Skip to main content
Topic: What kind of TV to put in a coach that is stored in (very cold) wint (Read 1691 times) previous topic - next topic

What kind of TV to put in a coach that is stored in (very cold) wint

Yahoo Message Number: 110599
I am replacing the original CRT TVs in my 1998 coach, and wondering if there are any types of new TVs that are better or worse for RV application. Also my coach is stored in sub-zero Minnesota winters, so a LCD (or anything with the word "liquid" in its name) is probably not a good idea. I would ideally like to not have to remove the TVs every fall and re-mount every spring.

Any suggestions or ideas, pictures, etc. from others who have made this update in similar vintage Country Coaches would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark M

1998 Intrigue #10661

Re: What kind of TV to put in a coach that is stored in (very cold)

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110600
I went shopping for both front and rear tv's with a tape measure. I found the one's at Best Buy that came closest to the cabinet opening. I then made a wooden frame for the bedroom had about three inches on each side and wrapped the frame with black fabric and screwed the fabric frame to the motorhome wood frame. The bottom and sides of the front tv only had about an inch. I just took a narrow strip of wood and wrapped it in black fabric. The black fabric looks good and looks like a factory installation and I did not have to make new cabinets with stain and varnish.
Dave 2005 Allure # 31284
--------

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110607
We are located in Minnesota too and we just have flat screen TVs in our coach. They don't seem to be affected by the cold... Not sure if they are LCD or LED or ??? Fred

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110652
I did find out some info on cold temperatures. According to the Best Buy sales guy, there is a brand called "Supersonic" that has models made for RVs which at least have a better chance of withstanding cold temperatures that the average TV. They don't stock them at the store so I looked online, and they are readily available on Amazon etc. in varying sizes.
I have also found several options for wall mounts that are quickly & easily detachable, so using one of those I can bring the TVs in for the winter when the coach goes into storage.

Thanks for the replies, and special thanks to Jim G for sending me pictures and advice from his experience in doing the same kind of thing to his similar vintage Intrigue.

Mark M

1998 Intrigue #10661

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110653
We are the same with living in MN and having newer tvs. No problems with cold.
Mary

06 Inspire 51784

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110654
We live about 40 miles east of MSP in Wi. We also have newer LED Tvs, No Problem from cold.

Jeff

06 Inspire 51948

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110655
If requirement was a cold weather TV's installed in RV's then Prevost would be using them. From factory and convertor built to operate in temp's down to 0* degrees. Nearly all convertors use Samsung Smart TV.
I have not seen a TV issue posted due to cold weather operation in my 15 years of RVing. affinity # 5851

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110656
Almost all tvs are LCD. When they say LED it is describing the type of backlighting the LCD has. LCDs do not light up, they are just a color filter for the light behind them. A tv is either backlight with white LEDs or a fluorescent white light. The LCD filters the white light to either red, green or blue. I am an engineer and have been designing projectors and tvs with LCDs since the 1980s. No issues with LCDs in cold weather. Just pick a brand that will hold up to vibrations of the rv. The only tvs that are not LCDs were the old plasma tvs and the old projection DLP tvs. Plus the new OLEd tvs are not LCDs. Not sure if the expensive OLed tvs will hold up in a rv. Good luck.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110743

Sorry soo late with response but was not near storage area. Previous owner had a conversion done before my purchase so I don't know who did it but here are some pics for you. Very happy with the work and think it looks original. Can't help much with your low temperature concerns but I think they have been addressed.

Jerry & Brenda Azzara
'99 Intrigue Chefs Delite

What kind of TV to put in a coach that is stored in (very cold)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 110608
It appears that neither LED nor LCD TVs are able to withstand VERY cold storage temps (typically below -4F), so you may have a problem unless you can keep the interior of your Coach above that temp. Very interesting question. We have access to a 15 amp 115 volt circuit where we store our rig and keep a small space heater running that maintains the interior above freezing. If you can't do that, you may have to remove the TVs for Winter storage.

Don Hutchins

'08 Allure 40' tag, Cat C-9 w/ Cat Tranny
Don Hutchins
'08 Allure 470 #31613
40' w/tag, Cat C-9 & Cat tranny