Skip to main content
Topic: Alternator replacement (Read 3556 times) previous topic - next topic

Alternator replacement

Yahoo Message Number: 90478
My alternator quit charging and needs to be replaced.
It is a Leece Neville 160 Amp Model A 0012824 JB. Delco Remy shows that their series 28 SI, 160 Amp, part no. 8600308 is a direct replacement for a Leece Neville Model A 0012824 LC.
The last two letters are different in the Delco cross reference. Does anyone know what those last two letters designate? The main question is: Will this Delco part fit and work? This is important to me as I prefer a new product rather than a re-man.
In addition, the Delco part cost new is only $214 vs $281 + $36 core chg for a re-man Leece Neville unit from Wilson plus $36 core charge.
My source for this pricing is from Finditparts.com in Los Angeles, CA.

BTW, NAPA is quoting $394 for the L.N. Wilson re-man part!
Also, Has anyone purchased any products from finditparts.com. Was the experience satisfactory?

Any help or additional sources would be appreciated.
Daron Hairabedian, 98 Allure 30226

Re: Alternator replacement

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 90479
If you know your way around the alternator, you most likely have a bad voltage regulator it. Unless of course it smoked. I would rebuild it.

Steve & Jane

1998 Intrigue

______

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 90480
I had to replace my alternator some time ago and frond a new unit at Quality Power. See link http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=97
This is a unit made in China and looks identical to my old Leece Neville and has worked flawlessly.
My coach is a 1994 Magna and has the 160 amp unit with DUVAC regulator. Price was best I could find any ware.
Goos luck.

Jim Ferguson 1994 Magna 5131

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 90489
Steve,

Thanks for your input. No, I never took one apart. But I might try anything....mechanical, that is. After all what is the worst thing that might happen. I would be in the same boat that I'm in now.

Just wondering.
1. Would a bench test at a parts supply store reveal a bad regulator or are they simply "go" or "no go" indicators?
2. Would high temp in outer casing indicate that the unit is "smoked"? It heats up while at 1,000 RPM after a few minutes. How hot is too hot?
I will check the temp with my heat sensing gun and report later.
Daron

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 90497
Daron,

I was surprised to find an extensive trouble shooting and repair guide for the alternator in my coach documentation. Might be worth a look.

Greg

'03 Intrigue 11561

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 90508
I took mine to a rebuild shop. They determined a bad regulator, repaired it or replaced it and all is well 2 years later. About 85.00. Look in yellow pages. I removed it took it to them and then reinstalled it. Barrie Boas 94 Concept 5111 --------

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 90578
Thanks for everyone's help.

Greg, I could not find a trouble shooting guide.
A tech advised that a re-builder could charge up to $170 to rebuild my alternator.

Anyway, with some research I found a new direct replacement alternator manufactured by Delco Remy for $214 + shipping at finditparts.com.
Needless to say, at that price for a new unit it does not make sense to go for rebuilt unit or to rebuild my own.
Thanks again. I have learned more that I ever imagined from you all. This group is a wonderful resource.
Daron

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 90639
I roasted mine last summer in Montana and limped to Cummins in Missoula on a Thursday afternoon. They had to send it out of town for rebuilding and I didn't get back on the road until Tuesday. The cost of the rebuild was more than a new Delco. Along with the Cummins charge, I think the total bill was over $500. I was just glad that they rebuilt it properly so I could get going again. Over the winter, I replaced it with a Delco from finditparts whose service I was pleased with. Had to wait a couple of weeks though as out of stock. Naturally, I carry my old Neville as a spare. I also hooked up a remote sense wire and my invertor batteries charge much quicker and more complete. For the reasonable cost of the Delco, I think one should at least carry it as a spare. Might save you $500 and 5 days down the road.

Ed McManus.....'02 Intrigue......11361

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 90647
Ed,

Thanks for your input. I will be "limping along" on my generator & invertor charger about 200 miles until I get to my trusted repair source in Junction City, OR.

Based on your experience I will allow for possible delivery delay. Glad to hear your reassuring testimonial on Finditparts.com. as I had never heard of anyone's personal experience with them before. Their pricing is the lowest that I was able to find at parts houses or online for a direct replacement with a new, brand name alternator. Not a knock-off. I trust the Delco Remy name and they offer a one year factory warranty. Finditparts indicated that Delco will drop-ship direct from the Indiana factory to my tech's shop location. They also offered a 10% discount for providing my E mail address. No big deal but, a nice little bonus nonetheless.

I am glad you mentioned the "remote sense" wire hook up. I read about this in the Delco Remy online installation instruction sheet. They recommend this optional hookup to enhance charging performance but, I was in a quandary as to whether I would apply it. I had never heard of this feature before. Based on your advice, I will ask my tech to wire it as shown in the instructions.

Regarding the remote sense installation, you mentioned, "......invertor batteries". Did you wire the remote sense through the invertor or did you hook-up directly to the starter battery with a separate wire and poly cover?

Thanks for your very useful help, Ed!

Daron

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 90656
Daron....if you can rebuild your alternator for up to $ 170, I would not waste any time in having it done. I was curious on how much I actually paid, and I discovered the rebuild was $348 alone. Along with a couple of belts and 2 hours labor, Cummins Northwest invoiced me for $700. Carrying a spare Delco can be a sound investment .

I tapped off my invertor batteries for the remote sense.

Ed McManus......'02 Intrigue....11361

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 90671
I would be curious where a $214 alternator was manufactured. For giggles I went on line and was looking for a 100 amp alternator for my 1982 jeep and they were over $200-$250 for a standard quality. I paid $400 for the Bosch I put on my jeep.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348 C-9

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 90683
Dan,

I am ordering from Finditparts.com who is an authorized distributor (middle man). The $214 alternator will be drop-shipped within 24 hrs. from the Delco Remy Factory in Indiana. I will pay the $31.60 shipping via UPS ground to Junction City, OR.
But, I have no idea where it is actually manufactured. Who knows where anything is made or where the components come from these days!? Even if it is assembled in Indiana there is every possibility that components come from somewhere else. My only comfort is knowing that it is probably made to Delco specifications and is backed by a reputable factory warranty by an American manufacturer.

For the record, I will report later on what the part ID plate states and if the purchase goes smoothly as planned.
Daron

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 90693
Mine said it was made in Mexico.

I have over 10,000 miles on it and it's doing a great job. A little smaller and a lot lighter than the Leece Neville. It's also a 180 amp instead of the original 160 amp. It doesn't use the yellow wire from the ignition switch. The connection is internal.
Just an FYI, the voltage sense connection should be made to the chassis battery(s) and not the house batteries. The main reason for the alternator is to charge the chassis battery. Charging the house batteries is just a plus.

Barney

07 Inspire 52059

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 90752
On my coach, the chassis battery does nothing other than start the engine. Unless I leave the headlights on, its battery is generally always fully charged. My 8- 6V deep cycle batteries on the other hand need all the help they can get. Its probably a moot point anyhow. As soon as the engine starts, its oil pressure switch energizes the battery parallel booster relay and now all batteries are connected together.
Ed McManus......'02 Intrigue......11361

Re: Alternator replacement Final

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 91396
Just FYI. All who are interested in parts source: www.finditparts.com I ordered my Delco Remy replacement alternator from this source. Very pleased with their customer communication system. I had regular tracking follow-up all along. Delivery took a little over one week. Product drop shipped direct from Delco to my tech, Brian Schack in Junction City, OR. He installed with no issues. It was a direct replacement for the Leece Neville but much less expensive.
I would not hesitate to order additional parts from them in the future.
Daron