Skip to main content
Topic: new member self-intro (Read 12864 times) previous topic - next topic

new member self-intro

Yahoo Message Number: 304
Hi all. I am Russell H Mahoney, owner of a 2000 CC Magna that is 1.5 years old. I am currently homeless on the beach in Yachats OR watching the waves pound the shore while waiting for bathroom tile repairs to set. They may finish my service call by weeks end, when I will start a summer of travel up the coast to the north end of Vancouver island. Then I'm off to the Life on Wheels conf in Moscow ID, CCI rally in OR and the FMCA OR rally.
Pearl of the day: If your engine creates a dust storm when idling down a dirt road, despite turning of the dash A/C, you need a simple modification of the fan hub to reduce its idling speed.

Russ, who is now retired and can be diving... RVing... birdwatching... stargazing... reading... computing... napping...

Russ, who would rather be diving...

Re: new member self-intro

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 309
Hey, Russ...welcome from another C'serve member...glad you've joined in. I think we'll all be able to make this a worthwhile forum! Can't wait to get to OR, but it'll have to be next year...we're in NC waiting for the house to sell...then off to NY, MI, etc. Jan in Charlotte, NC

Re: new member self-intro

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 432
"Pearl of the day: If your engine creates a dust storm when idling down a dirt road, despite turning of the dash A/C, you need a simple modification of the fan hub to reduce its idling speed." --------------

You are right. I did the modification myself. It involves removing two in-line orifices from one of the hydraulic lines to the fan and replacing with CC-supplied fittings. A side benefit is an increase in mpg.

Sincerely

George W Becker

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 320
New member to group...1998 Intrigue Montage...looking forward to group postings and sharing info.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 804
Hi: We are Don and Kay. We bought 2001 CCI #11238 in Oct.,2000.
We have had some battery problems as oft-times listed. Just last week I replaced the Exide(GNB) batteries with Interstate 8D deep cycles. We will see this week how they work. Like many of the previously mentioned problems, our batteries would not fully charge (via hydrometer) and would discharge very rapidly. One of the links mentioned resetting the Invertrix to different defaults. What are they?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 805
Hi: We are Don and Kay. We bought 2001 CCI #11238 in Oct.,2000.
We have had some battery problems as oft-times listed. Just last week I replaced the Exide(GNB) batteries with Interstate 8D deep cycles. We will see this week how they work. Like many of the previously mentioned problems, our batteries would not fully charge (via hydrometer) and would discharge very rapidly. One of the links mentioned resetting the Invertrix to different defaults. What are they?

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 948
Hi All,

My wife and I are new members to this group, as well as new Country Caoch owners. We are the 3rd owners of a beautiful 91 Country Coach. Low miles and it was taken wonderful care of by the previous 2 owners. We both have always loved the Country Coach product line and finally were able to locate a quality older unit.
Once we are able to retire, we plan on getting a new unit, God willing!!

Elizabeth and Paul

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 952
My wife and I are new CC owners and looking forward to being involved in this group. We will be full-timing begining April '02...sure looking forward to it.
We're retired now, 47/48 no kids and wanting to see this great country!
Allen and Virginia

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 1125
Since finding this site thru the latest copy of DESTINATIONS a few weeks ago, I too have just completed reviewing the 1100+ postings and express my thanks and congratulations to the site originator and former moderator and current moderator for an excellent service to all CC owners. Own a 36ft '95 Magna Tribute which I have lived in for most of the last four years. Has been a superb coach for me. How about a gathering of web site participants/readers at the FT.Benning rally? Just a thought. Joe Cronin

