Skip to main content
Topic: Front A/C, Heat, Vent Blower Ruckus (Read 1801 times) previous topic - next topic

Front A/C, Heat, Vent Blower Ruckus

Yahoo Message Number: 110348
Hi Guys,

Have a 2003 Country Coach Lexa. When activating the front Dash AC, Vent or Heat controls I get a grinding, shuttering noice from what I assume is the blower motor when I set the fan control on High. It even gets louder when I activate the passenger side vents. Anyone every experience this before? It sounds like a sputtering chain saw. I can attached a photo of what I believe is making all the rukus if need be. Thanks for your input as always.

Appreciatively,
David

Re: Front A/C, Heat, Vent Blower Ruckus

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110351
I feel your pain. Bought a 2000 Magna two years ago. For some time it worked well, then some noise, then one fan quit. Took the coach back to the dealer. They replaced both fan motors and reassembled the unit. As soon as it was turned on, one of the new motors quit. Installed another motor. Both motors ran , but very little air was produced and one fan made noise at high speed. Obtained a wiring diagram and found one motor was wired backward and one fan was rubbing the case. Heat gun used to stretch the fan case cured the rubbing and the motor was correctly connected.
Last problem, still to be fixed, is to get all of the vacuum operated valves to operate correctly. As you can see, this has been a long, expensive process. Good luck with yours.
RUSS WARREN, Bremerton, Wa

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110363
My first problem when I got my bus over 10 years ago was as you described. It was the drivers side blower. There is a rubber boot or hose that connects to the side housing where the motor is. I took this off and was amazed the amount of dirt and dust that came out when I tapped it with a hammer. Problem fixed! Not expecting it to last, I ordered a spare motor, which is still in its box. At the end of the motor there is a small rounded cap. I assume there is a bronze bearing under it. I took my smallest drill and made a hole in the cap. I then squirt a small blast of WD-40 or silicon spray using the wand that comes with the can. On occasion I noticed the blower slowing down so I would crawl under and tap it with my hammer while the fan is running. In fact I keep the hammer in the compartment under drivers seat.

Ed McManus....'02 Intrigue 11361....ISL400

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110373
Thanks Russ

We're the fan motors installed by going through the front Dash? Or from the front of the coach with the front end of the coach opened revealing the front generator?

Could you share the cost associated with the replacement motors? Time it took to remove and install? Associated labor cost?

Thanks
David

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110376
Two panels below the dash were removed. All eight air hoses were disconnected. Freon and water hoses were pinched off and disconnected. Several electrical plugs and vacuum lines were disconnected. Bolts that were holding the plenum assembly to the floor were removed. The plenum assembly was then moved aft and taken to a workbench.
After removing quite a few screws, the case was opened exposing the two fans. Reversing these operations got the unit reinstalled. Work was completed by reconnecting the freon lines and refilling the coolant system, and connecting the water lines and topping off the coolant.
Initial removal required marking every point that had to be disconnected so that reassembly would be correct. Initial removal took about four hours. Work bench time including installing the motors and testing them was about three hours. Reinstallation took about four hours.
Since there were several cycles in and out, I'm not sure how much time has been charged to this work and some more is still required. Total cost will be over $3k.
Russ Warren, 2000 Magna