Skip to main content
Topic: (no subject) (Read 704 times) previous topic - next topic

(no subject)

Yahoo Message Number: 77354
I recently bought a 2004 Country Coach Inspire. It has a 350 cummins with a 6 speed Allison Transmission. I was told by the previous owner that the Cummins Engine requires a special type of anti-freez, not just any antifreez off the shelf. Can anyone enlighten me regards the proper type of antifreez for this engine.
Thanks

John Busby

Re: (unknown)

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 77355
John I think there are a number of items in the archive files for this group on 'SCA' and/or diesel antifreeze. They should tell you what you need to learn, and yes you need a special antifreeze for the diesel engines we use.

Lee
--

Lee (leozbrowski@...) 2007 Country Coach Intrigue 12153
CAT C-13

Re: (unknown)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 77356
The issue is called cavitation. If the correct antifreeze isn't used premature failure of the engine is possible. If you check Cummin's website for coolants you will find there is quite a selection. You can always call Cummins info center at 1-800 diesels for the best answer for your engine. They will ask you for the engines serial number which is posted in your Coach medicine cabinet.
TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731

Anti Freeze recommended for 350 cummins

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 77360
John

My chassis manual specifies the minimum required coolant. In my case it is the plain old Ethyl Glycol stuff. My engine has a coolant filter that must be changed. I use one with 4 units of SCA additive in it.
Since I use the green stuff, I must also check the status of the SCA (DCA) in the coolant to prevent the cavitation damage caused in its absence. Cummins sells dip strips to measure the DCA and sells bottles of DCA to add to coolant when necessary.
There are other more expensive coolants that avoid the SCA/DCA issue. If your engine does not have a Coolant filter, it is likely you will need the OAT type coolant.

Dean

95 Magna 5280