Skip to main content
Topic: Leaking toilet (Read 1860 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaking toilet

Yahoo Message Number: 111376
I have a Sealand Traveler model 510 toilet and on our last trip had a problem with water not shutting completely off and bowl overflowing. Once I flushed again, it filled up okay and didn't overflow, but I also noticed water leaking from where the incoming water line connects to the water valve. I have ordered a new water valve and spring assembly kit, but if water leak is due to the water hose connection, has anyone replaced the water line and how? Looks like the water line goes into the wall somewhere and no way to track its location from basement. Appreciate any assistance!

Steve

2000 Intrigue

Re: Leaking toilet

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111377
Hi Steve,

I have rebuilt our same model toilet several times since we bought our '01 Intrigue #11238. I would suspect the valve, but I think you could cut off the tubing and extend with a shark bite fitting and a new connection to the valve if needed. I bet it's the valve leaking tho.

Don Krahling

Yuma, AZ Escaping this weekend for cooler climes

If I can help, call me: 562-743-6858

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111380
Thank you. The valve doesn't look too difficult, but this evening I also noticed a small drip coming from the back of the toilet around the vacuum breaker, so looks like I will be rebuilding the toilet....the vacuum breaker looks like a more difficult thing to replace since you can't see behind the toilet very well. Would I need to remove the clamp and separate the bowl from the base to get to the back easier? I appreciate your assistance!

Steve

2000 Intrigue

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111384
Steve,

The siphon breaker is held in position because it is inserted in a rubber grommet, which in turn inserts into the porcelain bowl rim. The grommet is replaceable without separating the upper from the base, but on mine, there is not much clearance between the toilet and the rear wall. A mirror helps.

Have you ever replaced the flush ball and seal? If not, you might consider that also. I have replaced mine at least 2 times and maybe 3 since we bought it new. It gets to not holding water in the bowl. It is not a particularly difficult job, you need to separate the bowl, and in our coach, there is no extra clearance to work in. A challenge for aging knees and hips.

BTW, the parts are all available on Amazon.

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111385
Actually I went ahead and ordered the flush ball and seal kit in case I had to remove the bowl, so since the bowl will be removed the vacuum breaker will be easier to replace also. Hopefully everything will work out easily...I'm certainly no plumber! Thank you again for your expertise!

Steve

2000 Intrigue

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111493
After basically rebuilding the toilet entirely with new water valve, spring cartridge, flush ball, and vacuum breaker it appears the leaks are gone and toilet is holding water again. I still had a very small drip around the water valve, so I snugged the water line and clamp a bit more and so far so good....I'm no plumber! Next project...every year seems I have to replace the weather stripping around my screen door. Each year I use closed cell foam stripping and it always flattens out, doesn't adhere well to the metal frame and looses its shape. Is there another product I should be using that will be a permanent solution? Thanks to all of you for always providing such positive feedback and assistance!

Steve

2000 Intrigue

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111498
Steve,

My toilet just stopped working. Water will fill bowl but door wont open. I have cleared and clean the tank, checked the fuse all's good but still the trap door won't open. Any suggestions? Bob

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111500
Hi Bob

I am not sure what brand or model your toilet is, mine is a Sealand Traveler 510. There is nothing electrical on mine, so no fuse to check.
However, after understanding how all the parts work on mine, it sounds like maybe either the spring cartridge broke, or the shaft that goes from the cartridge and attaches to the flush ball broke. On mine, when I use the lever to flush, it enacts the spring cartridge which pivots the shaft of the flush ball which then moves the ball to dump into the black tank. If you are getting water in your bowl when pressing down on the lever, then it would appear that your water valve is still functioning correctly. Hope this makes sense and helps you!

Steve

2000 Intrigue

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111506
Thanks.

Found that there is a switch for the electrical function for the unit. Turned off the water, opened and closed the switch, pressed the two buttons that control the toilets flush and water twice as instructed and Boom success.