Skip to main content
Topic: Biocides and Replacing Fuel Filters (Read 2432 times) previous topic - next topic

Biocides and Replacing Fuel Filters

Yahoo Message Number: 110272
I haven't been using biocides during winter storage months. Reading several posts here it seems I've been tempting fate and have been lucky not to have experienced algae clogged filters. I've searched the Denver area unsuccessfully for locations to purchase a biocide. Walmart, auto parts stores, truck stops... it isn't stocked. I'll mail order a supply but before using it I will get a set of fuel filters to carry too. One recent post recommended carrying spare fuel filters and "know how to install them". My question: Is there a trick to installing the filters?

Re: Biocides and Replacing Fuel Filters

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110275
John you need a strap wrench for the fuel filter. I do not attempt to change any other filters myself.

As to diesel fuel biocide, I purchase mine on Amazon, and find BIOBOR JF brand to be effective in both treatment and cost. After 45 yrs in the boat business I've seen more than my share of diesel algae contamination. Safe travels.  Amazon.com: Biobor JF - Diesel Fuel Biocide - 4 oz: Sports & Outdoors

Jeff Thurston 03/4 Intrigue Ovation 42ft 11630 w/2013 Equinox toad.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110276

I suggest getting a filter wrench like the one pictured. Costs a little more but it will never break like a cheap strap wrench.
Don

'02 Intrigue 11427
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110278

John you need a strap wrench for the fuel filter. I do not attempt to change any other filters myself.

As to diesel fuel biocide, I purchase mine on Amazon, and find BIOBOR JF brand to be effective in both treatment and cost. After 45 yrs in the boat business I've seen more than my share of diesel algae contamination. Safe travels.

Jeff Thurston 03/4 Intrigue Ovation 42ft 11630 w/2013 Equinox toad.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110285
An add-on question about replacing fuel filters --- I've seen posts that say to prime the filters when installing, and posts that say to NOT prime. Searching online I find instructions both ways, depending upon engine manufacturer instruction. Does anyone know which is correct for the two filters on Cummins ISL manufactured in2001?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110293
Try a marine supply store like West Marine or Boats USA.
Steve, 11382

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 110299
Good find Myron. Same exact price with free shipping on Amazon Prime, and I agree, it's the best value out there for this particular treatment. Safe travels.

Jeff 11630 03/4 Intrigue Ovation 42 400 ISL, 88K miles and growing.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 110302
John, I have a Cummins ISL. The lift pump will prime the filters, but you have to cycle the ignition on and off, and I've found it takes quite a few cycles to do it. I prefer to prefill the filters and not ask the lift pump to do all that. The easiest and cleanest way I've found is to use transmission fluid to prime the filters. Buy the cheapest you can find. Carrying these small one quart plastic bottles for use on the road takes less space and gives higher assurance of cleanliness than carrying a fuel container. Burns just like diesel with no smoke. I got the tip from a Cummins rep.

George Harper
04 Allure 31093

An add-on question about replacing fuel filters --- I've seen posts that say to prime the filters when installing, and posts that say to NOT prime. Searching online I find instructions both ways, depending upon engine manufacturer instruction. Does anyone know which is correct for the two filters on Cummins ISL manufactured in2001?

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 110304
Do you use Dexron or Transynd or does it matter?

-Dennis Holmes

2006 Intrigue #12055

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 110311
Dennis, you raise an interesting question: would a synthetic ATF burn in a diesel as well as a petroleum based one? I have my doubts, but if you follow my suggestion to use the cheapest ATF available, I can guarantee you will be good.

George Harper
04 Allure 31093

Do you use Dexron or Transynd or does it matter?

-Dennis Holmes

2006 Intrigue #12055