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 1265
Thanks to Al for welcoming me to theis group which I just learned is in existence. I have owned two Intrigues, a1997 and my current 2000. Frankly, I wish I still had the '97, as I have had all kinds of problems with the 2000. The latest is the Hurricane furnace which flames out quite often. I live in Texarkana, Ar. where we don't usually winterize, rathe make sure to turn on the heat if a hard freeze is predicted. We recently had two nights in succession in the teens, and I ended up running an electric heater since I couldn't trust the furnace and it was too cold for the heat pumps. I still had water lines freeze somewhere, but , fortunately, I don't seem to have sprung any leaks.
I'm going to the Ft. Benning and Perry rallies and hope I can get this problem solved. Am I by myself, or can anyone give me a tip? I changed fuel and air filters and have tried the bleed valve closed and in various stages of open. I can't get at the nozzle because some engineering genius placed the furnace too close to a bulkhead. I did notice that this is changed in the 2002's.
I think this chat group is a great idea and look forward to sharing problems and solutions.

Walt in Texarkana

Re: New Member

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 1271
Walt,

Had the same problem. Called the Hurricane distributor. He instructed me over the phone and had me remove a part in the nozzle or just before the nozzle. It's about the size of a bullet and he said it was installed for marine applications and was not needed on a motorhome. I could get to it easily because the nozzle was not near the bulkhead. There is a phone number painted on the control panel. Call that number and ask for a tech. The person I talked to was Jim I believe. The part we removed restricted the fuel supplied to the burner. Once I got the bleeder adjusted (left open about a half turn), no problems.

Bob 2001 Intrigue 11237

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 1273
Thanks for the help. I may try using a mirror to get at the part you refer to, but it has warmed up considerably so I'll probably wait till I get to Ft.
Benning and have a tech do it fot me. I have pronted out your message and will give it to the tech for reference. Thanks again.

Walt Rothermel

2000 Intrigue 10941

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 3250
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member who is posting for the first time. I've been reading the messages on this website for the last 6 months but up until this moment have not joined the conversations. This has to be one of the nicest users I've encountered; I have never seen any of you flame each other; very refreshing.

A little background on myself:

I do not currently owned a Country Coach (or any RV for that matter). I hope that is not a problem with you all.

I just sold my house; escrow to close at the end of Dec.
I'm in the market to buy a motor home and I'm seriously considering a Country Coach; my top choice

I'm 45, divorced, no kids, middle-age crazy, quitting my job (early next year), never RV'd before, and deciding to go "fulltiming"
Having said all that, I've done a ton of research (since Feb of this year) and narrowed my choices of RV's down to Bluebird (used), Foretravel (used), Newell (used), and Country Coach (new or used).
I've also joined RV Consumer Group, visited lots of dealers, attend RV shows, joined Open Roads Forum (I recognize Per from that group), read a few RV books, join Escapees, and test drove about a dozen RV's.

The reason for this e-mail is that I think I've come to the conclusion I would like to buy a new 2003 CC Allure, 36' Sunriver with 370hp engine. It is a little more than what I wanted to spend on a motor home; approx. $190k.

I'm nervous and excited about the magnitude of what I'm comtemplating.
What do you all think? In particular of my choice in motor homes and whether that is a decent price for a new CC Allure. Would I be doing better by buying a used Magna or Affinity for that price?
Thanks in advanced for your responses and I look forward to chatting with you all (if it is okay until I purchase my CC).

Rick

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 3256
Welcome, Rick. Not knowing the list price of the 03 Allure you're looking at it's hard to determine a fair purchase price, but I'm inclined to think $190k is a very good price based on what I paid for a 2003 Allure 40'. I compliment you on your approach to making your first RV purchase.

