Skip to main content
Topic: 2000 Affinity - How to tighten up steering (Read 2176 times) previous topic - next topic

2000 Affinity - How to tighten up steering

Yahoo Message Number: 111081
Hi,

we have a 2000 Affinity with approx. 100,000 miles. In preparation for an upcoming trip, we have bought shocks and want to see if we can tighten up the steering...as there seems to be an inch or two of play in the wheel as we head down the road...back and forth with our hands even just this inch or two seems to tire you out on a long trip.

Any tips for what else to check or replace as we have the front wheels removed? Thank you!

Casey and Jim in Denver

Re: 2000 Affinity - How to tighten up steering

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111083
I'd suggest you also check tie rods and bushings and steering box. We put a Safe Steer system on to tighten our steering up and also said to help in case of a blowout . Good trip to you.
Mike Frederick
06 Inspire 51784

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111087
Think I would find a good truck alignment shop. If your in central Florida go to Josam in Orlando.

My 2000 Magna had me correcting the steering all the time. Turned out in my case it was the drag link. I replaced the drag link and tire rod ends as the rubber boots around the grease fittings were splitting.

pete

2000 40' Magna CAT C-10, #5892
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111088
Definitely get the alignment checked. Sometimes if the toe is not set correctly and the coach will wonder. It will feel as if there is slop in the steering.

Britt

2004 Intrigue 11836

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111089
> Definitely get the alignment checked. Sometimes if the toe is not set correctly and the coach will wonder.

I was wondering about that, too.
KWH, 2003 Allure #31035 

-- "We establish no religion in this country, we command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.
Church and state are, and must remain, separate." Ronald Reagan, October 26, 1984.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111091
I have a 2000 Allure w/ 108k miles -

There is an adjustment on top of the steering box, 3/4"" wrench/nut with a slotted screw in the middle. Loosen the nut, then while someone gently rocks the steering wheel back and forth, tighten the screw. Make sure the nut is loose enough so that it doesn't go tight while turning the screw, then when done tighten the nut. That will take out some of the slack from wear. If you have a smart phone, put it on selfie, then you can hold it over the box while you look at the screen so you can see it.

I also discovered my steering wheel nut was loose, like the nut that holds on the steering wheel. Not sure why that would have been loose, but obviously that also helped.

Doing those two took me from about 3" of steering wheel movement to 1".

I also plan on removing the 90 degree gear box that is before the steering box, rotate the shaft 180 degrees and reinstall. I don't think there is much play (or maybe any), but if there is play from 99.99% of the time being rubbed on the same spot on those gears, that will fix. On the small shaft size going in/out of that gear box it's difficult to tell if there is any play. It might be 1-2 mm play on the small shaft, but when it goes to a big steering wheel, that might translate to 1/2" or more of play.

Wes

Currently in Novato, CA
Wes Owens
2000 CC Allure 36' #30443
Full time, western US summer, Mexico 6 months over winter.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111093
We recently had the "opportunity" to replace the steering gear box and drag link ends on our 2000 Affinity when the seals in the gear box started leaking pretty dramatically while we were in the Dallas area. I had been planning for the drag link since the rubber boots has disintegrated so while the gear box was being done, I had them replace the drag link ends as well. We're 42' w/ tag, almost 100K miles as well. My coach uses the Sheppard M110 gear box.

The steering control was immediately noticeably improved. Nothing in the alignment was checked or altered. Problem is that I don't know which component affected the steering control. I haven't owned my coach long enough to know how my handling before/after these repairs compared to when it was newer. In my limited experience I felt like it was never as good as this coach should be before the repairs, but that it was fairly comparable to the few mid-level pushers I have driven. Now it's quite nice.

In my researching, I found rumors that the drag links on this configuration were famous for being loose, and found lots of Monaco owners replacing the Sheppard M100 with TRS boxes to improve control, and/or having the M100 tuned to improve handling. I never found much about the M110, but the shop lead where my work was done said the Sheppard boxes tend to be tight. So, I don't know what's accurate (though I suspect there's variation across similar components at a minimum). I need to do my tie-rod ends one of these days at those boots are all torn as well, so I'll get to see if that has any handling impacts as well.

That's my recent experience. While I did not enjoy the bill, I am enjoying the improved handling. It would be nice if someone could advise on a more scientific way to isolate the various components to know where to focus your efforts.

Chris

2000 Affinity #5695, 42' tag, CAT C-12, DS B&B

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111095
Hey Chris,

Good to hear you had improved handling results. I'm considering drag link ends and tie rods as well. Also have the Sheppard M110 (M11OPEQ1). Did you get a rebuilt or go with the updated version (M11OPJW3- which I don't know is even available anymore, or if there is a newer version) or which? Guess what I'm asking is did you have a new gear box option or rebuilt and if new, do you know the model number and can you provide the source? Would like to buy a brand new gear box if available.

Thanks,

Keith

2002 Affinity 42' with tag #6123