Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing air springs (Read 3123 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacing air springs

Yahoo Message Number: 111456
Hey-

I've managed to get a hold of a new set of air springs for my 2000 CC Allure 36', and am about to install.

On the fronts, it appears that the air fitting would have to be dis/connected to the hose only by removing the flooring above. Pretty much zero clearance it looks like.

Has anyone done this replacement before, and if so, have any tips?

I'm replacing as it seems like if one of my air bags did burst, it would be a 100% show stopper. I do drive down into Mexico, and so it just seems like a prudent maintenance on 17 year old bags. It did take a full 6 months to get them made by Firestone. My current bags have lots of tiny cracks in them. I'm not sure what an expected lifespan would be for these air springs.

Thanks,
Wes Owens

CC Allure #30443
Currently in Nevada
Wes Owens
2000 CC Allure 36' #30443
Full time, western US summer, Mexico 6 months over winter.

Re: Replacing air springs

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111474
VERY interesting thought Wes. So now I'm wondering - how many CC'ers have had air-bag failures, and at what age? As you say: a burst bag would be a major event!

Don Hutchins

'08 Allure 470, 40' tag, Cat C-9 w/ Cat tranny
Don Hutchins
'08 Allure 470 #31613
40' w/tag, Cat C-9 & Cat tranny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111481
My 99 Intrigue had 2 leakers and I drove from Abilene TX to Tucson and made it Eric changed them and shocks. They had lasted 200,000 mi.

Gary Glenn

2006 Magna 6622

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111484
We recently replaced the air springs (bags) on my 2000 MAGNA and a friend's 93 MAGNA (Gilling Chassis). My bags were weather checked and his were losing a little air. On my bags the weather checking went almost to the first layer of reinforcement cords. There was 2 layers of cord. I cut one apart and it looked like new on the inside.

We did the work ourselves and I can provide some details and information on air spring (bag) replacement. Please email me if you would like the details as it is to much information to post.

Frank

2000 MAGNA 5766

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111490
My '02 Magna lost both tag axle air bags at 96,000 miles, last spring. One let go like a pistol shot. The other was leaking like a sieve.

Tim Gerrity
'02 Magna #6081

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111504
Hi, Frank,i have a 2000 Magna with 102000 miles and would like to replace air springs soon, where and what part number would be nice, how long did it take to replace them. Thanks Charles 5886

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111505
Going on my second month trying to find rear air springs. Appears they are made in batches which take up to 10 weeks to make. We Have gone back and forth with Winnebago on part numbers and from many other suppliers with confusing results and very widely ranging prices. Finally gave up and brought the coach to Bryan's Auto, Truck & RV Collision Repair Center in Lake Wales FL. where I will leave the responsibility of getting the correct size to him, but only after a month of trying to find a available airsprings (airbags) on my own. Since my Coach is at 10 years and 90k miles dont need the headache of a blown airbag on the road.
There have been seveal experts suggesting, modifing the suspension system and useing heavy duty truck airsprings, but would like to keep the system as designed.
Call Bryan or Kenny at 863 638 2374 when you get tired of dealing to with people that either dont have time or dont care!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111507
Have you tried Source Engineering, seems like they have a Air Bag system.

Wally & Elta Mae

2007Allure 470 #31535

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111509
You didn't state the model or year of your coach. The Dynmax frame is assembled with discreet components. On my 2000 Magna the front and rear suspensions are Ridewell. There is a manufacture label plate located on the suspension assembly. The Ridewell label plate gave me the part number, serial number and capacity of the assembly. Once we had the label plate information an email to Ridewell got me all the information I need to maintain the suspensions including the air bag part numbers. Finding the label plate can be difficult.I when to manufacture's web site, to find the location of the label plate. The rear label plate was where they said it would be, not so much for the front, but we did find it.

Finding the manufacture's label plate is the surest way to get the correct parts.

Frank

2000 Magna 5766

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111510
I did same contacted Ridewell. I had no trouble finding airbags for the front in stock, shipped directly from Firestone. There were many other suppliers as well. I did switch from Goodyear Originals to Firestone but I think the good years might be available as well. Perhaps a 2000 Magna uses different airbags than a 2002.

Rich 2002 Magna

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111519
Rich, do you still have the part numbers for the bags? I'd like to keep the number just in case. Mine should be the same (2002 Magna 40. #6089) Thanks, Rick