Skip to main content
Topic: What Next? Trickle Charger for Jeep (Read 2008 times) previous topic - next topic

What Next? Trickle Charger for Jeep

Yahoo Message Number: 110725
Everything was so simple with the Honda CRV! We are still trying to get everything operational for the 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland for summer travels. We argued with the dealer who finally included the death wobble fuse/switch in the deal (thanks to folks on this forum telling us to get them to include this in the deal). Now, I just saw that the MoPar Cherokee Flat Tow User Guide says in BOLD: It is highly recommended that a battery charger/maintainer is used while the vehicle is in Tow Mode to prevent complete battery drain for system activation longer than 3 hours. WHAT? Who drives just 3 hours a day?

The Dealership says this trickle charge should come off the motorcoach. Question: those of you who tow Jeeps with the death wobble tow mode that shuts down your systems in two, do you have a trickle charge coming off your rig? Is it necessary? If so, what did you do? Is it an easy adaptation?

NOTHING is worse than pulling up to a busy RV park, unhooking then finding a dead battery on the tow. Several years ago, this happened regularly with another car. Not fun.

HELP?

Shirley OBrien
Intrigue 06

Re: What Next? Trickle Charger for Jeep

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110726
We tow a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and have had no problems with the battery going dead or even weak. I am not familiar with the “Death Wobble Switch”.

Jim Brumfield 2002 Allure

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110728
We tow a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and have a charge line from the coach. Works well Darrell and Marsha
2007 Intrigue 12075

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110730
You might try a battery disconnect device for the negative side of the battery. Used one for years, works great and no possible dead battery...

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110731
You cannot do that with any car that has electric power steering and a steering computer. That will create a death wobble for sure.

Mikee

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110739
Late last fall I bought a 2017 Jeep Cherokee . The dealer checked with Jeep to see if I needed the wiring kit for the wobble? The parts department showed me the memo from Jeep that said "" that wobble wiring changes are included in the 2017 production units .

My solution to the battery issue is to run a wire through the tow connector from the MH battery through 20 amp Diode then a  fuse link  ( 6 inches, two wire sizes smaller than used for tow cable)  then to tow wiring cable and on to the car positive  Post on the car battery. The diode will have about .6 volt drop. That will result in about 13.6 to  13.4  volts at  the car battery when the MH charging output is at 14.2 volts and 13.2 v and  when the MH is at 13.8 v.  I also went through a 20 amp regular fuse at cars + post for insurance.  It is enough to trickle charge the car battery.  I have found this to work great and have used it on towed  cars for 25 years.

Marvin Swenson

36 ft Intrigue 2001  # 11314

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110740
Yes, on the charge line from the MH. My installer offered to add a charge line for my Ford Edge.