Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Wear and Oil Consumption Comparisons with... (Read 2304 times) previous topic - next topic

Tire Wear and Oil Consumption Comparisons with...

Yahoo Message Number: 78
With my 40 foot 99 Intrigue CC sent us a recall to boost tire pressure up to 125psi because of the weight of the slide and the fact that a couple of American Eagles have had tire failures and rolled over! Recommend that you call CC and ask about yours. John

Re: Tire Wear and Oil Consumption Comparisons with...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 79
"With my 40 foot 99 Intrigue CC sent us a recall to boost tire pressure up to 125psi because of the weight of the slide and the fact that a couple of American Eagles have had tire failures and rolled over! Recommend that you call CC and ask about yours. John " ------------

I think the intent was to pressurize the tires to 125psi until the owner has time to have it weighed and then use the tire pressure table to find the correct pressure.

Sincerely

George W Becker

gwb36@...

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 81
George is correct. The 125 psi removes any liability from Country Coach and puts it on Toyo. After doing so and after loading your coach, filling your fuel and water get it weighed. Then you can use your tire chart in your large brown file folder and adjust your tire pressure.

Damon

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 85
We have a 36' Intrigue with a little over 40,000 miles ('97). We don't have an oil consumption problem with the 325 Cummins. Just took to dealer for front end alignment, etc. Front tires were cupping on inside so the recommendation was to replace rather than rotate with one set of duals on the back. We had a vibration that I was trying to get rid of. We replaced the tires with new Goodyears, but still have the vibration plus a more violent one now coming from the rear. Checked inflation on back tires and they are at 72 pounds. New front ones are at 93 pounds where the dealer put them. I suspect the vibration my be from driveshaft due to under inflation on tires in rear. Don't know how they got that low, maybe cold Michigan winters, but didn't check before driving 200 miles to dealer, and I didn't have the rear vibration on trip there, just on the way back. Service department at dealer has no clue from phone conversation, so I am trying to gather some info before I take it back. Can anybody help? Note: also had the ride height valve recall work performed. Dealer said this wasn't problem. Will check clearances with recommended before taking back.

Joe and Karen from Michigan

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 86
Your tire pressure sounds low, up over 100 psi is probably called for . Plus tires seep air over time, you should check at least once a month. Recomment you call CC (Doug Rutherford and discuss all of your concerns in more detail.
Regards,

John in San Diego

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87
In 6a.c16e1f9.27e01fa0@...>, on 03/14/01 at 08:52 AM, jdurbin617@... said:
Be sure and check your ride height. From personal experience I can tell you that you can get a serious drive shaft vibration if the rear is too high.

>We have a 36' Intrigue with a little over 40,000 miles ('97). We don't >have an oil consumption problem with the 325 Cummins. Just took to >dealer for front end alignment, etc. Front tires were cupping on inside >so the recommendation was to replace rather than rotate with one set of >duals on the back. We had a vibration that I was trying to get rid of.
We replaced the tires with new Goodyears, but still have the vibration >plus a more violent one now coming from the rear. Checked inflation on >back tires and they are at 72 pounds. New front ones are at 93 pounds >where the dealer put them. I suspect the vibration my be from >driveshaft due to under inflation on tires in rear. Don't know how they >got that low, maybe cold Michigan winters, but didn't check before >driving 200 miles to dealer, and I didn't have the rear vibration on >trip there, just on the way back. Service department at dealer has no >clue from phone conversation, so I am trying to gather some info before >I take it back. Can anybody help? Note: also had the ride height valve >recall work performed. Dealer said this wasn't problem. Will check >clearances with recommended before taking back.

Joe and Karen from Michigan

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 88
"Be sure and check your ride height. From personal experience I can tell you that you can get a serious drive shaft vibration if the rear is too high. "
-----------

I second that. My ride height was too low, though. It sounded and acted just like a worn ring gear and pinion. To minimize the vibration I had to constantly accel slightly then coast slightly. Any steady load on the shaft caused it to vibrate. I called Country Coach service from Florida and they said it would not cause damage to drive on it until you could find a shop. So, I drove all the way back to Ohio with no resultant damage. Probably not one of my smartest decisions, though.

Sincerely

George W Becker

gwb36@...