Skip to main content
Topic: Chassis breaker problem (Read 1288 times) previous topic - next topic

Chassis breaker problem

Yahoo Message Number: 111155
After a three hour drive from Yuma to Mesa AZ and parking in an overnight location my coach died totally. The engine quit, dash went dark, steps would not extend etc. After taking a deep breath I checked the chases breaker, 105 amp located in my rear bay and pushed it to reset. Everything came back on..... Drove across the street and reparked and it happened again but would not reset... The outside temp was near 100 degrees so everything was hot. In a couple of hours I again tried to reset it and it reset. Next morning I took it to see Eric Olmsted at his new location, Autoplex. He thought it was caused by having new Lifeline batteries as chassis batteries. Not clear on the connection??? But his advise is pretty good. Anybody experience a breaker problem? Could the breaker just be weaker over time? They are 17 years old, Thanks in advance,

Steve Wilcomb
2000 Magna, #5784

Re: Chassis breaker problem

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111165
How long have you had the Lifeline's in for Chassis duty?

And yes, at least conventional home like circuit breakers can get 'weak' and trip too early.

But... sure worth chasing down to root cause:)!

Please share more on the Lifeline concern for Chassis, and what root cause ends up being:)!

Best of luck,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111169
I can't see a LifeLine battery causing a breaker to fault. I have been using LifeLines as a chassis battery for almost 16 years. If the ambient temp was 100, the breaker itself could be seeing close to 125 or higher. I would suspect high temps causing your problem.

Don

'02 Intrigue 11427
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111173
The only contribution I can see the Lifetimes making an impact would be that Lifelines take a higher current. Combine that with high temp and older breaker possible issue.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111175
Hi Smitty I just received this letter from Lifeline after stating my concerns:

Hi Steve;

This is just simply not true. Maybe back in the 80's this may have held true but battery technology has come a long way and our batteries, especially the 8D's, have plenty of power to start almost anything. As a matter of fact they are using our 8D's in a lot of military starting applications, but one in particular is the new Littoral Combat Ship (LCS). Trust me they did their share od research and testing to determine the best battery for their application, and they chose ours.

Mine will remain as chassis batteries.

Thanks,

Steve Wilcomb, 2000 Magna #5784

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111184
Thanks for sharing. And cool that they got back with you so quickly.

That takes, or should take, the Lifeline question out of the formula.

And that was a valid point that Lifelines can accept a higher charge rate then many other types of batteries. But as Don pointed out, he's used his for some years now. And most BIRD systems that feed power over to the chassis after the house batteries are in good charge shape - send less power then is fed into the house batteries bank. (At least as I understand it...).

Good luck on finding root cause:)!

Smitty
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)