Skip to main content
Topic: Transfer Switch issue - repair or replace? (Read 9954 times) previous topic - next topic

Transfer Switch issue - repair or replace?

Yahoo Message Number: 94739
Hi,

Well now that winter is over it is time to de-winterize and get to that list of things I didn't fix last fall!
One of them is my transfer switch. I had an issue with it on our last night over Thanksgiving. It would not deliver power to the electrical panel from the generator. So in the middle on the night in a Walmart parking lot I ended up essentially swapping relays by swapping the shore power and generator input feeds to the relays. This worked and let us use generator power for the rest of the trip. I had to swap things back when we got home so that we could use shore power.
I am comfortable sourcing and swapping out the relay, but have not diagnosed the issue enough to know if it is a problem with the power sensing circuitry in the transfer switch or just the actual relay. I believe it is a TRC (so no user replaceable parts inside) - here is a pic of the inside:
http://i.imgur.com/aiMMjd6.jpg
My inclination is to replace the entire relay. The concept is pretty simple, sense power on an input and change to that input after a preset delay, but I wonder if there have been any advancements or technology changes to them. In looking a bit online I found the following models:

Parallas ATS501

http://www.parallaxpower.com/ATS501/ats%20301%20501%20flyer.pdf
WFCO T-57

http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/Transfer-Switches-WF-T-57.aspx?ptype=3&pid=19
Progressive Dynamics PD5200

http://www.progressivedyn.com/pd52.html
Any others I should consider? Who is the gold standard in automatic transfer switches? I also see several units that combine the transfer switch and surge protection. My coach has a separate surge protection module inline (don't remember the model #) so I wouldn't need a combined unit unless they offer something more than I have.

The final piece of my research might be related to why I am having issues. Several posts talk about the transfer switch changing inputs under load and the associated arcing that the contacts in the relay are subjected to. Many people advocate shutting off (or significantly reducing) your load before transferring power. I have never done this, so my contacts may in fact be pitted due to arcing, thus causing the failure.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments!

Dan

2006 Allure with tag

Re: Transfer Switch issue - repair or replace?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 94743
My transfer switch failed and it was a 35.00 board in the switch approx 1x3" in the upper left of the switch, working fine since. Barrie Boas 94 Concept 5111

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 94748
Been there done that - Replace.

Jim, 07 Allure #31570

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 94751
With....which model? Or are they all the same?

To be honest I didn't see much difference, although the quality of the their relays should be a distinguishing factor.
The only real technology I saw was in the combined surge/transfer switch units and I'm not sure that integrating those 2 functions yields any real benefit beyond some space savings or ease of installation.

Who is the BMW or Audi of the automatic transfer switch world? :-)

Dan

2006 Allure with Tag

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 94755
Hi Dan, Just wanted to raise a thought about the genset output, any chance the breaker on the generator may be tripped? Probably a transfer switch problem, wouldn't be unusual, just covering all the bases....Skip 2002 Intrigue 311329

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 94762
No, that is the first thing I checked, output from the genset was good. I have a decent electrical background, so will usually dig until I find the cause. I am going to replace the whole switch, just not sure which unit to buy.

In researching I found that a few manufacturers have gone to a DC coils on the contactors or relays to prevent or eliminate the humming that sometimes occurs with transfer switches. Mine never made much noise, but some have complained about humming. I found the following switches do have DC coils, but not sure about the quality between them.

WFCO T-57 Transfer Switch
Parallax ATS501
Esco Lyght LPT50BRD

They are all priced similarly, so that isn't a good indicator.

Has anyone used these exact models?

Dan

2006 Allure with tag

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 94765
Hi Don, Good you have the background. Avoid the IOTA ITS-50R transfer switch, they have a lot of heat failures and were on voluntary recall with Alfa, Monaco and Keystone...Skip 2002 Intrigue #11329

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 94766
If you have the Todd Engineering PS245 transfer switch, search this forum for a repair of the delay circuit. On mine it was a $2 capacitor, 60 seconds of solder work for the repair once the board is removed.

pete

2000 40' Magna CAT C!0, #5892
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 94772
Don,

When the original transfer switch went about 6 years ago, I replaced it with the Parallax 501. No problems so far and I use it a lot.

Rich 2002 Magna

Transfer Switch issue - repair or replace?

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 102818
Dan,

What transfer switch did you go with and how has it worked out? I am needing to  order one right away. CC charges double for the WFCO T57 that is pretty inexpensive on Amazon.  The Parallax was twice the cost and I was wondering what the big difference is?

Rosemary 2000 Magna #5798

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 102823
I would go with the ESCO

ES50M-65N  and their surge protector. as a separate unit.

Mikee

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 102825
Do you know for sure the transfer switch is bad? It may be a failed surge  protector.

Mikee

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 102839
I have a ES50M-65N in my 2006 Allure. When my transfer switch went out only one side was bad. Take off the cover and you will see two sides. I ordered a new switch on Amazon for less than $200.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 102859
When my Transfer switch went bad it was s small electronic board inside which I replaced 4 yrs ago for 35.00, still working.  Barrie Boas 94 Concept 5111