Skip to main content
Topic: After market ladder install? (Read 2665 times) previous topic - next topic

After market ladder install?

Yahoo Message Number: 92196

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm the owner of a 2007 CC Inspire 360. I bought the unit used about 6 months ago and am thrilled with it. I'm interested in having a custom ladder installed, and am curious if anyone has done so as an aftermarket install.
> The fiberglass covering the back of the coach is not supported by blocking, but there are three or four areas that look like 3" fiberglass half pipe reinforcements that run horizontally on the inside. Are these good areas to attach a ladder? Trying to install fiberglassed wood blocks to screw into would be very difficult if not impossible without removing the entire back of the coach.

Thanks.

Adam

Re: After market ladder install?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 92206
I have the same coach without the ladder. I did find some pictures of another 2007 Inspire with the ladder installed. Cannot remember where I found them. Will post the pictures in the Photo file.

Craig Spiess

2007 Inspire 360 #51959

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Toad

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 92207

I have an Intrique coach with/out the ladder, but CC did install ladders if requested. The name of the company which produced the ladder is Topline Mfg. 1 562-633-0605. Might check with them to see if they have one for the Inspire.

Larry '08 Intrique 12270

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:06 AM, "craig.spiess@..." wrote:

I have the same coach without the ladder. I did find some pictures of another 2007 Inspire with the ladder installed. Cannot remember where I found them. Will post the pictures in the Photo file.

Craig Spiess

2007 Inspire 360 #51959

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Toad

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 92210
Not 100% sure- but heard the CC built blocking into the tail end of each coach.

I have seen outlines of each - early in the morning- when the dew was on the surface.

Might be able to find the points of strength of the backing with a Zircon Meter

Russ
05 Intrigue

“There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit.”- Ronald Reagan
"Ninety Nine Percent of the Failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses!" - George Washington Carver

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 92212
Brian, can you look at the back of the fiberglass from inside the engine compartment and tell me if they used the existing reinforced semi-round fiber glassed areas (about 3" wide running horizontally) for anchoring it or did they add wood blocking on the back. Is it through bolted or screwed in? There's about 8 " between the fiberglass wall and the coach house. If you could send me a photo I'd owe you an adult beverage of your choice.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 92214
Adam,

My bet is you have the wood blocks inside the fiberglass now. It's not easy to see them. The half pipe bracing you can see is not what you are looking for. The first one above the engine opening is just above the half round brace you can see. Mine is about 12" above the top of the engine opening. There are two more above this one. You'll also have one below the engine opening in the bumper area. This one is easy to see. I only have them on the drivers (left) side. Look closely. My coach came without a ladder also.

Barney

07 Inspire 52059

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 92218
I carry a telescopic ladder purchased at Lowes. Takes up very little space and no problems modifying the end cap. Can be used anywhere on coach. CoriwelshIntrigue 12314

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 92229
Adam There are a number of coach service shops around the country staffed with former CC technicians that would have no problem installing a ladder. Holland Motors installed mine. The lack of a rear ladder is probably why my one year old coach had scratches all along the roof line evidently from some one placing a ladder up against the side of the coach. I can not see how leaning a ladder against the side of your coach can be as safe as a ladder firmly attached to the rear of the coach. Dan 2006 Allure 31348 C-9

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 92232
Dan, The problem with the installed ladder was more one of liability than safety. There was a period of time where coach manufactures suffered some law suits because kids or others having climbed the ladder fell of the roof. The first defence was to install a ladder with a removable section on the bottom. That was not completely successful so for a period they simply didn't install a ladder at all, If the owner installs one then that shifts all liability to the owner. Personally I don't see much of an issue. My 2004 Allure did have the blocking installed in the right place for the ladder that CC would have installed. You had to make sure you installed the right ladder to fit. I never installed one but rather took the telescoping option. The ladder does have some protection on each rung and if that didn't work I placed a piece of pipe insulation on each side to protect the finish. I found a hundred other uses for it above getting on the roof. It is compact and easy to store. I no longer carried a bulky step ladder and for some reason I hate to see them strapped to the ladder on the back of a coach. I still use it around the house as my only ladder. Don SeagerDan Fahrion wrote:
Adam There are a number of coach service shops around the country staffed with former CC technicians that would have no problem installing a ladder. Holland Motors installed mine. The lack of a rear ladder is probably why my one year old coach had scratches all along the roof line evidently from some one placing a ladder up against the side of the coach. I can not see how leaning a ladder against the side of your coach can be as safe as a ladder firmly attached to the rear of the coach. Dan 2006 Allure 31348 C-9

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 92235
Don That is the first time I have heard an explanation for why they quit putting ladders on coaches. Thanks. Dan 2006 Allure 31348 C-9

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 92263
Country Coach stopped putting ladders on their products due to the cosmetic reasons. Once they went to full body paint management felt that the ladders to away from the look of the back of the coach. Especially on Magna and Affinity once they changed there back caps to where the air intake plenums were located on the top of the roof rather than the side. This made the top of the back cap larger and rounded at the top. With that the ladders had to have 12 to 15 inch extensions to them to go over the back cap. This made the ladders unsightly. ALL Country Coaches did have backing in the back caps. Some were located on the passenger side and others on the driver side due to the air plenum location. The ladders are available on order but they take a few weeks to get. That's the real story.... Louie CourtemanchePremier Rv - Oregon(541)998-2640

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 92268
thanks to you, Louie, for the detailed explanation - I was curious as well, and as usual, you answered things perfectly....thanks... jan gould06 Intrigue 11951 On Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:29 PM, "courtemanche.louie@..." wrote:
Country Coach stopped putting ladders on their products due to the cosmetic reasons. Once they went to full body paint management felt that the ladders to away from the look of the back of the coach. Especially on Magna and Affinity once they changed there back caps to where the air intake plenums were located on the top of the roof rather than the side. This made the top of the back cap larger and rounded at the top. With that the ladders had to have 12 to 15 inch extensions to them to go over the back cap. This made the ladders unsightly. ALL Country Coaches did have backing in the back caps. Some were located on the passenger side and others on the driver side due to the air plenum location. The ladders are available on order but they take a few weeks to get. That's the real story.... Louie CourtemanchePremier Rv - Oregon(541)998-2640