Skip to main content
Topic: Shudders under load (Read 3845 times) previous topic - next topic

Shudders under load

Yahoo Message Number: 110239
While driving home through the desert, level road, using cruise control, I started up a slight incline. The engine sounded like the trans downshifted and then shuddered or missed. It happened over and over each time the engine came under additional load. Fuel starved? Transmission? It is a C-10 Cat that does not sound happy.
I am in Yuma AZ and need to know of a good Cat/Allison repair place this side of Tucson... ?? Thanks in advance,

Steve Wilcomb
2000 Magna, #5784

Re: Shudders under load

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110240
Check the CAT website for a list of CAT Service Centers.

Lee

VP Publications, CCI

2007 Country Coach Intrigue 12153
CAT C-13

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110242
The first thing you always do after trying with the cruise control off finding the issue still persist is change fuel filters. Always carry some clean fuel with you to fill the filters before final installation. TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731, ISL 400

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110243
Fuel filters I'd bet, the peterbilt dealer at Araby rd and I-8 has service. I'm in Yuma also if you need help
Robert McClernon
2000 Intrigue
40 one slide cummins 375

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110244
Also: Bob's Diesel Service, 928-941-6462. They have done good work for me.
Don Krahling

'01 36' Intrigue, #11238
Yuma, AZ

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110245
Rush truck center in yuma is the first choice. I used empire cat for an easy fix because rush was booked.

Mark

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110246
Sorry to hear about your issue Steve. I recommend checking the fuel filter first to see if it's clogged. If your fuel isn't treated with a biocide you may well have algae growing in the tank and it will completely clog the filter. I had very similar issue on my engine and it was algae. I now treat every tank, particularly if I am stationary for a few weeks. Good luck and safe travels.

Jeff Thurston

'03/4 Intrigue Ovation 42ft, 400 ISL

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110247
Steve could be the fuel pump starving for fuel. Careful it could cause heat to build up in the pump and possible failure

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 110248
Thank you to all that have replied to my shuddering problem. Fuel filters are only 1,800 miles old, still possible I guess but?? I do use biocide in the tank. Perhaps air getting into the fuel supply line as my Wabasto had to have the fuel lines replaced at the tank due to cracking. Hoping it is not the transmission ;-(

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 110249
The BEST in Tucson is W. W. Williams . We just left Tucson and now in Conroe, TX

Call Brian Davis
520-624-8377

1375 West Glenn St.
Tucson, AZ 85705

They have hook ups if needed. Don't hesitate to contact me for additional information.

Good Luck...

Corky Downing
00 Affinity, 5769
805-844-3113

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 110250
Steve,

I also have a 2000 Magna with a c-10 cat and it had similar problems. It would miss on a grade and a couple of times it even died. Filters did nothing. It turned out to to be the rpm sensors on the crank. a cat dealer changed them out and all was good again. Only took a couple of hours to diagnose the issue and fix it. Maybe this will help. good luck.
Ed

2000 Magna C10 5738
Ed Recknagle
2000 Magna 36  #5738

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 110251
It only takes one bad fill up to clog those filters, it happened to me last September in Wyoming...
Robert McClernon
2000 Intrigue
40 one slide cummins 375

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 110253
Bobs diesel service in Yuma. No better service anywhere.

Ray Down

2006 Inspire 51602

Yuma Az

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 110254
I own a c-9 in an Inspire and mine was doing something similar. The transmission was searching between 5th and 6th. Try slowing down or I cease speed on hills and see if this helps. That was the issue on mine, however I had already installed a chip so I set it up to the first setting with an additional 10% increase in hp. That solved the problem no more stuttering on hills.
Mike

2006 Inspire

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 110256
Same exact symptoms with my ISL 400. Lift pump was leaking and injecting air into lines under heavy load.
Ed McManus '02 intrigue 11361

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 110258
It is a performance enhancing product. It reprograms the entire and increases the hp in three stages. Your 400hp cat can go to over 500hp. I go mine from Agriculture Diesel Solutions. Make sure you know what year your engine was built because there is a difference between 2005 and 2006 motors. My coach #51808 has a 2005 motor. I turned the chip up all the way, fully loaded towing a Honda Pilot pulling donner pass at 55mph. Works great on step one, giving you about 30 extra hp and according to my mechanic no harm.
Mike

2006 Inspire
2016 Jeep JKU

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 110260
Hi Mike: The chip works great! I put one on my coach as well. But if you have turned it all the way up you will get more hp, but at the same time so will your exhaust temperature go up and on a long grade it could damage the engine (pistons). Just a thought. I put a EGT probe to a meter and set the range to insure it don't get to hot. TheSensorConnection.com Have a great summer.

2006 42 tag #31396 400 Cummings
Jim and Joyce Stanwood, Wa.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 110264
On your C-10 also check the coolant level. Mine would actually shut down. Because coolant level was low. Engine didn't get hot, just shut down because of the coolant level. I also had a neighbor scan the ECM and I replaced camshaft and crankshaft sensors, turns out that was causing my C-10 to buck and snort. Simple fix. Took me about 30 minutes.
Fred

Magna #5734

Help

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 110271
HI all,

I purchased my CC 2000 Affinity last year and have been working through the issues to get all in working order.
Here are the three issues I need help with;
·        Steps will not retract.  I believe there should be a way to take motor off and bring steps in 1/2 inch then reattach motor.  Does anyone know how to do this?
·        When we use shower it will scaled you.  I believe the mix unit has a problem not bring in cold water.  Anyone address this issue?
·        Only one of the shower sprays allows water to come out.  Any suggestions of how to clean out the sprayer?
Thanks in advance or your input.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 110298
I checked the Agricultural Diesel Solutions website but there was no listing for a C9 so I called their tech line and they do have a Module #11000 for a 2002 to 2005 C9 that sells for $490. He said there was no potential to damage the engine and that the fuel savings claims were legitimate. They don’t sell the module but he gave me the number for Area Diesel in Iowa that does sell them. Their number is 217-854-2632.
Bob Cole
2005 Inspire 51394

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 110303
Bob,

I also have a 2005 CC Inspire with the Cat C-9 engine.
Please let me know how the Module works for you.
I'm mostly interested in improved fuel economy.
I currently average 7.1 MPG on long trips. I would like to improve that by 10 to 15% if possible.
Thank you,
Ron Jacobs

2005 CC Inspire #51264