Skip to main content
Topic: Ford Edge Toad (Read 1289 times) previous topic - next topic

Ford Edge Toad

Yahoo Message Number: 92834
We have an Edge that we towed for the first time this trip. The battery goes dead even when we stop an run it after 2-3 hours. Vehicle is placed in neutral, ignition in Accessory position as per the Owners Manual and it's dead at the end of the day.
Ford customer service thought maybe the battery was bad but a Ford Dealer checked and it's okay. By the way they could not believe it had to be towed in the Accessory position as even the fuel pump is running as well as other devices.
I now have found other Edge owners who have the same problem. Of course the option of running a line linking coach and toad batteries is an option we know about.
One question is whether an edge can be towed with the ignition off? Has anyone done this? Does the steering wheel lock?
Has anyone contacted For Technical people and if so what was their answer?

Thanks for your input

Carl U 31122

Re: Ford Edge Toad

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 92843
We have a 2012 explorer we tow in the acc off position with no problems. However the battery will still go dead after a few days of towing. I just installed a charge line from coach to toad battery.
RJ. 2005 Inspire 51264

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 92851
Carl

You didn't say what year your Edge is, but I have a 2001 Ford Ranger that is the same vehicle. I turn the ignition key till the dash lights just come on, and then turn it back just enough to see them go out. That frees the steering wheel lock. Note, however, the electronic speedometer will still work while the vehicle is being towed..

George Harper
04 Allure 31093

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 92852
My 2010 Escape tows with the ignition turned as far towards off as it will go while in Neutral. Steering wheel is not locked and the battery has not gone dead. I believe that some of the braking systems require the ignition to be on. M & G brake system uses coach air system so no power is required.
I've been considering the Edge as my next toad.
John

05 Intrigue #12235
10 Ford Escape

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 92854
I had the same problem with my 2011 Escape. Turns out with the key in the ACC position, the radio and the HVAC system are powered up. Also, with the headlight switch in the "auto" position, the headlights can come on if it gets dark enough. I tow with an Even Brake, and if I forget to turn off the headlight switch, the radio, and the HVAC, the battery will go dead in a delay.
So I turn off the headlights, the radio, and the HVAC, and I don't turn the key all the way to ACC. The battery will last several days, though I do start the car and run it through the gears a couple times a day when traveling.
I believe the instruction to turn the key to ACC is to unlock the steering wheel lock, but I believe that, at some point, the Feds stopped requiring steering wheel locks (I don't believe my 2011 Escape has one), so maybe the key doesn't need to be turned at all...

Tim Gerrity
2002 Magna
2011 Escape

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 92859
I have a 2011 Edge with the keyless ignition. The manual says ignition in Accessory, trans in N.
From experience I learned the battery will die if you go several days without running the engine awhile after each day of towing. I also learned that you ALWAYS try to start it in neutral, rather then shift to Park and try to start it. Otherwise you are not going to move until you recharge the battery, for which you must take off the terminals, then recharge. That allows all the car electronics to reboot.

I installed a charging loop to the coach chassis batteries so the car batteries stay fully charged. No problems with this set-up.

Lee (leozbrowski@...) 2007 Country Coach Intrigue 12153
CAT C-13

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 92861
Carl

Been towing a 07 Edge now for 2 years using the same method George Harper uses, and it has worked for us. I use the car radio, when it goes off I know the key is in the right position. Discovered this method after using the procedure outlined in the manual and ended up with a dead battery.
Elton Kossaeth 2K Magna 5894

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:02 AM, Lee Zaborowski wrote:

I have a 2011 Edge with the keyless ignition. The manual says ignition in Accessory, trans in N.
From experience I learned the battery will die if you go several days without running the engine awhile after each day of towing. I also learned that you ALWAYS try to start it in neutral, rather then shift to Park and try to start it. Otherwise you are not going to move until you recharge the battery, for which you must take off the terminals, then recharge. That allows all the car electronics to reboot.

I installed a charging loop to the coach chassis batteries so the car batteries stay fully charged. No problems with this set-up.

Lee (leozbrowski@...) 2007 Country Coach Intrigue 12153
CAT C-13