Skip to main content
Topic: HWH Slide problems? Foretravel vs CC? (Read 2338 times) previous topic - next topic

HWH Slide problems? Foretravel vs CC?

Yahoo Message Number: 581
We like Country Coach and think they make one of the best driving coaches around. We are thinking about purchasing a new Intrigue.
When we visited a dealer last weekend, I asked him what kinds of problems they see on the new CC units. He said the most commom problem they saw was that the top and bottom extensions on the HWH slide system were often out of sync. He unintentionally proved his point when he tried to retract the slide on the 40ft 2002 Intrigue we wanted to test drive. He had to rock the slide back and forth a dozen or so times to get it in. He then apologized and said that once the slides were "re-adjusted" by the dealer, they generally worked fine [the cynic in me wondered why they had not re-adjusted their own demo unit].

Have any of you experienced this problem? Is it as easily fixed as the salesman suggested?

The other coach we're considering is Foretravel. We don't have any experience with Foretravel, but they look like a solid coach. I noticed that they have also gone to the HWH slide system on their 2002 coaches. Any thoughts on Foretravel vs CC?

Dan Williams

Re: HWH Slide problems? Foretravel vs CC?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 582
We have a 2000 Intrigue and have not heard of any HWH slide problems nor have we had any problems with it in 38,000 miles. We had a Foretravel prior to the Intrigue and, all things considered, you get about what you pay for.
The Foretravel that would replace our Intrigue has a list price more than $150,000 higher but there are many subtle benefits in quality, design and second order features. Eight airbags instead of four, air hose for tires, much better leveling capability, automatic light switches in many closets, auto-start generator on low battery, CRT read-out of coach resources, larger fuel tank (almost 50% larger), disc brakes instead of drum, antenna up alarm, brake moisture alarm, functional map lights and so on.
Both coaches exhibited depressingly poor quality control and each took a year/20,000 miles to get pretty much everything working that failed or fell off following delivery. Oh that the Japanese would get into this market!

Peter

Britanniainc.com

Phone: 1-800-274-5245
Fax: 1-219-483-3653

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 586
Dan, you get what you pay for, there are very few real "deals" especially in the RV biz.

Both companies build very good products. Not sure what your priorities are.........but that is very important in your decision versus one that I would make.

The engineering on CC is overall very good and they have treated us in a most excellent manner with after the sale service and support. On this site you've seen that unfortunately, some folks have had more than their fair share of problems with their new coach. But that is the nature of any new "house on wheels", you will have some problems with the 10,000s+++ parts that go into any coach. The quality of the after the sale support is most important to us, so I'd recommend that you check with Foretravel owners and get lots of input from them also.

One thing to consider is the resale value of the coach. There will come a day when you'll want to sell it and I believe that CC does have the edge there. Also, I'd check to see how many coaches each one is building.........the more coaches usually means a more stable corporate structure and greater odds of the ability to support you oin the future. Not sure what the weights are between the coaches, but I do remember that Foretravel seemed to build a very heavy coach, and their useful loads were less than CC. Not sure about the current line of coaches.
We have owned 2 CCs an Intrigue and now an Affinity. We have experienced no problems with the slideouts on either coach.
Lastly, if you can afford the time and $, take a factory tour of both companies. That way you will talk with real product experts and actually see how they put together their coaches. best of luck Den

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 587
We have a 2000 Affinity and the slide is perfect, haven't heard of many slide problems at all...do not fear, sounds like the dealer has a dud or wants to sell you something else...J. Packard