Skip to main content
Topic: Avionic Structures Hinge and Door (Read 2019 times) previous topic - next topic

Avionic Structures Hinge and Door

Yahoo Message Number: 111363
My Avionic Structures hinge has worn, allowing the door to sag. To raise and close the door I have installed a shim on the bottom of the door, which works on a temporary basis. I am now in need of a permanent solution and unfortunately the manufacturer is out of business.

I have contacted several CC repair shops and the solution seems to be a new custom door. Next on the list to contact is salvage yards.

My question is, has anyone encountered this problem and how did you solve it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John Beach

06 Allure 31309

Re: Avionic Structures Hinge and Door

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111365
Butch at Fountain RV in Lakeland, Florida has repaired these. I'm not sure how but I think they remove the door and redo the hinge somehow. Maybe Lynn Potempa can shed some light on this. I believe she had hers done. I am just continuing with the shim under the door which is lasting a long time. Just jack up the door and insert under the hinge and lower the door. It's a special plastic that I can't remember the name of. I have a bunch of them cut and stashed for future use and could send you some if you provided me with a mailing address. Text me at 308-380-4353 or email dennisjholmes@...

-Dennis Holmes
2006 Intrigue

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111367
I just replaced the hinge on my door and it is like new. I called Kevin and ordered the hinge and had Eric Olmsted install it in Mesa.

Steve Wilcomb

2000 36' Magna, #5784

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111368
Thank for the input Dennis. I've got a call into Butch, hopefully he's got a fix. Everybody I've talked to has a fix for other doors, except the Allure Avionics Structures door.

John Beach

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111369
Thank, I don't believe the Magna uses the Avionic Structures door.

John Beach

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111371
Premier at Tucson (now closed) fixed mine with a hard plastic shim.

DavidW

06 Intrigue 11993

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111372
John

Glen at OMC fixed our sagging door. Do not know what he did. He also found a factory mfg issue which fixed our door leak.

Dan 2006 Allure 31348       
Dan

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111374
I have a 2005 Magna with a door that began sagging and was difficult to close a few years ago. Summer of 2015 Oregon Motorcoach did install the shim under the door which helped. Also, I received a similar shim from Eric to put under the hinge which I did not get installed.

However, spring of 2016 Butch Williams' techs at Fountain RV did what appears to be a complete and more permanent repair of the door. They removed the long pin and inserted pieces that they made after measuring, into the appropriate hinges. Afterward they repainted the areas damaged by the repair and the misaligned door. To date the door is working well. The inserted pieces will not deteriorate. Butch certainly can give a much better explanation.

This was not inexpensive but well worth it because the door was at the point of not latching both latches and I was worried that it would come open while driving.

Lynne Potempa
2005 Magna 6484