Skip to main content
Topic: C9 Cat in our 2007 Tribute (Read 726 times) previous topic - next topic

C9 Cat in our 2007 Tribute

Yahoo Message Number: 81863
Before leaving on a trip I took the coach to Peterson Cat in Portland OR to have the engine serviced, the valves adjusted and the exhaust brake checked. We had 14900 miles at this time on the engine. On our trip we had a hard time keeping the coach speed controlled going down the mountains between Grants Pass and Canyonville heading North on I 5. I started my decent at 48 MPH in 4th gear and tried to hold the speed at under sixty at all times. I am pulling a new Lincoln MKX with road master brakes. Going down the hills I would apply and release the brakes, not riding them, and could smell the brakes heating. The engine warning light would come on and I would loose power toward the bottom of the hill and I would have to pull over and when I would get to about 35 miles per hour the engine would restart by itself and every thing would be normal including power. All gauges were normal but this occurred again on the next long down hill. When we got to Canyonville I fueled up and noticed the drivers side of our white car was black with oil. We continued over to the coast at Brandon and then up to Astoria where we are tonight. Then engine has good power no engine failure but more oil on the car. I will check the oil level again in the morning to try to determine if it is oil or diesel on the car and the side of the coach. I called Cat and they said to bring it back as they had no idea what this might be. Is the exhaust brake on a C9 useless or do I have a legitimate problem? I know it is not a Jake but I think there should be some benefit on the road. I can feel it at lower speeds.

Monty Kershner 2007 tribute 260 #81044 2012 Lincoln MKX

Re: C9 Cat in our 2007 Tribute

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 81864
If I am going to hold the coach in the high 40's or low 50's I use third gear.for 6+ percent grades. If I am holding the coach in the low 60's I use 4th gear. Now when I am on the flat and level my oil

pressure is around 40 to 45 lbs depending on the ambient temp. If I am going don a grade in third or

forth gear my oil pressure is close to or above 60 lbs with the engine spinning 2300 rpm using the

engine brake. I have an ISL which is close to the same as a C9 in cubic inches. If you aren't creating

similar oil pressures within your engine there is no way you can hold speed going down grades, I found

changing from Rotella or Delo to Valvoline increased my oil pressure 7 to 10 lbs with the same viscosity
rating. TWI 2004 intrigue 11731

Original Message:
-----------------

From: Monty Kershner montykershner@... Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:52:57 -0700 To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] C9 Cat in our 2007 Tribute

Before leaving on a trip I took the coach to Peterson Cat in Portland OR to have the engine serviced, the

valves adjusted and the exhaust brake checked. We had 14900 miles at this time on the engine. On

our trip we had a hard time keeping the coach speed controlled going down the mountains between

Grants Pass and Canyonville heading North on I 5. I started my decent at 48 MPH in 4th gear and tried

to hold the speed at under sixty at all times. I am pulling a new Lincoln MKX with road master brakes.

Going down the hills I would apply and release the brakes, not riding them, and could smell the brakes

heating. The engine warning light would come on and I would loose power toward the bottom of the

hill and I would have to pull over and when I would get to about 35 miles per hour the engine would

restart by itself and every thing would be normal including power. All gauges were normal but this

occurred again on the next long down hill. When we got to Canyonville I fueled up and noticed the

drivers side of our white car was black with oil. We continued over to the coast at Brandon and then up

to Astoria where we are tonight. Then engine has good power no engine failure but more oil on the car.

I will check the oil level again in the morning to try to determine if it is oil or diesel on the car and the side of the coach. I called Cat and they said to bring it back as they had no idea what this might be. Is

the exhaust brake on a C9 useless or do I have a legitimate problem? I know it is not a Jake but I think

there should be some benefit on the road. I can feel it at lower speeds.

myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft® Windows® and Linux web and application hosting - http://link.myhosting.com/myhosting

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 81866
Monte

I assume you are not in cruise control because the exhaust brake will not work in cruise control. Also, when I have the exhaust brake on and my speed is above 60 or so I need to brake a little to reduce the speed to around 55 mph before it will engage and yes you can definitely feel the braking effect and see it in your rpms. You do need to service the pac brake.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348 C-9

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 81869
Monty

I changed to the PRXB PAC Brake for that very reason and now I stay at the speed I want to go.

Bill

2006 Inspire 51652

Towing a Grand Cherokee 2012

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
Monty Kershner wrote:

Before leaving on a trip I took the coach to Peterson Cat in Portland OR to have the engine serviced, the valves adjusted and the exhaust brake checked. We had 14900 miles at this time on the engine. On our trip we had a hard time keeping the coach speed controlled going down the mountains between Grants Pass and Canyonville heading North on I 5. I started my decent at 48 MPH in 4th gear and tried to hold the speed at under sixty at all times. I am pulling a new Lincoln MKX with road master brakes. Going down the hills I would apply and release the brakes, not riding them, and could smell the brakes heating. The engine warning light would come on and I would loose power toward the bottom of the hill and I would have to pull over and when I would get to about 35 miles per hour the engine would restart by itself and every thing would be normal including power. All gauges were normal but this occurred again on the next long down hill. When we got to Canyonville I fueled up and noticed the drivers side of our white car was black with oil. We continued over to the coast at Brandon and then up to Astoria where we are tonight. Then engine has good power no engine failure but more oil on the car. I will check the oil level again in the morning to try to determine if it is oil or diesel on the car and the side of the coach. I called Cat and they said to bring it back as they had no idea what this might be. Is the exhaust brake on a C9 useless or do I have a legitimate problem? I know it is not a Jake but I think there should be some benefit on the road. I can feel it at lower speeds.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 81882
My 2008 Intrgue keeps me ten miles an hour higher than what my cruise control is set to so when I come to a 6% grade I just punch 40 MPH on the cruise and go down about 50 MPH if cruise is not set I have to touch the brakes for the Jake brake to come on

(no subject)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 81883
Thanks for the information. Coming to Portland from Astoria today the engine stalled out 5 times. It is going to Cat in the morning. When the cruise control is on, not in gaged just on, the exhaust brake does not work. The cruise has to be turned off with the cat C9 to operate. I am not using any oil just blowing diesel out the tail pipe. My guess is a torn gasket as a result of the valve adjustment. We will see. Monty Kershner 2007 tribute 260 #81044 2012 Lincoln MKX