Skip to main content
Topic: Hurricane Heater (Read 2311 times) previous topic - next topic

Hurricane Heater

Yahoo Message Number: 53379
We have 2003 Magna with the Hurricane furnace that will not start. We just had a new rear A/C installed. The thermostat is set to come on zones 1& 2 Code readings say thermostat is not on. All other setting work. The unit worked fine prior to the new A/C. Where should I start.
Vic 2003 Magna 6253

Re: Hurricane Heater

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 53384
I'm not sure, but I thought there was a dip switch on the AC unit that needs to be turned on when there is a furnace connected to the thermostat? If the old AC is still around, check the dip switch positions and compare to the new AC unit.

Larry, 03 Allure, 30856

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 53392
Hi vic

there is a board in each of the AC units that are part of the over all heating and cooling system. they are connected to the thermostat with a phone connector, (may not have been reconnected) Also a fuse on each AC unit board as well as a dip switch to tell the thermostat which zone it is. This board also controls the way the Hurricane Heating system cycles. The cycle time is controlled by a delay relay that acts very much like anticipator slide in the old style thermostats.
Had to replace the card because of fast cycling of hurricane zone 2 . This solved the problem. This fix was recommended by the Hurricane folks.

Marv

2001 Intrigue #11314 36'

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 53393
That's good to know Marv because maybe that's why my Hurricane furnace keeps short cycling on zone 2. Thanks!

Larry, 03 Allure, 30856

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 53403
A/C replacement last year I did, the new control i/c board with the new A/C would not let my thermostat work for zone 2, so had to remove the old control board from the old A/C, install that one on the new A/C and the thermostat worked well. Had been warned by a techie that the control boards with new A/Cs will not work with the older thermostats - Dometics way of forcing us to buy a new thermostat when replacing an A/C. Of course Dometic denies any problem with their control boards but now have three that I am aware of that has had the same problem and solution thereto. Happy traveling all.

Ron and Molly, 2001 40' Intrigue #11262, San Diego 619-994-0061.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 53413
Thanks for all that have responded to my question regarding the Hurricane Heater. Now i'm on the right track.
Vic 2003 Magna 6253

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 53450
Ron, I recently had the front Dometic 15k Heat Pump/AC replaced. It (and the Hurricane) worked perfectly with my 5 button Dometic thermostat.

Rich 2002 Magna

Hurricane Heater

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 63007
Al,

For some reason I couldn't reply to your message.
The rocker switch turns on/off the bypass, but doesn't effect the pumps running. I don't have a manual, so I'm winging it. When I cycle the switch, it just turns on and off the red light, but nothing happens.

Tom

Magna 5999

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 63008
Tom,

Inside the control box on the circuit board there is a jumper that can be placed over the pump overide pin that will cause it to run continuously. Remove the cover and look at board and you will see the printing on the circuit boad with something like "pump overide" on it. Mine is in about the middle of the board. You could have a different rev. board though so it might be in a different place. Hurricane has excellent phone support. Good Luck Kev

00 Affinity 5865

Hurricane Heater

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 63010
Al,

For some reason I couldn't reply to your message.
The rocker switch turns on/off the bypass, but doesn't effect the pumps running. I don't have a manual, so I'm winging it. When I cycle the switch, it just turns on and off the red light, but nothing happens.

Tom

Magna 5999

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 63013
On mine, I have two switches. The "CENTRAL HEAT CONTROL" and the "WATER HEATER" switches. I have to have both on to get hot water from the "burner." I have the CO45XL Hurricane furnace.

Larry, 03 Allure, 30856

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 63029
Kevin,

You are correct and thanks! The purpose of that jumper is for diagnostics of the system in order to run the pumps and not the heater. Some nimrod left the jumper in place, who knows how many years ago!

Pumps are now off as they should be.

Tom

Magna 5999