Skip to main content
Topic: (12 volt?) Interior Lighting Dilemma (Read 807 times) previous topic - next topic

(12 volt?) Interior Lighting Dilemma

Yahoo Message Number: 63927
Greetings,

Over the last 2 weeks I've started experiencing a situation when attempting to turn on the overhead lights in the bathroom area. We have a 2000 Magna (#5886) and I am experiencing a delay in the lights getting bright. Then when I attempt to turn on another overhead light switch at the same time in the bathroom area (i.e. toilet room, under the medicine cabinet, above the sink as well as attempting to open the fantastic fan) it either turns off the original bathroom light I had turned on or causes every light in the bathroom area to turn off. I'm also hearing a surging like sound out of the fantastic fan motor when I attempt to activate a light switch in this area. All other overhead lights in the coach are working perfect.
Could this me a fuse going bad in the electrical bay? If I leave the lights turned on, they will eventually turn on. Almost as though there's a bad resistor or short in the line.

Any suggestions?

Most appreciated!
David Verette
2000 Magna #5886

Re: (12 volt?) Interior Lighting Dilemma

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 63928
Sounds like a bad connection, possible corroded or a bad ground. I would pull each light switch and check the wire connections. Look for corrosion, usually green, and make sure the connectors are tight on the switch and the wires tight in the connectors. Careful using the fan until you find the problem. Could burn out the motor from extreme low voltage. Pull the switchs out, turn on the light and move the connections to see if there is a change in the light, another test. Suspect you will find obvious bad connections on one switch.

Leonard Kerns
97' Magna 5418

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 63939
Thank you, Leonard.

Well, I checked for possible corrosion and connection tightness by pulling each light switch in the bathroom and hallway out for viewing. They looked like new. There was simply no corrosion. That said, I did not see where the connection is for the fantastic fan. I went into the electrical bay to look at the electrical panel, but the fuse and green indicator lights are on and available for service. Everything seems to be as noted.

Further thoughts? Are there other fuse locations?

Thanks again for your assistance in this matter.

David Verette
2000 Magna #5886

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 63941
Do you have a volt meter? Try reading the volts at the back of one switch, with all lights off and watch what happens as you turn them on. If the volts drop are, are not the same as the batteries, then there is a bad connections somewhere. Really sounds like a voltage drop. Question is where? Might try using the volt meter at the fuse and move out from there. Are the wire connections tight at the fuse block? Also check for the ground wires, a loose ground can cause this as well. If the voltage is the same as the batteries and at the lights up front, that work, then we have to think of something else. Are the lights florescent or just 12 volt bulbs? Are you running off the batteries or plugged in to shore power when this happens? It is just the bed/bath area with this problem, correct? Electrical problems can be a real problem and you are the best to find it. Living in the coach gives more insight.

If you don't have a volt meter, suggest it would be worth the investment in a digital readout meter.

Leonard

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 63944
David, your symptoms sound like those that led up to the failure of the Type-2 circuit breaker in my coach.
The bath lighting circuit (in the 05 Inspire) uses the Type-2, but the front lighting circuit uses a regular fuse. The bath circuit is a substantial load, with all the halogen vanity lights, the fan, etc. I guess that is why the engineers put the Type-2 in the circuit. Even a properly working Type-2 gets pretty hot with all the accessories on.
Try swapping out the circuit breaker. I did and the problem went away.

Jay

05 Inspire 51457

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 63955
In my Intrigue I could not run both the Fantastic Fan and light at the same time. One or the other. I called Fantastic Fan, (GREAT service) and the tech suggested I swap controllers with my bath fan and the galley fan. On the way to getting that done, I pulled the Fantastic Fan controller out of the bulkhead, and behind it found a bundle of green (ground) wires twisted up in a wire nut. They were loose. I soldered that bundle of wires together before I put the *%#* wire nut back on - no more troubles.
Hope yours is that easy.

Jack Nichols, 2003 Intrigue 11527

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 63985
Hello, Jay

I certainly hope you're onto something here. I've spent that last 4 hours trying to locate the Type-2 circuit breaker that you are referring to, but I can't seem to locate it. I've looked through my manuals to no avail. Can you share where your Type-2 circuit breaker was located in the Inspire? I'm hoping your 2003 Inspire has it located not far from where mine would be located in a 2000 Magna. Most appreciated. David verette

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 63997
David, the circuit breaker is located in the domestic fuse panel ( in the Inspire, located across from the refrigerator). It is stacked along with the normal blade-type fuses. The Type-2's are noticeably different from the fuses in color (silver) and shape (like a matchbook). They unplug from the board in the same manner as fuses. The owner's manual (and the label on the fuse panel) identify it as "20A T-2". The manufacturer calls it an ATC Type 2 Modified Reset Circuit Breaker. Here is a link: http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d28.html
Jay

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 64015
Dave,

On my 02 Magna most of the 12 volt fuses and breakers are located in the electrical bay under the drivers seat. On mine, there are little green lights. If house batteries are on, one of these lights being out is there to indicate a blown fuse or breaker. Keep in mind, however that some of these circuits/lights are not active unless the ignition is on.

Rich 2002 Magna