Skip to main content
Topic: 50 amp cord reel (Read 1268 times) previous topic - next topic

50 amp cord reel

Yahoo Message Number: 110307
Seem to have an unusual problem with my reel. I took the reel down from the ceiling of the storage bay to replace the original 50 amp cord. Took the old cord off and installed a new cord. Plugged the new cord into the 50 amp outlet before securing the reel to the ceiling just to make sure it worked. Everything worked fine, all power inside the coach working as it should. So now to secure the reel to the ceiling. As soon as the first screw touches the hole it came out of the circuit pops. I then took all connections apart thinking I must have a loose connection. Replaced everything and cord and reel work fine laying on the slide out. Tried to secure reel to ceiling and breaker pops again. WT....??? Any ideas?

Tom

2005 Inspire 51177

Re: 50 amp cord reel

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110308
Must have a potential difference there someplace? I guess you are tripping the main not the circuit that runs your drill (probably a cordless drill).

So there is voltage on the cord reel and when you insert the screw it sees ground (metal frame) and pops. Or there is voltage on the meta frame and when it sees the grounded cord reel it pops.

Maybe a digital tester and check for potential difference.