Skip to main content
Topic: Very heavy mirror (Read 1214 times) previous topic - next topic

Very heavy mirror

Yahoo Message Number: 512
On the way to the Nascar (Bush) race Saturday when i turned a corner i heard a bang and a crash, I asked my son to see if a door was open, only to have him report the large left mirror on my vanity had torn off the wall and crashed to the floor by way of the corian counter top. This is a very heavy mirror (maybe 20 lbs or more) (2001 Signature Centurian) it is maybe 18" by 20" 1/4' thick mounted on a heavy cherry wood frame. It seems my wife did not close the door until it latched when removing some items from the medicine cabinet.
This door due to its weight and momentum tore the hinges and part of the wood framing off. The screws really did not go in more than a half inch and that is about where the wood split. Any heavy door that swings far enough to put a side load on the hinges can easily do this. I think a safety cable is in order, i wonder if others have had this problem and if they have added something like a cable? The cable could limit the swing to 90 degrees and stop the side load on the hinges. I thought of adding a gas spring, but now thing a small safety cable might work best. I would like to hear your comments.
Thanks in advance.

John D. 2001 Signature 40ft centurian lockport, Il PS: 32 hours of Nascar in 4 days we got our fix.