Skip to main content
Topic: Shutting off All Coach Battery Power while stored? (Read 1826 times) previous topic - next topic

Shutting off All Coach Battery Power while stored?

Yahoo Message Number: 111203
I recently acquired covered storage for my 03 Allure, which is a plus. My problem now is that my solar panels are unable to acquire enough sun light to keep my batteries fully charged. I have turned off all master switches on the inside of my coach, and the chassis battery switch in the bay with my fuel filters. Problem now is that there is still a .5 amp parasite draw on my batteries. Is there any way to turn off all power going to the coach/truck side from the batteries, without actually disconnecting the batteries?

Thanks,

Bill B

03 Allure 32'
350 Cummins

Re: Shutting off All Coach Battery Power while stored?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111206
Bill:

Feel free to give me a call if you like.

Kevin Waite
541-953-6162

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111207
The coach still draws too much power when all the switches are off. Best to plug into a 110v or disconnect the ground to the house batteries. The chassis batteries seem to hold up fine with the disconnect switch on the off position.

2005 Intrigue Suite Sensation #11890 Cummins 400 ISL

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111209
On my 07 Intrigue, with just the house switch and chassisbattery switch off I can go amonth and thegenset will start.

Lee Z

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111211
Thanks Lee. My coach only has the one switch. I've been used to having two switches, my coach only seems to have the one.

Bill

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111216
As mentioned, the safest way to assure zero parasitic drain, is to disconnect batteries completely.

Adding a blade cutoff switch to chassis and house battery bank - is a onetime expense and makes the Off/On easier.

Another option, if you feel the storage is safe, and the access to sun is not too far away, is to add single portable charger to cover trickle charging. Either a stand alone Battery Tender, or other, product. Or adding another circuit breaker to feed a cable from a portable panel into our solar controller.

I believe Gary (SMLRANGER on IRV2 Country Coach) shared some pictures on what he set up as a while in storage temporary panel mount to his ladder. (The back end of his coach had enough sunshine during the day to feed in some power for battery maintenance.) Do a search on his handle on IRV@ CC forum.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)