Skip to main content
Topic: Boondocking electrical (Read 1759 times) previous topic - next topic

Boondocking electrical

Yahoo Message Number: 110419
We are getting ready to leave on a trip with some multi day boondocking stays in NV and UT. Usually I am plugged into 50 amps, so I was curious of any tips you all had to operating in boodock mode. I have an electric fridge (draws 5 amps 120v, 60 amps 12 v DC) and auto genstart, and 1000AH AGM battery bank. I was going to set autogenstart at 12.3v, top off 12.5 volts (2 hours), low voltage battery cutout 11.6 volts, quiet time 2100-800. I suspect I want batteries full at 12.8v before I go to bed to let the fridge make it thru the night. I may only need AC a few hours in the late afternoon. Can you carry on with microwave, and TV until 10PM?

Any tips? 
Greg

06 Magna 6642
2006 Magna Rembrandt C13
2016 Jeep GC toad

Re: Boondocking electrical

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110420
I'm really glad to see this post with the exact questions we would have should we ever think of doing this with our 06 Inspire and our much loved Samsung refrigerator. Thanks from us too in advance for any info.

Mary Frederick
06 Inspire 51784

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110421
We have two solar chargers on our roof, boondock frequently, and have rarely needed to use the generator unless we choose a parking spot with lots of all day shade. We don't plug in RV campgrounds unless we are staying awhile. The solar chargers also eliminated the battery discharge issues when the unit is in storage for lengthy periods.

Michael

2006 Inspire 51748

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110422
Hi, Michael just wander what type frig you have, gas or elect, what size solar panels, how many house battiers, were getting to add solar and a elect frig soon, still look at all ways to go. Thanks Charles 2000 magna 5886

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110424
I don't recall the refrig mfr, but it is original equipment and both LPG and electric. We have four house batteries and one 8D engine battery (the size of 3 typical batteries.) Our engine is a Cat C9.

I asked the man that maintains our coach about the solar installation and here is his response:

"Looking back in your system I believe you had the selling dealer install solar system on your house batteries and we installed solar system on engine batteries.  The systems we install on motor homes like yours are 2QTY 150 watt solar panels with a duo charge controller 20 amp that charges house batteries and engine batteries.

The company we use is RENOGY solar systems low voltage solar panels for motor home applications. 10 year warranty on the panels."

He maintained our old Beaver Monterey for many years (and bought for himself when we went to the CC.) I like them and their work.

He is Mike and his business is:

Mikes RV and Marine
4310 Santa Rosa Ave Santa Rosa, CA
Phone: 707 291-9539
Email: mikesrvandmarine@...

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110432
I've been traveling full time in my 2000 CC Allure for about a year now, and have had quite a few times boondocking.

I have a "normal" home fridge - 110v only

I have 6 golf cart batteries

I find that I can run the generator 2x per day, about 1.5 hours each time to maintain everything. My computer and monitor, TV for 4-6 hours, lights, pump, etc. (all my lights are now LED) I typically run it about
9-10am after the overnight, and then around dinnertime - which does
 allow me to use the microwave while cooking then.

You will not be able to run the microwave off your batteries without greatly reducing the charge available after since it likely pulls very nearly 15A. I just use the propane stove while boondocking.

Hope this helps!

Wes

2000 CC Allure 36'
Currently in Mexico
Wes Owens
2000 CC Allure 36' #30443
Full time, western US summer, Mexico 6 months over winter.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110433
HI Wes, thanks for the info,i have a 2000 magna 36' and the batt are about the same location as yours, we have only 2 8d for house and 2 8d for the engine, how many batt do you have for your engine, and what type frig do you have. Thanks Charles 5886

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110441
My fridge is a GE, measures 28"w x 64"t - doesn't say inside the cubic foot size. Does say 6.5A.

The previous owner did replace the fridge with this one. It fits fine (bolted down), and I have a 6" wide space on the side to put booms, mops, etc. I'm not sure how much space the original fridge had, but his of course is really big and nice. When I lived in Hawaii, I had a similar sized LG fridge that was rated at 2.5A, which would be what I would choose. I'm sure the 6.5A is only when it initially kicks on. The outside of the fridge doors is flush with the face of the wood trim - the handles protrude into the kitchen, but not in a bad way. I use child safety locks on the 2 doors so as to not dump the contents of the fridge.

For the house, I have 6, 6 volt golf cart batteries - they don't quite fit in the factory battery tray, but they do fit in the bay space OK.
These were installed by the previous owner.
For the engine I have one really big battery, which is I assume the standard type.

There are some really big battery disconnect switches, one for the domestic, and one for the engine battery, built into the wall so that they can be turned on/off from the last maintenance bay. Not sure if this setup was standard or the previous owner did it.

I could do some pics if anyone was interested.

Wes 
RE:

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 am (PDT) . Posted by: driveit55

HI Wes, thanks for the info,i have a 2000 magna 36' and the batt are about the same location as yours, we have only 2 8d for house and 2 8d for the engine, how many batt do you have for your engine, and what type frig do you have .
Thanks Charles 5886
Wes Owens
2000 CC Allure 36' #30443
Full time, western US summer, Mexico 6 months over winter.