Skip to main content
Topic: Check Engine light monitors what? (Read 1406 times) previous topic - next topic

Check Engine light monitors what?

Yahoo Message Number: 111149
I have been involved replacing my low coolant sensor, and read in my manual that this will trigger the CHECK ENG light when low, along with "other things". Does anyone know what those "other things" are? It sounds like there are a number of engine operating parameters that will trigger the ECU to throw that light on dash. I was wondering what else besides low coolant did that.

Greg

06 Magna 6642
2006 Magna Rembrandt C13
2016 Jeep GC toad

Re: Check Engine light monitors what?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111153
Yes you can swap parts randomly for a long time and a lot $$$'s if you don't know what the code is. Any sensor that effects the emission output of the engine can flip a code as part of it's job not because the sensor is bad.

Ray

They say wine improves with age! As I enter my golden years, I say age improves with wine! The Born Loser

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111166
Hey Greg - Sorry this did not work out! (Did you rule out the damage by shipping to the new sensor?)

The Sauer Danfoss fan controller connections can get dirty and or build up resistance that manifests into unusual ECM reactions:)!

I believe I recall when we talked that you showed me the Source Engineering Wax valve(?) for fan cooling duty. Wondering if you have completely bypassed the FCU? If not, cleaning the harness again with electrical cleaner and then dialectic greasing the fittings - might not hurt:)!

Of course, in the spirit of the CC family. Perhaps the best thing you can do, is just leave the keys in the ignition (Cabinets stocked with fine wines...) - and I'll come take that little coach off of your hands!!! (It's what CC brother's do for each other!).

Will follow this post, and wish you luck!! Best,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111167
I think there has been some confusion over my original question. I am still awaiting my new low coolant level sensor in the mail (the first one was damaged in shipping), and I suspect this will solve my problem. My question was more to, what other things can throw that yellow CHECK ENG light other than low coolant. The manual talked about this, but only mentioned low coolant level along with "other" things. And I know the diagnostic codes will show all the operating parameetrs that will throw the code. I was just hoping for a more distilled list, the "most popular" if you will... but that's ok, I guess it is not available.

That said, the wine is always available for you Smitty!

Greg

06 Magna 6642
2006 Magna Rembrandt C13
2016 Jeep GC toad

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111168
Again, my CHECK ENG light is not on. I was just curious, after reading manual, why the low coolant alarm is buried in the more broad CHECK ENG light. I would have thought low coolant level would have it's own light, so you know to check coolant level. But now I know, if I see CHECK ENG light, I will darn sure check the coolant level in surge tank sight glass first. After that, break out diagnostic tester and pull codes.

Greg

06 Magna 6642
2006 Magna Rembrandt C13
2016 Jeep GC toad

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111171
Something as simple as gas cap not on right will trip the light.