Walt Rothermel
2003Allure30811

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 3258
Hi Rick,

The Country Coach you are considering is a fine vehicle but please. please, please be very cautious before you commit to this major life style change.
A motor home is not an appreciating asset. It goes down in value every month and the lost money will never come back.
As you have never owned and RV before there is quite a possibility that you will not like your new life style. If that happens you will be stuck trying to sell a very expensive unit for a big discount.
I strongly recommend you rent a smaller gas unit (24 - 32ft) and spend four months on the road and in different campgrounds/RV parks.
This will allow you to enjoy the life style, meet owners and get the feel of driving a coach by yourself. (Of course this wouldn't apply if you already have a CDL and have experience with eighteen wheelers).
If that goes well and you are fully hooked on the RV lifestyle consider purchasing a good used Allure or Intrigue and put the money you save in a safe place. (BTW I recommend you stay at 36ft length if you do not have a copilot.)
Then move to a new unit when funds permit and you know exactly what options you desire.
None of us get it right the first time. In fact the average RV'er will have seven units in a life time and you can bet their option list changed over that time as they became experienced.
I am sure there are sales people who would love to sell you a new Allure right now although I doubt you will get a 2003 even close to $190K.
Be careful buddy. Our coach came to us by way of someone who was in exactly the same position you are. He drove it hardly seven thousand miles and it spent much of the first year in storage. He then decided it was not his lifestyle and we got the one year old used coach at a big discount.

David and Karen,
2000 Intrigue 11062

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 3265
Rick,

What is the list price of the Allure, that you say is $190k. Many people over spend on their first motor coach because the salesman never tells them his lowest price. I always figure at least 20% off of the MSRP with 22 % being average and 24% being very good. Over 24% is usually a show unit or a unit that has been around for a while. We have always ordered our units at a major show and got about 22% off. We never purchase a show unit bscause I don't like unit that have been played with by 1000s of people.
I also don't believe you will be able to purchase a Magna or Affinity for 190k unless it's around 5 years old with not many options. We have a 2001 Magna that we have refinanced for the 5th time in 2 years (this time at 5.95) and the banks keep telling

us the loan value is well above $275k. Good luck on your search for a motor coach that suits your needs. I think your making the right choise with a CC.

Bill G. 2001 Magna #5998

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 3266
Rick...welcome to the group! You're doing things the right way...by doing all this research, no matter what you buy, you will be buying what is right for YOU. There is no perfect coach...just ones that are more appropriate for one person over another.

We took the plunge almost 2 years ago, having NEVER RV'd...sold the home and everything in it, retired, and bought a 2001 new Intrigue.
Yes, like most of us, we spent more than we had first figured out, but with the help of forum members, we outfitted our rig with things that without their input we would never have...like the NuHeat tile floors! We've never regretted anything about our change to this lifestyle, or our choice of rig. (We were a bit prejudiced towards CC because my parents had one for 8 years and loved it.) We think CC makes one of the best coaches out there. For us the floorplan and storage were key, and we feel that we have more storage in our Intrigue than any other model out there. Yes, we've had minor problems here and there, but CC and their web of dealers has been excellent in getting things resolved quickly and easily. I can highly recommend them.

Best of luck with your new lifestyle...as someone told us when we were getting ready to do this: "Come on in, the water's fine!"

Jan McNeill

2001 Intrigue 11320
www.mcneillsonwheels.com

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 3269
Hi Walt,

Thanks for the greeting. I'm not if nuts what I'm comtemplating or being smart. Time will tell.
The list price for the 03 Allure, 36' Sunriver is $275k. Only a few options come with this coach; they are:

370hp engine

Bose sound system

Color back-up monitor system
Padded vinyl ceiling
Tile entry

It's suppose to be the last of the 03 models set-up like this. Everything from now on is suppose to be the First Avenue Allure.

Rick

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 3270
Hi David & Karen,

Thanks for the response. Your advice is much appreciated about the lifestyle change and the coach. The reason I'm going for it in one shot is that I will probably not have the opportunity to buy such a nice coach again as I do not plan on returning to the "corporate" lifestyle. I need to get away from the high pressure job of being a Program Manager and live more. All it feels like I'm doing is grinding it out until I hit retirement. I work 50-60 hours a week, do not get enough exercise, fight the Los Angeles traffic, have no love life, etc. Sounds like a recipe for a heart attack. And I will be damn pissed if I work until retirement and then collapse dead from a heart attack.
So, I'm going for it now and, hopefully, living a healthier lifestyle; even if means living with less; won't be the worst mistake if it doesn't work out.

