Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Protectant (Read 1193 times) previous topic - next topic

Tire Protectant

Yahoo Message Number: 111330
We are getting ready to sell our 2006 Inspire and have heard about putting 303 Protectant on the tires for UV protection and to make them look good. I once read somewhere that putting any product on your tires will invalidate the warranty. Anyone know about this? Thanks so much. Sue Shuckhart

2006 CC Inspire Genoa 51672

Re: Tire Protectant

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111331
Sue, the first thing you want to do to your tires is to give them a good bath with soap, water, and a scrub brush. Dry the tire and then coat with the 303. Let sit a few minutes and then wipe off. Reapply and let sit and then wipe off the excess.

Using 303 will not void any tire warranty.

Don

'02 Intrigue 11427
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111335
303 is fine. You just don't want to put any petroleum based product on your tires. Don's advice is all you really need to do to have them looking good.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111340
The SDS for 303 calls it the chemicals "proprietary ingredients", but does not mention any petroleum based ingredients in the safety or flammable sections. That does not mean that it will not effect the sidewall protection that is formulated into the tire when it was manufactured.

A quick way to test any product? Clean the sidewall with car wash shop and dry it off. Then, apply a small amount of the product you want to use on the sidewall- for example, 303 applies as a clear milky liquid, correct? Wait 5 or 10 minutes and then use your finger to wipe off the tire.... if your finger is black, then the product is affecting the sidewall.

With that being said, if you start to apply a dressing on a tire, then you have compromised the ozone protectant waxes that were there at the beginning. Once you start, you need to continue to apply dressings, for if you stop, the sidewall has lost it's original ozone protection and will crack.

Car wash soap and water is the best practice.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111400
I too use 303. But may change on our next set of new ties, to a product that former owner and all around nice gent (Shares his knowledge with many of us over the years!!) Don Seager pointed me to.

Amazon.com: SunBlock For Tires® Tire Protection Kit: Automotive

He'd buy a quart at a time, and apply them to new sets of tires. A one time effort. As I recall Don said it had more of a flat look, which is OK with me, a that is one of the reasons I use 303. It does not leave the black glossy look that many tire dressings do. And, it does not attract and keep dirt:)!

Worth looking into as an option!

Best to you and all, travel safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 Allure 31017

(And if Don still pop's in from time to time - Hey Don!!!)
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)