Skip to main content
Topic: (no subject) (Read 2213 times) previous topic - next topic

(no subject)

Yahoo Message Number: 92461
I was wondering how many of you out there have replaced your 12 volt batteries with 6 volt ones?

cc allure 1998 30242

Don Van winkle

Changed to 6v batteries

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 92467
I did. Much easier for me to move four 50# batteries than two 100# batteries. Similar amp hour result.

Dean

95 Magna 5280

Re: (unknown)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 92468
Early this spring I discovered I needed 8D batteries in a hurry. My Deka AGMs that were six years old had failed. I called all over EL PAso and ended purchasing NAPA's heavy duty Lead acid batteries, got them installed and out of town 5 hours late. They worked fine for a while but after 6 months when we left for the Calistoga rally they just didn't seem to be holding a charge as well as I expected. Normally I operate the slides with the engine off so as not to overly smoother the neighbors with diesel fumes. So by the time I got to BOB Dickman's Les Schwab to have my tires inspected I figured I might as well get the batteries checked. They were rated at 1400 amps and one measure 664 and the other just a touch higher. The engine battery that was 4 years old measure 1392, that I had purchased from Dickman. So after laying out $700 dollars this Spring $1400 later I had another set of Deka AGM and everything is back to normal. I went to Napa in Junction City and all they would do is give me a prorated credit on a new set of their batteries. The batteries were almost 9 months old and full replacement was 180 days. Lesson learned. Normally I inspect the coach and take a spin every 3 to 4 weeks, but I had skipped an inspection and when we needed to go it had been close to 8 weeks.
TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 92471
My original 2 Deka (908D I think) wet cell batteries lasted 7 years. I went economy ($$) and got identical replacements last month . . . under $500 total. I did the install and did figure out how to do the swap of those 130 lb. units. Yankee ingenuity . . . very little lifting.

Lee (leozbrowski@...) 2007 Country Coach Intrigue 12153
CAT C-13

(No subject)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 92474
I assume you are talking house batteries?

I will be swapping my old 12v Deka/EPM wet cells for Trojan T-105 6 volt wet cells.
The Trojan T-105 seem to be the go to battery as far as 6 volt wet cells are concerned and is widely used in many industries other than RV (golfing and sailing particularly). The vast majority of true deep cycle wet cell batteries are 6 volt.
The decision on batteries really comes down to cost and maintenance. 6 volt wet cells will be the lowest cost, but any wet cell battery (6 volt or 12 volt) will require some maintenance (checking water levels, keeping batteries clean etc.).
If you want to be maintenance free and are willing to spend more $$$, then an AGM battery is a good choice. Just make sure that you have a charger that can properly charge an AGM setup. They are more sensitive to charging issues and you don't want to fry a very expensive AGM battery pack!
Good Luck!
Dan 2006 Allure 430 with tag #31344

(No subject)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 92480
Don,

I have replaced my two 8D 12 volt batteries totaling 500 amp hours. I installed 6 6 volt batteries with a total of 750 amp hours.
George in Birmingham '03 Magna 6298
George in Birmingham
2003 Magna 6298

(No subject)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 92483
I also have six Trojan T-105 batteries for my house batteries. Only way to go, in my opinion. AGMs are too expensive. Twice a year, I check the water levels and top them off. No biggie.

Al Colby 2000 Intrigue 10979

(No subject)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 92484
I recently replaced the two 8D 12V batteries with six, 6V Full River GC224 AGM batteries. Pricey? Yes, but I wanted the true maintenance free option,

Gary

07 Allure 470 #31578

Re:

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 92485
AGM man here. Yes lead acids work great, yes they are much cheaper. No they typically don't last as long because I'll forget to maintenance them. When you actually use your batteries boondocking more then you ever use park power then agm's are the only way to go. It just comes down to how you use your coach and how much you enjoy working on your coach & remembering. Me, well just remembering to check tires is enough thank you!

Jim Lewis

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 4:44 PM To:Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] RE:

I also have six Trojan T-105 batteries for my house batteries. Only way to go, in my opinion. AGMs are too expensive. Twice a year, I check the water levels and top them off. No biggie.

Al Colby

2000 Intrigue 10979

---In country-coach-owners@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

Don,

I have replaced my two 8D 12 volt batteries totaling 500 amp hours. I installed 6 6 volt batteries with a total of 750 amp hours.

George in Birmingham
'03 Magna 6298

Re:

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 92490
I had my batteries replaced a few years ago, and the RV shop convinced me to replace my original AGM's with Trojan T-105's. Biggest mistake I have made in many years! These things are a total nightmare, between the massive maintenance and all of the damage they have done to my battery compartment, wires, etc.
Never again!

