Skip to main content
Topic: Hydraulic Slide Repair (Read 2426 times) previous topic - next topic

Hydraulic Slide Repair

Yahoo Message Number: 92710
I'm new to this site after recently purchasing a 2002 Intrigue 36' with 2 slides. Thanks to everyone for all of the good questions and feedback here... I've spent hours reading. I dropped off the coach for engine oil and transmission fluid replacement at an RV maintenance facility in Colorado (Transwest RV) and also asked they look at hydraulic hoses and connections. They contacted me saying the hydraulic mechanism located behind the driver seat for the main slide is in serious need of replacement. The small bedroom slide had minor sign of leakage and someday would need replacement but not immediately. Cost to fix hydraulics for both slides would be about $6500. This is the first coach I've owned and I'd like to treat it gently and nurse it for long life. I'm curious if anyone is familiar with Transwest RV and whether they are a capable shop for this service? Might anybody have knowledge of Transwest in Frederick, CO or recommendations for shops in the Denver area?

John

36' 2002 Intrigue

Re: Hydraulic Slide Repair

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 92711
It might seem a bit inconvenient, but being that close to Iowa I would go there and Have HWH fix your slide issues. They are very fair and are one of if not the best RV service provider out there.
TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 92712
Agree with thomas. I spent several days at HWH with my leveling system and they were very reasonable on price. I also believe that taking your rig to HWH is like taking it home for repair. They know the systems better than anyone and do outstanding work. Their labor rate is $90/hr.

You can stay on their parking lot; 50 amp connection, no water or sewer so go with full fresh water tank and empty waste tanks. You can call and schedule your appointment.
pete 2000 40' Magna CAT C10 #5892
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 92713
I agree with Thomas take your coach to HWH in Iowa. My 11 month experience with a 2002 Intrique is that going to the source for repair is best and cheaper in the long run. If the component manufacturer is still in business they are the best. Been ripped off by RV shops but have no experience with the one you are at. Good luck. Mike # 11422

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 92715
Agree with the others. When I retire next spring, one of the first places we will visit is the HWH factory in Moscow, IA. One of my slides is a bit noisy and I want them to check it all out, including the air leveling system.

Gary

'07 Allure 470 #31578

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 92727
John,

I live in Evergreen, CO and have had Transwest service my motorhome for engine oil replacement. They tried to overcharge me for the quantity of oil 10 gal vs 8. I had also asked them to check for a coolant leak. They told me it was the main pipe from the engine to the top of the radiator and would cost somewhere around $500 plus labor. Luckily this is a manufactured piece and they were not able to obtain it. I subsequently removed the pipe myself and pressure checked it to 50 lbs and it did NOT leak. I only mention these items so you are aware and check on their recommendations. Do you winter somewhere south? It so this group can recommend a service provider. We go to Tucson in January and stay until May. Premier in Tucson is highly recommended if you are in that area. If you are storing your motorhome this winter then the recommendations to take it to HWH are probably your best bet.

Good Luck,
Don

2000 Magna #5854

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 92732
Thanks for replies and suggestions... I appreciate them. I see now I should've inquired here before authorizing the work. Will attempt to stop things today and would then look forward to an excuse for a road trip to HWH.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 92765
John,

You may want to use the search function concerning the hydraulic hoses for the HWH system. I think it was about 2002 that there were some problems with the hoses and a search should find those posts.I also agree that taking your unit to HWH is the best option if you can arrange it. Some dealers and some of our techs on this site could probably fix this for you but take it back home to HWH if it is that bad and $6k+ sounds bad.
I am not sure from your original post what replacement/repair was suggested but unless you are having serious problems with the slides going out/in or you are leaking a bunch of hydraulic fluid take it for a second opinion. These HWH systems are built solid but do search about those hoses. I think many had hoses replaced under warranty by the old CC.
Richard Aquino 2001 Intrigue