Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Quetion (Read 2004 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery Quetion

Yahoo Message Number: 111402
Had an unusual situation this morning. Pretty hot in Central Oregon close to 90 now. I heard a gurgling noise from my house battery bay and smelled out gassing. I am plugged into 30 amp (at best) power and have the max draw set down to 12 amps per side. I turned the battery charger off, since no need to keep charging the batteries as they were on float. The gurgling stopped and all seems well.

I'm concerned a bit since I just picked the coach up from storage and, while there, a cell had gone bad on the chassis batteries while plugged and one blew up. Have new Inter-State chassis batteries now. House batteries are about 6 years old, but have been little used except for refer use when traveling (does the inverter pull from the batteries when in motion? I think so) No boondocking.

Any thoughts? I'm showing 12.5 V on each battery and am using one air, which pulls the draw from about 119-120 down to 114-115.

Thanks,
Dave Glen

'06 Magna 6591

Re: Battery Quetion

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111417
Addendum

It looks like I have a bad cell in at least one of the house batteries. One is quite hot to the touch and another adjoining one is quite warm. They are 6 years old. I believe I've read here that it is not advisable to replace a single battery or perhaps two. True? What is the conventional wisdom about how long AGM's last?

Thanks,
Dave Glen

'06 Magna 6591

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111418
I think the life span is the number of times they are cycles from full charge down to 50 %, and not the particular age of the battery. I got 6 years out of the first set 5 years on the second and am on my 3rd year on this set. TWI 2004 Intrigue 11731.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111419
At 6 years old, I would say you got your money's worth out of them. I have heard of some lasting 8 years, but weird stuff can start happening with low batteries (low voltage/high current flow). I would just replace them all with new Lifeline AGM's.

Greg

06 Magna 6642
2006 Magna Rembrandt C13
2016 Jeep GC toad

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111420
Would be interested in anyones experience changing to Lithium batteries

Wally & Elta Mae

2007Allure 470 #31535

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111437
just replaced all my house batteries with lifeline.....old ones lasted 7 1/2 years

call Tom 770-634-7530........great price and service Luther Wikle

2006 Affinity 6600

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111439
So what physical size are they and if you don't mind price?

Ray

They say wine improves with age! As I enter my golden years, I say age improves with wine! The Born Loser

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111443
They are GBS bat. 5 200 ah. Size 10 tall 28.5 by 19.5 ins. 8500.00 with all parts but cables . bms, shunt.monitor, etc was in kit.