Skip to main content
Topic: Ordering new Magna ... (Read 1227 times) previous topic - next topic

Ordering new Magna ...

Yahoo Message Number: 12271
I posted here about two years ago when we were considering a Dutch Star vs an Intrigue. We went with the Dutch Star with the three slides vs the DS's three. A lot has happened in two years. Bigger TV's in the CC's, and four slides.

Now we are considering a new Magna (ordering from Lazy Days if the price is close to what we want). Nothing against Newmar, but I want a CC ...

A couple of questions (more to follow ...).
First ... my first air leveling system. Anything here I should think about or worry about ??? How much 'out of level' will this system tolerate ???. Not planning on doing much boondocking in corn fields, but some CG's can get pretty weird.

I really hate propane, and would like the all electric package. Is there something I am missing here ??

How about the general build quality. Maybe a dumb question, since this is why I want a CC, but what is the general trend with CC ???

What about factory pickup. Is this worth the hassle of going out there. We have a Florida house 30 miles from Lazy Days.

Thanks for any insight you can furnish and any words of wisdom.

John and Terry Keene
Durand, IL
Polk City, Fl

Re: Ordering new Magna ...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12273
Quote from: aasonm
I posted here about two years ago when we were considering a Dutch > Star vs an Intrigue. We went with the Dutch Star with the three > slides vs the DS's three. A lot has happened in two years. Bigger > TV's in the CC's, and four slides.

Now we are considering a new Magna (ordering from Lazy Days if the > price is close to what we want). Nothing against Newmar, but I

want

a CC ...

A couple of questions (more to follow ...).

First ... my first air leveling system. Anything here I should

think

about or worry about ??? How much 'out of level' will this system > tolerate ???. Not planning on doing much boondocking in corn

fields,

but some CG's can get pretty weird.
> I really hate propane, and would like the all electric package. Is > there something I am missing here ?? >

How about the general build quality. Maybe a dumb question, since > this is why I want a CC, but what is the general trend with CC ??? >

What about factory pickup. Is this worth the hassle of going out > there. We have a Florida house 30 miles from Lazy Days.

Thanks for any insight you can furnish and any words of wisdom.

John and Terry Keene
Durand, IL
Polk City, Fl
Hmmm ... that first paragraph didn't make much sense. The Intrigue we looked at had TWO slides, and the DS had three. My wife flipped at all the room in the DS. Now the Magna has four ... she flipped again. Don't know how to edit a post yet ... so I posted this response (talking to myself again).

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12278
Re: air leveling, it's wonderful! It was one of the things that tipped us towards a CC in the first place.

Re: all electric vs propane...it's a personal choice in the end. I wouldn't have an all electric rig. I like cooking with gas better than electric and always have, so that's a tip towards propane too, but in addition there have been times when we've not been able to use electric and didn't want to or couldn't run the generator, and having the propane allowed us to still have the frig and water heater run. Lots of folks like all electric, though, so that's personal.

Re: quality...we've had an Intrigue since 2001 and love it. We're fulltimers, so appreciate the storage we have with only 2 slides vs. more. CC has always backed our requests for service of things. I think the new trend for CC is going to be better quality control.
(They recently stated that the employees would participate in company profits...good motivation.)

I wouldn't hesitate to take Lazy Days delivery. There was a discussion earlier on this or another forum about taking factory or dealer delivery and I can say that when we picked up our coach from Bill Plemmons in NC we had ZERO defects or issues...Ok, there was ONE missing screw we found in a cupboard. I think folks were right that the dealers are more used to repairing "stuff" on rigs, rather than building them. I vote for the dealer prep now.

Good luck with your new Magna...they're lovely rigs! Also, the CC "family" is a really nice one...attend the rallies and you'll get great info and meet lots of wonderful people.

Jan McNeill, Fulltimer
2001 Intrigue 11320

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12282
We're likewise ordering a new Magna, after a great deal of deliberation we decided to go "all electric".

My wife much prefers cooking on electric (she has all our 38+ years together) and propane seems to burn hotter than natural gas. She has trouble simmering with soups & sauces, etc., and overall just decided, since we will be somewhere between full-timers and most-of-the-timers, she wanted to have what she was most comfortable in the long run.
Yes, there will be times when we'll need to use the genset more than normal, but the new Magnas now have regular house size refrigerators and other items that will still require significant AC power, and for our needs, we felt this was our best way to go.

Best of luck. Continue to share ideas and ask questions.

Tom

05 Magna on order - 45' quad

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12289
Thanks to all for the help. Seems like a friendly place here ...
We are not full timers yet so the extra CCC of the new coach will be largely wasted, but we want a CC. Should have bought one the first time .. oh well ...

I will surely ask more questions as we get further into this and maybe be in a postition to help out someday.

John

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12292

(snip) > What about factory pickup. Is this worth the hassle of going out there. We have a Florida house 30 miles from Lazy Days.
We bought our '98 Intrigue last year, privately. The original owner bought it at Lazydays, but said that he picked it up at the factory to ensure that it wasn't driven on underinflated tires; driven too fast 'fore being broken in; etc, etc. We're glad he did ... and recommend that you do so, too.

Dick (& Geri) Campagna
'98 36' Intrigue #10571
Mfd: 11/97

(in Foxboro, MA)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 12295
John and Terry,

We live in Polk County also and we just took delivery of an 05, 40 foot Magna with 3 slides and all electric. We love the all electric and do not miss the propane. We purchased from Lazy Days and picked up at the factory at the Class Reunion. My advice is pick up at Lazy Days unless you have a reason to go to JC. It is cheaper and less of a hassel. Lazy Days does a better job of cleaning and preparing the coach. As far as quality is concerned we have had our share of small problems but mostly with vendor items. The coach is build well and I will continue to buy CCs. Besides if you have some items that need work at delivery you can hang out at the Crown Club, much better then the factory sales office and the food is good.

Bill G. 2005 Magna #6425

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 12296
Coaches never leave the factory with less then the maximum air in the tires and the drivers are very professional. They are not even allowed to sleep in the coach. They keep a log of all problems and you get to see it when you pick up the coach. The drivers also know better then most CC drivers that the 315 tires only have a 65 MPH rating. Most CC drivers don't know that. Thats why lots of us drive to fast.

Bill G. 2005 Magna #6425.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 12306
Bill,

The 65 MPH rating is only for Toyo tires. The 315 Michelins are rated for 75.

Barry

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 12362
Barry,

We had the 315 Michelans on our 2001 Magna front and my tire book said the Michelans were rated at 65 MPH unless you added 10 pounds of air over and above what your coach needed. As far as I know that has not changed and at the tire seminar in New Orleans it was stated that there is no 315 rated over 65mph and they are not going to increase the rating because the tire companies do not want to take the libility. There is a new 365 but it is still rated at 65.

Bill G. 2005 Magna #6425

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 12373
Bill,

Try the Michelin web site. XZA1 steer tire in 315 size is rated for 75 mph.

Barry

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 12432
Barry,

That must be a change from my tire book which says 65mph, plus the Toyos on my new Mag state that the speed rating is 65 mph. Really does not matter because I rarely drive 75mph. I just like telling the guys who like to go 80mph what their tires are rated at. Most people never look.and they are susprised.

Bill G. 2005 Magna #6425