Skip to main content
Topic: Headhunter Toilet Slow Flush (Read 1954 times) previous topic - next topic

Headhunter Toilet Slow Flush

Yahoo Message Number: 97376
2003 Country Coach Magna #6190

We've been full-timing at a campground since mid-january this year. For the first few months the campground water was turned off so I had to drag a hose from the bath house and fill our fresh water tank a couple of times a week. No city water meant of course we had to use our onboard pump for pressure.

Though aggravating, it worked out fine. After the city water was restored we hooked to it and didn't need our pump anymore. Sometimes the toilet would be a little sluggish when flushing. Sometimes we might have to flush twice, but no big deal.

I don't know if it gradually got slower or not but since there is a waterpump switch in the bathroom, when I wanted a really good flush, I'd turn the pump on, flush, and turn the pump back off. Worked great.

About a month ago, the water pump knocked off. Since we were leaving in just a couple of days to go home for awhile, I didn't do anything about it. We did go home and just got back yesterday. Before we even went inside I walked around and turned the water back on. We went in, wife used the toilet, and it wouldn't flush. The solenoid would click on and the water would swirl a bit but no real movement. I continued to flush maybe a dozen times over the next several minutes and it began to improve, finally getting to the point it could be used..., but for now we're taking the short walk to the bath house.

In one of my water bays there is a small tank that I take to be a captive air tank. Before any of this happened, even with the pump off and no city water, I could still get one flush. I did a little research and based on what I've seen I believe this "accumulator" probably performs a couple of functions when working properly. First, just like in a home on a well, it allows the pump to cycle less and two, if city water flowrate is a little low it can provide a boost in volume to help flush.

Thinking along those lines, this morning I did a test. Flushed the toilet and got the "half-flush". Waited a few minutes, went outside and turned city water off, came back inside, flushed, and got practically nothing (a year ago I would have gotten a full flush under this scenario). Restored to normal and got half-flush again.

This tells me there is no air in my accumulator.

Now, to get to my questions, do these tanks have a bladder? We froze up a couple of times here in January and February and if there is a bladder I'm thinking it may have gotten damaged. If there isn't a bladder, how is air that leaks out or is absorbed into the water replinished? Is it okay to hook up an air hose and pressurize it? If so, what would be the procedure?

I know this is wordy and I have a tendency to over-analyze, but I like to find and then work to fix instead of the other way around. Of course we're going to replace the water pump too but would like to get this issue straightened out as well.

Re: Headhunter Toilet Slow Flush

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 97382
If you can build pressure at all, there is an easy way to test the bladder in that tank. Once you have built pressure, push on the Schrader valve on the tank and if water comes out versus air, the bladder is compromised. However, there is also a check valve on the supply side of that tank. It's there so once your pump shuts off you have that pump pressure or city water pressure in that tank. You could shut all water supplies off and drain your lines and still be able to flush the toilet at least once at high pressure and again at lower pressure because of that one way valve. The idea of the tank with the bladder is to use less water but supply a higher pressure.( the water against the air inflated bladder) I think you have an issue with that check valve. Try what I have suggested and see what happens, that should narrow down your issue. Having a hole in the bladder will just have you use more water to flush the toilet, it should not effect the flush pressure.

Fred '01 Magna #5983

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 97384
Thanks for your reply. I used to be able to get one good flush with both city water and pump off. Can't get one now. It seems to me (although I haven't actually timed it) that it flushes for the same amount of time regardless of the configuration, which makes sense. It just seems there is far less pressure on city water than when the pump is (well, was) running. It also seems coincidental the pump problem and half flush problem occurred so close together. But I agree it seems it could be that check valve.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 97385
You also have a check valve on your pump. I would try to resolve the issue while on city water first, then get involved with the pump, unless the pump check valve is the issue. You don't by chance have your "Tank Fill" switch on?? Those drain solenoids and the tank fill solenoid are convenient but a pain. Those solenoids, at least in my Magna are only good for 40 psi. I just changed my tank fill solenoid.(no easy task.)

Fred '01 Magna #5983

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 97389
Okay, got home and drug the drawings out. I believe I understand what's happening although it's a little unusual. According to my plumbing diagram, the accumulator was supplied by Headhunter and is used only by the toilet. This is backed up by the pressure gauge being labeled Headhunter as well.

Going from the accumulator to the toilet there is a check valve. Downstream of that check valve is the connection where the water pump ties in. I believe the check valve is partially plugged or stuck.

When the pump was working, it alone provided sufficient flow and pressure to get a good flush. With the pump not working, all I'm getting is restricted flow from the accumulator.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 97392
A Headhunter pump requires a Headwater pump. City water will not flush it. Turn the pump on and it will work.

Mikee

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 97394
I have that oil-filled gauge on my system, also. That gauge will read a consistent 60 psi off my pump and varies with city water. If you have that kind of pressure on your gauge, I agree that you have a problem down stream. My coach is older than yours, but I can access with some difficulty, the flush solenoid valve in the piping. You may have a blockage in that valve. Again, if you are only getting 10 to 20 psi on your gauge at the accumulator tank, you have a water pressure issue. On my coach I have a conventional Aquajet pump with a Welltrol tank dedicated to the toilet flush. Headhunter tech support is generally very good.
Fred '01 Magna # 5983

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 97396
Open the attached pdf file if you can. I'm almost certain the check valve between the tank and the toilet is stuck or blocked.

The only flush water I'm getting is what the city water pressure can push through my pump into the "Hose Barb" connection pictured.

If so, that makes sense for all the symptoms I'm seeing.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 97399
What's the water pressure reading on that gauge?? The only check valve I am aware of is the one below the tank that's pictured. In the middle of the picture is the flush solenoid that lets water pass via the timer on the toilet. I think your issue is water pressure, that is why I mentioned as to how much pressure on the gauge. You need at least 40 pounds for a good in rush of water. Are you getting at least 40 psi via your city waster connection?? If your check valve is working properly, you can pressurize your water system to the given pressure of your city water supply. You can then shut it off and check the pressure gauge. You then could open your drains or faucets until there is no water flow. Now go and check that gauge, it should have maintained the pressure of the city water and not drop. If the gauge drops, that toilet water supply is not isolated by the check valve and is probably bad. You may call me if you wish so we do not turn the Forum into a toilet seminar. 781-424-8759

Fred #5983