Allison should be the same. Got the unit from Myrmo & Sons Inc. They have locations in Eugene, Bend & Prineville. If we can assume it is the same pump here is the information that may get you one from them.

Invoice # E292950010 Dated: 07/14/2009

1- XX 95409 hyd. Motor

Ref: E50582.00

Eugene number: Parts 541-747-4561. Where I ordered mine.
Bend number: 541-330-1388

Prineville Number 541-447-4741

Cost at the counter was $635.46

The wet kit I installed is: 328591-141X. Match this with yours, if the same the pump should be the same.

You will need at least two 35P74 Chelsea gaskets. USE BOTH BETWEEN THE PUMP AND MOUNT FACE. If you use only one you will have a leak.

If you need more information hit me off list and I will give you my cell #.

Not much to do in Burns. Seems it required a week to get the pump from the East.

Leonard Kerns

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 63222
Morning Bob,

Thinking about being down in Burns last night and it came to me, I still have the pump I took off. The splines are about 1/2 wore but would get you back on the road. Shipping cost from Eugene to Burns is not that great for a free pump. Or if nothing else, do you have another vehicle to make a day trip to the Eugene area and pick it up. Better then sitting doing nothing.

Let me know.

Leonard Kerns 97' Magna 5418

OUCH!! Broke down in Burns, Ouch again. O.K. The good news. Had to replace our pump on a 97' Magna 5418. Gillig chassis. It has a Detroit Diesel Series 40 but the Allison should be the same. Got the unit from Myrmo & Sons Inc. They have locations in Eugene, Bend & Prineville. If we can assume it is the same pump here is the information that may get you one from them.

Invoice # E292950010 Dated: 07/14/2009

1- XX 95409 hyd. Motor

Ref: E50582.00

Eugene number: Parts 541-747-4561. Where I ordered mine.
Bend number: 541-330-1388

Prineville Number 541-447-4741

Cost at the counter was $635.46

The wet kit I installed is: 328591-141X. Match this with yours, if the same the pump should be the same.

You will need at least two 35P74 Chelsea gaskets. USE BOTH BETWEEN THE PUMP AND MOUNT FACE. If you use only one you will have a leak.

If you need more information hit me off list and I will give you my cell #.

Not much to do in Burns. Seems it required a week to get the pump from the East.

Leonard Kerns

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 63265
Thanks to Leonard it looks like we will be back on the road towards home in MN by this weekend. After spending a week making phone calls with no results I was beginning to think we might be spending at least Thanksgiving here in Burns, OR. The only positive response I had received after a week of phone calls was from Gillig that they could get me a pump but it would be mid to late November (8-10 weeks) before it would arrive. Frustrating at best.
Thanks again Leonard, you made my day, week, month, heck maybe the entire year.

Bob

1997 Intrigue #10388

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 63267
You are very welcome Bob. Amazing what we can do when we work together. By the way, the pump was taken apart by Myrmo. Might try it by hand to make sure it is correct and noticed one allen head bolt was loose.

Leonard

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 63270
Bob,

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Just crawled under our coach and looks like we have a dry PTO with a Fan only pump.
So, now I know where some of our money will be going, adding a wet kit.

Glad you were able to get a used unit to get you going again.

Henry

1997 Magna "Tribute" #5405