Skip to main content
Topic: Dead battery (Read 1764 times) previous topic - next topic

Dead battery

Yahoo Message Number: 111053
I am sitting in a campground near Port Sanilac MI. We accidently switched on our spotlight for several hours which completely drained the 8D chassis battery. I have had it on a a rapid charge (30 amp) for about 2 hours but still not able to start.
My question is would I be able to jump start from our toad which is a 15 Ford Edge or is there something else I should try? Battery did come up enough to bring in slides and retract jacks.

George Magee
06 Inspire 51639
Cat C9

Re: Dead battery

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111054
George.........Your coach should have a battery tie switch in the console to the left of the drivers seat.

Press and hold the switch to tie the house batteries to the chassis battery. Start engine while holding the tie switch.

Dave Trotter

01 Intrigue 11215

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111057
And you used the battery switch to combine yout house batteries to start
Robert McClernon
2000 Intrigue
40 one slide cummins 375

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111061
George, if you boost switch didn't help then your boost solenoid may be bad.

Are your house batteries charged? If they are, you can jump from the house batteries to the chassis batteries. That's all the boost switch does. You only need to connect the positive side of the batteries. Both sets of batteries are connected tot he chassis for ground to the rest of the systems.

Trying to charge your chassis battery with your inverter/charger could be a slow process. My coach has an Echo charger to keep the chassis batteries charged while connected to shore power but it only puts out 15 amps to the chassis batteries. It would take a long time to charge a set of chassis batteries at that rate.

pete

2000 40' Magna CAT C-10, #5892
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111065
Our coach battery died two weeks ago in a rest area 32 miles from Boise where we were scheduled for the annual PM. It turned out that the battery had gone to the happy hunting ground due to old age. To start the coach, I connected the house batteries to the chassis battery with a heavy gauge jumper cable. I ran the generator for about 20 minutes and then started the coach with the jumper cable in place. Once the engine was running I removed the jumper cable and we proceeded on to Boise and our service appointment. I successfully used this approach on another occasion when the Echo-charger fuse had blown for no apparent reason. I have a new CAT chassis battery and Magnum battery combiner.

Bob

'05 Intrigue 11872

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111066
If the batteries are hot and swollen, think u need to replace.

Wally & Elta Mae

2007Allure 470 #31535