Skip to main content
Topic: Heating question (Read 2261 times) previous topic - next topic

Heating question

Yahoo Message Number: 110799
Situation: 2007 Intrigue, HydoHot on electical element, Heat pumps, thermostat set for electrical use -- Is it normal for the floor board heater fan to run when the system calls for heat?

Re: Heating question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110800
Additonal info ... heat pump is not starting, so that may be the issue. Will have to investigate reason for that.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110801
Carl, your set-up should be the same as my 07 Intrigue. With electric element ON there is no sound, just hot water being heated. When your thermostat calls for house heat the fans go on, giving warmed air through the floor vents (zone 1 and/or 2). Switching on diesel burner turns on the HydoHot, you will hear the burner. That results in hotter water but consumes diesel fuel. In either case the floor board fans run, which you'll also hear.

Lee Zaborowski

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110802
My 2007 Inspire has been doing the same thing although not all the time. I think it is probably a faulty thermostat.

Craig Spiess

2007 Inspire 51959

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110803
So, I've been playing and this is what I find -- zone 1 and 2 will run the heat pumps in electric, zone 1 will run the furnace fans in gas (zone 2 is not hooked up to hydro hot). Zone 3 will only run furnace fans. Perhaps, and I don't have the paperwork with me at the moment), the bedroom AC unit is not a heat pump unit and only the forward 2 are heat pumps.

Only other possibility would be a thermostat fault, but that seems unlikely as everything else seems to be working properly.

I'll be home Sunday and can look at the original dealer invoice to determine if all 3 were heat pumps.

Any other thoughts?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110804
Lee, I understand that part. Can you heat your bedroom with the heat pump or does it only work off the hydro hot furnace? From what I can determine, zones 1 and 3 can use the furnace, zone 2 is not hooked up to the furnace. Zones 1 and 2 AC heat pumps will turn on when heat is called for and the thermostat is in electric mode. My issue (and it may be normal) is that with the thermostat set for electric for zone 3 and it calls for heat, the furnace fan is the only source of heat.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110806
Your thermostat has two options for heating your coach, the gas option runs the hot water option (hydro hot) the elect option runs the heat pumps Darrell

2007 Intrigue 12075

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110815
Darrell -- yes, that's why I questioned the furnace vent runnning while the thermostat was set to electric. My only idea for that is that zone 3 is not a heat pump and, as such, automatically reverts to gas mode even if electric was selected.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110817
Carl:

I've had a similar experience, thermostat set to electric and the HydroHot vents produced the heated air not the heat pump. I believe the problem is that the outside airtemp is too low and if the heat pump were to operate it would freeze up, hence it switches to the HydroHot. I want to say that the outside temp has to be above 45-50 degrees.

John Beach

06 Allure 31309

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 110820
Thanks for the reply John but, in this case, the temperature shouldn't have been an issue. The forward units worked fine. I'm fairly sure that while I was testing things, the temps were above 50, but I can't swear to it.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 110821
The temp shouldn't be a problem. Heat pumps are rated at 47/17 degrees if they start forming ice they reverse cycles and thaw themselves out. My coach has 3 heat pumps I would find it very unlikely that they installed a ac only unit with the others being heat pumps. It sounds more likely to me that you have a control problem

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 110823
On our national if the temp is more 4 or 5 degrees lower than the setting it turns on furnace instead of heat pump.