Ricardo 04 Intrigue #11830

(No subject)

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 92493
I replaced my two massive batteries with 6- 6 volt batteries, current set are a little over 5 years old and still strong, I have two 140 watt solar panels which keep them charged up when the RV is parked, check the water monthly but only have to add water every few months so they haven't been an issue for me.

Ray 2000 Intrigue 11040

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 92495
To repsond to Lee's post---

When we are parked in our barn & hooked to shore power for a couple weeks or so, our engine mechanic suggest flipping the battery toggle switch to off position (one in the last compartment on passenger side). We were having problems w/ overcharged chassis batteries. We replaced them & since I do this from time to time, no problems since.
Gayle & Wayne
2005 Affinity

To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 12:30 PM Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] (unknown)

Early this spring I discovered I needed 8D batteries in a hurry. My Deka AGMs that were six years old had failed. I called all over EL PAso and ended purchasing NAPA's heavy duty Lead acid batteries, got them installed and out of town 5 hours late. They worked fine for a while but after 6 months when we left for the Calistoga rally they just didn't seem to be holding a charge as well as I expected. Normally I operate the slides with the engine off so as not to overly smoother the neighbors with diesel fumes. So by the time I got to BOB Dickman's Les Schwab to have my tires inspected I figured I might as well get the batteries checked. They were rated at 1400 amps and one measure 664 and the other just a touch higher. The engine battery that was 4 years old measure 1392, that I had purchased from Dickman. So after laying out $700 dollars this Spring $1400 later I had another set of Deka AGM and everything is back to normal. I went to Napa in Junction City and all they would do is give me a prorated credit on a new set of their batteries. The batteries were almost 9 months old and full replacement was 180 days. Lesson learned. Normally I inspect the coach and take a spin every 3 to 4 weeks, but I had skipped an inspection and when we needed to go it had been close to 8 weeks.
TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731

Re: batteries

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 92497
I just replaced 6 AGM Lifelines that were old and noticed that the posts were clean. Never had AGMs and that is what I put back. Yup they are expensive and my battery racks aren't all rusty from off gassing of flooded cell batteries. Ernie Ekberg

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 92498
Does anyone have a recommendation on automatic or automated water adders for flooded cell batteries? The four house 6 volt batteries usually take some water but the engine battery seldom takes much.
It would be nice to eliminate the chore of checking and adding water the first of every month.
It would be easier on my work jeans which eventually develop acid induced holes in them no matter how careful I am.
Bob

2005 Inspire

Re:

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 92499
You posted about that before, and you were told that you overcharged them. I have had flooded batteries for years, and never had a problem.

Al Colby 2000 Intrigue 10979

Re:

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 92500
Ricardo

Flooded lead acid batteries produce corrosive gases. I don't believe any modern multi-stage charging system should overcharge your batteries given that the system is properly configured for the type and amperage of your battery pack.
I don't believe that modern cars are any longer equipped with flooded cell batteries. My last couple of vehicles came with maintenance free batteries which is what I use as starting batteries with AGM for the house.
I suspect that AL is pretty conscientious with his maintenance and lead acid batteries will produce satisfactory service if you want to exert the effort. My coach has plenty of maintenance challenges without my creating more.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348 C-9

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 92501
I would be curious if the installers re-set the charging system for lead acid batteries. AGMs charge at a higher and faster rate and the charging system needs to be changed when switching between types.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348 C-9

(No subject)

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 92502
The RV shop in Yuma that installed these Trojans did re-set the charging system for wet cell bats. When the charging mess began (in a couple of months the battery temp wire was eaten by the junk and there was a 6 foot puddle of white crap on the floor of my storage unit) I went back to the shop and they determined that one of the Trojans was bad. They replaced that one and we headed north.

The floor of my RV barn in Washington ended up with about a 10 foot puddle of white crap and everything in the battery compartment was totally covered. It has remained that way for 2 years but next week we are throwing all the Trojans away and spending a couple thousand bucks to get back to AGM's. Many people have looked at this mess and cannot believe it.
Ricardo 04 Intrigue #11830

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 92508
About a month ago, I put the Profill watering system. It is (was) a real PIA to fill the batteries without it. And all the bouncing around and charging made the batteries leak. So cleaned them up and put on the Profill system. A lot easier but it doesn't eliminate the leaking at the new caps. But you don't have to put on goggles and rubber gloves. Just connect the bulb to the fitting on the battery bank and put the other end into a jug of distilled water. Pump the bulb and when it gets hard, you're done.