Skip to main content
Topic: 1998 Intrigue TV conversion to flat screens (Read 1346 times) previous topic - next topic

1998 Intrigue TV conversion to flat screens

Yahoo Message Number: 111062
OK I am trying one more time to post my story and pictures of my 1998 Intrigue TV conversion project.
This time I am uploading the pictures to a folder within the group; maybe that will work: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Country-Coach-Owners/files/1998%20Intrigue%20TV%20conversion/

I have successfully replaced the CRT TVs (and the housing that I must have hit my head on hundreds of times) with flat screens, and did some other media-related updates at the same time. This is the story, with some lessons learned and pictures.

Front TV:
1. After removing the old CRT TV, housing, and VCR (and some other satellite dish stuff the previous owner had left behind), I replaced the VCR with a smart Blu Ray player, and also put a Ethernet & wi-fi router in the space where the VCR used to be. (I ran Cat6 Ethernet from the basement compartment under the driver's feet up through the A-pillar to connect to the WAN side of the router; I connect to a 'land line' Internet connection next to my barn when I am parked at home)
2. I re-purposed the oak frame from the original TV, modified slightly to fit the rough opening, installed a few new backing boards to screw things into, and mounted the frame permanently around the opening. I then made some new pieces of oak finished to match the existing cabinets - one to fill in the gap on the right side of the VCR housing, and another to be a flip-up door covering the TV hole which will be where the TV wall mount attaches to, while still allowing access to the wiring etc. in the compartment even after the TV is mounted. I used the same concealed hinges and grabber latches as the other flip up doors to the right of the TV.
3. Installed the TV wall mount, made a 1" wire hole, and ran the connections to the TV: Coax antenna, HDMI from the Blu Ray, Ethernet, aux audio (connected to the dash stereo), and 120V power. Mounted the TV and adjusted the mount for best viewing angle*.
4. I used a piece of 1x8 board and some of the padded vinyl upholstery from the old TV housing to make a panel to cover the opening above the dashboard under the TV. I still need to make a cover for the ceiling to hide the wires and hole from the antenna etc.; this will either be another vinyl-upholstered board or perhaps something to match the ceiling carpet.

Bedroom TV:
1. I removed and discarded the original oak frame from the CRT TV. Made a matching oak flip-up door that fit the opening and matches the width of the closet door below it. Mounted that using the same concealed hinges and grabber latch as the other cabinets, still allowing access to the wiring etc. in the compartment even after the TV is mounted along with some new semi-concealed storage space.
2. Installed the TV wall mount, made a 1" wire hole, and ran the connections to the TV: Coax antenna and 120V power. Mounted the TV and adjusted the mount for best viewing angle*.

Notes:

*The biggest piece of advice I would offer for a conversion like this is to select your TVs very carefully, especially check the viewing angle! The first TV I bought for the bedroom was a 19" Supersonic brand which was not only cheap, but also supposedly made with RV use in mind. Features like 12v power option and extra ability to withstand cold temperatures (for winter storage) etc., and it also had a built in DVD player. But when I got it and tried it out, it was very apparent that the viewer must be at exactly a perfect 90 degree angle to the screen both horizontally and vertically otherwise the color and picture looked absolutely horrible. I complained to the (online of course) seller and manufacturer, and was basically told this is the way it is, and that viewing angle can vary from TV to TV and even different units of the same model. What a piece of c$@p answer. I ended up returning it.
The front TV I went to Best Buy so I could actually see the TVs I would be getting and check out the viewing angles and features, I got a 24" Samsung 4500, and it is fantastic. Clear sharp picture from any angle anywhere inside the entire coach. I will be using that "in-person" shopping method to get a new 19" TV for the bedroom.
I found that for my front TV a 24" screen size was a good fit for my cabinet redesign, and because I watch TV so little while RVing that having anything larger was not worth the extra effort required to make it fit. Others I have seen (by the way thank you to Jim Green and others who have sent me pictures and advice) have made space for the next size up, a 32" screen, but these required modifications to the existing storage compartment doors to the right of the TV and potentially other modifications to the left housing in order to make it fit.
Another feature of the Samsung model I selected is that there is an aux audio out jack on it that does not cut off the main speakers when something is plugged into it, like a headphone jack does on most TVs & radios. I wanted this so I could have a permanent connection to the dash stereo's aux input to play TV sound through the overhead speakers, but without having to reach behind the TV to plug & unplug each time. This TV has a setting in the menu for audio to be internal speakers or aux or both.

Overall not too difficult of a project for a DIY-er. I'm happy to answer any questions or offer any advice from others doing similar things.

Thanks,
Mark M

1998 Intrigue #10661

PS: The old Panasonic CTR TVs are no longer available, and I destroyed the old head-bumper housing in order to get the vinyl for the new dash pad, so these are no longer available.

Re: 1998 Intrigue TV conversion to flat screens

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111069
Hi, Mark,i reworked our front tv in our 2000 magna and the wire from the roof from the cb ant i cut out and field the 3'' hole with ridige insulation and then coverd the hole with a battiery smoke det with a emg light. Charles 5886