Skip to main content
Topic: GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse as Toad? (Read 914 times) previous topic - next topic

GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse as Toad?

Yahoo Message Number: 78349
I am curious what owners opinions are of either the Acadia or Traverse as a replacement Toad? We have pulled an 02 GMC Envoy for over 10 years and have been extremely happy with its pull-ability and must soon consider a replacement vehicle. I am leaning toward the Acadia, however, it is not available in 4-wheel drive.
I like the ease of setting up the Envoy to tow, i.e. being able to put the transmission and transfer case in neutral, and being able to turn off the ignition and remove the key from the ignition, prior to towing. No fuses to pull, no switches to switch prior to towing. It doesn't sound like that is an option in either the Acadia or Traverse. So I am wondering about owner opinions of towing the automatic AWD Acadia or Traverse.

Thanks for any assistance,

William Brown

99 Intrigue, 36' Gally Slide
02 Envoy

Re: GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse as Toad?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 78350
Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse as Toad?We have an 08 Buick Envoy, and we only have to pull one 50 amp fuse and leave the transmission in neutral with the key in the ACC position. Tows like a dream and have towed it for 50,000 miles so far. It also is the favorite car of all we've owned, and my wife and I just went over the list of all we could remember for the last almost 44 years, a list with all varieties -- even a 68 Renault, a Vega (my wife was an earth mother back then and even washed out plastic bags and alum foil for reuse), a VW Rabbit, Saab, Saturn Vue, Pontiac G6, and various Buicks.

Mike Frederick
06 Inspire 51784

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 78355
Mike,

Is your Envoy a 4 wheel drive, AWH or FWD? Are you restricted to 65 MPH and do you have to stop every so often to start the engine to lubricate the transmission?

Charles

2000 Allure 30555

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 78356
Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse as Toad?Charles,

It is an all wheel drive CXL model Buick Enclave.

Mike

06 Inspire 51784

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 78362
Charles,

Our 02 Envoy is 4 wheel dr, is not restricted by the 65 MPH limit, nor do we have to start the engine to lubricate the transmission. We have gone as much as a week while traveling north over the ALCAN, while moving daily and not once needing to start the vehicle. That has been one of the real nice plus's of the Envoy. Also, we have not bothered to pull the 50amp fuse since the 2nd year of owning/towing the car. We probably have around 135,000 miles on the vehicle while under tow, and another 115,000 on the odometer. Thus the reason we have been very happy with our Envoy and looking for something as good for a replacement.
Bill

99 Intrigue, 36'

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 78368
We have a 2012 Buick Enclave. Have to remove 3 fuses and leave key in accessory position. Installed a fuse disconnect and find it is easier to set to tow than our Jeep Commander was.

S Brandt, '06 Intrigue 11964