Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator fan question in 06 inspire 360 400 Cat is the fan electric or??  (Read 827 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator fan question in 06 inspire 360 400 Cat is the fan electric or??

My fan stays on all the time need to find a fix for it?
😎🛵

Re: Radiator fan question in 06 inspire 360 400 Cat is the fan electric or??

Reply #1
Paul, the fan is hydraulic. The same pump that drives your power steering runs the cooling fan. The fan speed is controlled by a Sauer Danfoss Fan Drive Control Assembly which is an assembly of an electronic controller and and a hydraulic flow controll device. The electronic portion is the Fan Drive Controller and is easily replaced for around $500. It is a job most anyone can do.

Many are investing in a replacement control strategy because of too frequent failure of the FDC. The replacement is called a wax valve controller and others here can dicuss that as they have made the switch. I have not.
George in Birmingham
2003 Magna 6298

Reply #2
The difference in control between the wax valve and the Sauer Danfoss is that the wax valve only has a sensor in the engine coolant.  The Sauer Danfoss uses three inputs:  a switch on the over the road A/C compressor, a coolant sensor, and a sensor in the turbocharger duct.  I haven't really read of anyone having a problem with the wax valve though.

Note that George pointed out to change only the electronic module on the fan controller, not the whole assembly.  Four screws hold the electronic module.  If you go with the SD fan control, crawl under and take a picture of the label on the fan controller so you are sure you have the correct model number.
Pete
 2000 40'  Magna #5892  CAT C-10

Reply #3
Some time the FCU/FDC just needs a good cleaning of the wire harness plugs, to wake it back up. One a year I would unplug my harness, spray with electric cleaner, plug it in/out a few times to the FCU/FDC, then use a can of air to dry both the harness male plug, and FCU/FDC's female receptacle, Q-Tip with a dab of Dielectric Grease onto the male plug prongs, final reconnect... We had some off and on behavior in about year 3 of ownership, and I did this the first time, and the unit never misbehaved again.

That being said, I did replace it with the Source Engineering Thermal Valve, and feel it did a fine job of protecting the engine from overheating. (04 Allure CAPS era ISL, without as many demands as higher end Magna/Affinity coaches with multiple OTR AC's Front and Rear - so not too complex.) I feel that the Wax Valve allowed more HP to go to the Drive Wheels, by the fan usually running at lower speeds then they had with the FCU/FDC (FCU? I always call this thing the Fan Control Unit:)!). And I admit, one of the reasons I did go with the Wax Valve, is I did know owner's of CC's, and other brands, who were on their 2nd and even 3rd replacement of the FCU/FDC.

No right or wrong, at least on these simpler demanding system like my Allure was, just choices:)!

Best to you and all,
Smitty
Formerly 04 Allure 31017. Now 07 Magna 6775.
04 Allure Sold to a nice new owner! Now enjoying a 07 Magna Rembrandt 45' ISX600 #6775
"We're ONDROAD for THEJRNY!" (Toad and Coach license plates, say Hi if you see us!)

Reply #4
I found a bad wire quick repair all good now.
😎🛵