Skip to main content
Topic: (no subject) (Read 1190 times) previous topic - next topic

(no subject)

Yahoo Message Number: 5435
Fred Kovol: Fred, for folks like me who's manual is incomplete, is there a way I can access the procedure for changing coolant? I plan to change my coolant and filter this weekend at an available shop.

Thanks,

Larry

Intrigue 10762

Coolant and filter replacement procedures

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5437
---Hi Larry,

Please read the Users Guide 1.9.3. and 1.9.4. to understand the discrepancies I uncovered. Also read 1.9.5.
The text below covers the discrepancies and the procedures approach I use.
Good Luck,
Fred Kovol

Owner's Manual, User's guide Section Rev F Dynomax ISC series chassis
Copyright 2000

Subject: Para. 1.9.3. Flushing the Coolant System and 1.9.4. Fill Procedure

Discrepancies:
1.   p. UG1-30 Notice! Do not install the radiator cap. The engine is to be operated without the cap for this process. versus 8) Loosen the surge tank cap and open ??

Note 1: Do you or don't you remove the cap and why? Note 2: I could not get the temperature above 126 deg F as indicated on the Silverleaf with the rpms at 1000.

2.   p. UG1-30 6) Start the engine and let it run for 5 minutes with the coolant (sodium bicarbonate) temperature above 181 deg F (83 deg C).
Note 3: I cannot locate a thermostat in the coolant section for the engine (p. P1.5.1-1,-2,-3)

Note 4: As soon as the engine is started, flow is observed in the surge tank.
3.   p. UG1-30 9) After the cooling system cleaner has completely drained, fill the cooling system with good quality water.
Note 5: Define good quality water. Soft water? Total Dissolved Solids less than 100 ppm?
4.   p. UG1-31 10) Start the engine and let it run for five minutes with the water temperature above 181 deg F (83 deg C).
Note 6: See Notes 3 and 4
5.   p. UG1-31 11) Loosen the surge cap and open??. Allow system water to drain completely.
Note 7: See Note 1

Note 8:   If the cap is off, the Warning after 1) does not apply. I would never drain a hot engine!
6.   p. UG1-29 Warning! after step one: "Use the manual relief valve, or wait until the coolant temperature is below 120 deg F ??." Note 9: Does a manual relief valve exist? Note 10: You may be waiting a long time to get below 120 deg F. This whole procedure could take days with a dirty system.
7.   p. UG1-32 3) Start the engine and switch the cab heater on??.. The engine must run long enough to open the engine thermostat??..
Note 11: No reason to turn the cab heat on, the circulating pump runs with the ignition switch on.
Note 12: See notes 2, 3 and 4.
8.   p. UG1-32 6) Switch off all heaters??.
Note 13: This step should be eliminated.
 After reading the above procedures (which appear to have been written for older coaches), I elected to use the procedure below taking into consideration that it should be universal to all coaches with Cummins engines. All of the procedure details are not provided and would need added along with the notes and warnings.
Note: This is an 8 ? 12 hour job.

Note: Do not drain coolant until coolant temperature is within 25 deg F of outside air temperature.

Note: Let engine cool overnight or at least 12 hours. Open rear engine door to facilitate cooling.
1.   Drain coolant into three 5 gal clean plastic pails. Discard per local laws.
2.    Prepare 10 gal of soft water (less than 100 ppm TDS) or distilled water by adding 2 lbs of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).
3.   Fill coolant system with baking soda mixture adding water as needed to fill surge tank and run engine 0.5 hours at high idle (1000 rpm).
Surge tank cap should be removed. Have plastic pail ready to catch any runoff from surge tank.
4.   Drain coolant as follows: Inset a hose into surge tank filler tube which is connected to a soft water source. Open radiator drain valve, and adjust soft water flow so that water barely flows out of filler tube as coolant is draining from radiator.
5.    When water draining from radiator is clear (no color), run engine 15 minutes and wait for water to be clear a second time. This may be repeated several times if coolant is dirty. After final engine run, turn on ignition to observe engine temperature and verify it is within 25 deg F of outside air temperature. Do this every 15 minutes until engine temperature is cooled to proper temperature. Do not start engine.
6.   Turnoff soft water, remove hose and let coolant system drain completely.
7.   Replace coolant filter (4 units DCA4 Fleetguard WF2071). Note: Shutoff valve on filter head will not have to be turned off. Note: Coolant filter should be replaced only when needed as determined by a coolant strip test (Fleetguard CC2602B) performed every six months or at coolant replacement.

Note: Never use car antifreeze; if used, coolant system must be drained and refilled per this procedure steps 1 through 9.
8.   Fill coolant system with a 50-50 mix of Fleetguard Compleat ethylene glycol concentrate and distilled water or Compleat premix.
The color of the coolant is blue. Have 10 gal on hand. Note: This applies to Cummins engines only.
9.   Run engine for 5 minutes maximum and add coolant mixture as necessary, secure surge tank cap.

Coolant and filter replacement procedures - Note 3 deleted

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5443
Quote from: fredkovol

---Hi Larry,

Please read the Users Guide 1.9.3. and 1.9.4. to understand the > discrepancies I uncovered. Also read 1.9.5.
The text below covers the discrepancies and the procedures approach

I use.

(no subject)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5536
I need advice from someone in the group. After a two hour drive, Smart Tire temp. warning light went on for the inside rear tire on the drivers side. Temp for that tire was 185, while other three rear tires were in the mid 140 range. Cold pressure for the offending tire is 95, while other three are 100.
Two questions: other than underinflation, what would cause the excessive heat. Also, is 187 indeed excessive, or should the Smart Tire be reprogramed (set at 180)? Dale Loop

2001 Intrigue 11240