I'd love to get la deal ike you all got but I don't know where to find these deals. How did you come across your great deal?

Rick

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 3271
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response. The list price is $275. I don't believe this particular unit has been at the shows. Very clean on the inside with approx. 1100 miles on the coach. Everything worked flawlessly on the test ride (everything I tested, which wasn't much). Very, very impressed with the way the CC drives and handles considering I have very little experience driving motor homes. What a difference between a used Bluebird I test drove and this one.

Rick

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 3272
Hi Jan,

Thanks for that vote of confidence. I could use the reinforcement. Glad to hear others have done what I'm comtemplating. Some of my friends at work think I'm crazy; that I'm throwing it all the way. For some reason, I just can't do that line of work anymore and can't see myself putting another 15 years and grinding it out. Life is to short to do something you don't like.
As the for the coach, I am kind of cutting out a few steps but hopefully saving myself some money with going with exactly what I want. It appears to be too expensive to find out your RV doesn't satisfy you needs or wants. My biggest concern with motor homes is the reliablility of them. I just hope I don't have to much problems with mine.

Rick

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 3274
Rick,

I don't know of anyone with a motor home who hasn't had problems, the new coaches usually come with numerous built-in problems. Doesn't matter whether you buy the cheapest class C or the most expensive Class A. I have never met anyone who owns a motor home who hasn't spent the first few months of ownership trying to wring out the problems which QC missed at the factory....maybe they don't have QC at the factory. I think that most coach builders think it is cheaper to leave the QC process to the new owner of the mh than to do it at their factory. So, expect to spend many hours over the 1st year at service centers, so it is important to buy from a dealer who has great service facilities where you can relax while waiting for your unit to be perfected.....But, even that part of the experience is fun, you meet a lot of nice people at the service centers, you learn a lot about your mh that way also. For those without a job this is not really a problem but I really don't know how those who are still working get through this phase of owning a mh....

Ray

2000 Intrigue

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 3276
Hi, Rick.

Here's another point of view:

Go For It!

I retired at 5 years ago at 55..... (why did I wait so long?) My only experience with RV's was renting a class C 20 years ago. I did the type of research that you are doing...... maybe not as in-depth.
We (my wife and I) bought a 1998 CC Intrigue... the best that we felt fit our tastes, desires and budget..... with some "advice" from a relative who has owned a Bluebird for 15 years... . After owning that coach for 4 years and 50,000 miles we traded for a new Intrigue. From what we have heard around there are few better than CC and none without problems. Remember this.... a motorhome is a house with it's headaches and a truck with it's headaches. And the house has to survive minor "earthquakes" on every trip.
That being said, after our 5th year of trips of between 5 and 6 months I say there's fun to be had out there...... don't miss it. And, as one of the wiser owners who wrote to you said.... rent for a few months (or weeks) to see if the life style is for you.

Dick May

2002 Intrigue, #11438
Dick May
2002 Intrigue, #11438, towing a
2014 Jeep Gr Cherokee ecoDiesel

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 3277
Rick and Ray.....

Add reputation to the 'dealer with great service facilities'.
A tool in the hands of untrained or uncaring mechanic does not a repair make!

Dick May

2002 Intrigue, #11438
Dick May
2002 Intrigue, #11438, towing a
2014 Jeep Gr Cherokee ecoDiesel

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 3282
Rick, if you can buy an 03 Allure with a list price of $275k for $195k you should run, not walk, to the dealership and buy it. Something just doesn't sound right about this as a $275k price for a 36 ft is pretty well loaded. My 40 ft with tag listed for $305 and it was a show coach pretty well loaded. I don't know who your dealer is but there is one out west that is known for dirty tactics,i. e. when you sit down to close the deal they renege on the proce quoted to you by the salesman. Be wary!
Also, while I may be prejudiced, I think the unit you are looking at is far better looking than the First Avenue.

Walt Rothermel
2003Allure30811