Skip to main content
Topic: (no subject) (Read 614 times) previous topic - next topic

(no subject)

Yahoo Message Number: 72619
Hello all - Our fuel tank is empty when tank reads 1/4. Dead in the street - twice. Also, ceiling lights - sporadic brightness, mostly dim. Has anyone else seen these issues? Fixes? Thanks for any input. Logan - 07Inspire52000

Re:

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 72622
I have heard of fuel lines on the diesel tank being switched between the generator feed line and engine feed line. If properly connected, the generator feed line will not pick up the last ΒΌ tank of fuel, to avoid running tank dry, thereby standing you in the boonies. If they are switched, you can see the problem. Accessing the connections is a challenge, but I have heard of it being done without pulling the tank.
I had a devil of a time with my bathroom lights and fan - inconsistent operation. I pulled the fan switch panel out, along with other panels around that area, took off every wire nut I could find, and replaced them, and that fixed it for a few months. The next time I did it I soldered the connections before replacing the wire nut. One ground connection had five wires into it, bad connection was inevitable, but soldering stopped my problem. Usually when you have two separate items malfunctioning, the common connection to them both, ground, is often the problem. YMMV

Not a difficult fix, just fiddly.

Jack Nichols, 2003 Intrigue, 11527

fuel tank

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 72633
We don't use the fuel gauge, I set the trip at zero every time I fuel up. At 500 I start thinking about fuel, at 600, I have a plan knowing at 800 I will be close to the bottom of the tank...

mike/anne spinetti

currenty at shasta lake calif
2008 allure 31619

No subject (bum fuel gage)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 72634
Logan, you didn't mention how much fuel it took to fill the tank after you were "dry" in the street. If it took 100 gal.s or so, you have a bad gage. If it took around 70 gals., you most likely have the fuel pickup lines for the engine and the Gen-set reversed. CC was pretty famous for that error. Poor design, but....? The gen-set should run dry when you have 1/4th tank.

Can't help you with the lights, but sounds like grounding problems.

Jim Hodges

2007 Inspire, 51969

Re: fuel tank

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 72640

Logan

Does your generator run OK? If yeas, it could be crossed fuel lines. The last time you ran out how many gallons did you put in to fill the tank?

Dave

aka Billy Byte (trusty hound)
2000 Allure #30443