Skip to main content
Topic: Food For Thought (Read 1230 times) previous topic - next topic

Food For Thought

Yahoo Message Number: 412
To All:

We have a 2000 40' Intrigue. We have been unhappy about two problems that maybe you have had too. Once concerns static on the TV and the other has to do with air conditioning in 30 Amp campgrounds.
Static on the TV: By hit or miss, we found that the ceiling light just behind the front air conditioner puts noise on the electrical circuit in the motorhome. In the past, we normally had this light on all evening while watching TV. We found that when using the installed TV antenna we got static on our TVs. We observed that if we switched that light off, the static on the TV went away. We also found that the compressor on the air conditioner would keep kicking off somewhere between 2 and 60 seconds with this light on. The dealer said they couldn't do anything to fix that. By turning the light behind the front air conditioner off (and electric hot water heater ) lets us have air conditioning and heat pump service when we want it.

Another problem we had had to do with running what we wanted to run on 30 amps. In discussions with the dealer maintenance supervisor, he told me that the air conditioning pulls about 13 amps, the electric hot water heater about 9 amps and the refrigerator about 5-7 amps ... totaling about 28 amps just for those three appliances. I know that other things in the coach are sucking up amps too. As I recall he said that 30-amp service is designed to pull a maximum of 22.5 amps constant load. We were well above that. Now that we understand the constraints, when we use the air conditioner or heat pump (on 30 amp service), we shut the electric hot water heat off at the circuit breaker (above the bed) and use propane to heat our water as needed.
Following the above, we have not had a problem getting our coach cool when we want it cooled.

If you have had any problems with the air conditioners on 30-amp service, this might be of value to you.

Happy Motorhoming!