Skip to main content
Topic: Baja (Read 1892 times) previous topic - next topic

Baja

Yahoo Message Number: 110554
We just returned from our first trip to the southern tip of Baja and enjoyed a week in Cabo San Lucas. We flew in and it was just one week to look around. We want to return with the motor home and stay for a month or so. Has anyone had any experience with caravans or solo they would like to share?

Jim Coshow

2005 Inspire 51501

Re: Baja

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110555
Jim,

Me personally...No I haven't traveled in Mexico as I'm too young (only 46) BUT I know lots of people that have including my parents who have for the last 13 years. They normally go down the west coast mainland just north of PV, LaPenita RV park is there place. They did go down the Baja a couple years ago for the winter, they didn't take a coach they took the truck/camper.

There is lots of info on traveling in Mexico out in internet world, one that I know of is a you tube blog called "Keep your daydream" they traveled down to Mexico this winter and their adventures in Mexico are now coming on-line. If interested I can get you in touch with my Mom (Shirley) who loves talking about traveling in Mexico!

Jim Lewis

Infinity Coach

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110560
Sorry. Hit send before done with previous post. We spent 3 months in Matzalan back in 2007. Travelled on our own. But that was before some of the drug cartels and their problems.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110564
We were Tail Gunners for a Fantasy RV Tours caravan of 15 rigs down the Baja to Guerrero Negro to see, and pet, grey whales and their calves.

A two-week trip. All enjoyed the experience.
Highway 1 is very rough, lots of potholes due to the rain. The desert flowers were magnificent.

DavidW

06 Intrigue 11993

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110578
Be careful down there if you go by yourself. I have a friend that was racing down there and had his tow vehicle and race car with enclosed trailer stolen right out of a parking lot in front of a Hotel. We think it was the police that were in on it. Not the safest place to be driving around by yourself especially at night. If I was going down into Mexico, I would go with a group of travelers to be on the safe side. Happy trails.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110580

I have traveled in main land Mexico by myself for years without any problems. You have to be careful and use common sense.

NEVER travel at night. ALWAYS use RV Parks so there are other RV around before I leave in the tow car. A lot have closed so I don't know how current the Church RV Camping book is but it will give you routing and phone numbers to call.
You will need a road map of Mexico. I personal like a atlas over the GPS because it give you a bigger picture be prepared that the atlas is not organized like a US atlas is. Example you will be on page 17 and the continued map will be on page 28. It takes some home work. I also used separate Guia Roji books for the major cities. Street signing/highway signing is very poor. I stay on toll roads when ever possible.

Crossing the Border: I park on the US side overnight. Cross into Mexico at 8:00am. Most of the difficulty is in border states. Since the bad guys have been up most of the night, by the time they wake up, I'm a couple of hundred miles south. Where you cross is important.

I would be happy to talk to you about all this. Feel free to call me anytime (520-873-8001).

Good luck.

Michael

05 Inspire #51381