Skip to main content
Topic: Frequency of changing hydraulic fluid for fan controller/power steer (Read 1380 times) previous topic - next topic

Frequency of changing hydraulic fluid for fan controller/power steer

Yahoo Message Number: 111387
The large canister of hydraulic oil for fan control/power steering has a label on it saying to "Change element every 6,000 miles". Does this mean just replacing the 3 stacked filters that often but not necessarily the fluid? I replaced fluid last year about 6,000 miles ago and it still looks in good shape.

I once had a PDF file of Country Coach maintenance and tech tips written by a country coach service manager several years ago that addressed this topic but I mistakenly deleted the file.

John Coleman

'02 Intrigue 11467

Re: Frequency of changing hydraulic fluid for fan controller/power s

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111398
John,

Because our 'island' is a little smaller than yours ;)

I have swapped my filter / fluid replacement on to a time basis

I replace the 3 filters on a 3 year timescale (anywhere between 6,000 and 10,000 miles, depending upon winter journeys)

I sample the fluid annually (very impressed with Tom Johnson - Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service ) and rely upon its analysis report to schedule fluid replacement (Tom will advise you from the particulate count of the fluid if you need to alter the filter change schedule)

I only replace (all) of my fluids when the analyst advises - to date I have 'saved' 000's of $ I would have otherwise have spent on 'un-necessary' fluid changes (Last hydraulic fluid change 4 (nearly 5) years ago when some pipes replaced)

Hope this of some help

Ian S.

Exeter, UK - currently north of Scotland 2005 Allure 430 #31321

Re: Frequency of changing hydraulic fluid for fan controller/power s

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111412
Ian, I like your process of routine analysis of fluids... thanks for passing along the link to JG Lubricant Services. If I'd used that service last year it might've prevented an unnecessary costly repair. While traveling I started getting lots of engine oil out of the crankcase breather tube which made a mess of my toad and the rear of the coach. Took the coach to Cummins NW in Oregon and they diagnosed the problem as being the result of a small dent in the oil pan and also a need for a larger breather tube. They installed new pan and breather tube at cost of about $2600 and I was on my way. At first the problem seemed fixed, but after returning home to Colorado and getting the coach out for a few exercise runs this past winter the oil blow-by problem resumed. Back to Cummins in Denver and this time they conducted oil analysis to confirm diesel fuel in the oil pan. The CAPS fuel system was letting fuel into the crankcase and needed replacement. This time the problem is fixed.

I'd feel more confident having analysis of various fluids on a routine schedule. Appreciate your suggestion.

John Coleman

'02 Intrigue 11467