Skip to main content
Topic: Silverleaf (Read 9673 times) previous topic - next topic

Silverleaf

Yahoo Message Number: 45065
We have the SIlverleaf system in our 2007 Allure.
Presently we are unable to use the Silverleaf dash mounted control to auto start the generator. The generator can be remotely started by using the Onan remote rocker switch located above the passenger seat, but not by the Silverleaf.
This happened once before and I called CC who, as I recall, advised a reset format that I don't now remember.
If others have experienced such a problem I will appreciate all responses. Is there a connection that may have become loose that is a common issue?
We are also not seeing any temperature indicated for the transmission on the Silverleaf but then the dash gauge doesn't appear to be reflective of a temperature rise either. I assume this may not be a Silverleaf issue but a disconnected sender wire or defective sender?? Gerry Brown

2007 Allure 31447

Re: Silverleaf

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 45067
Gerry Brown:

We had the same prolem with our coach and Silverleaf was re-programmed to allow for a longer preheat time. Ours originally was set for only 10 seconds, not nearly enough time, especially in cool weather. Does yours start from the Silverleaf after you have run it and allowed it to warm up?

Coriwelsh

Formerly Allure 31611

Waiting for Intrigue 550 that may never be built

Re: Silverleaf...same problem...

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 45073
We have the same problem on our allure, a 2008 #31619. We saw the silver leaf guys at Indio at FCMA rally, they ran a test on the brain in the bathroom wall. Said the info is not being transmitted from the transmission. It appears the auto start is working on ours, it just doesn't cycle long enough to get the glow plugs hot enough to start the generator.

WE plan on going to the good sam rally in new mexico in april. Hope to get more time plan in advance with the silver leaf guys. Or if CC comes back to life, we are still under warrenty. If you make any progress plan email me personal or post. I will do the same for you.

Mike & Anne Spinetti

las vegas nevada currenty

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 45079
I had the same problem with my Silverleaf on my 2007 Allure. Only when it was cold outside. As I recall, I had to send the Silverleaf GENERATOR control module back to Silverleaf to be reprogrammed. I don't believe I was able to do it from the dash. It was programmed for the wrong generator, and did not have enough pre-start time.
Each time you tried, it always started from scratch. Worked with the switch over the door, or when the weather was warm.

On the 40' Hood River, it was necessary to remove the raised wood panel to access the area behind the thermostat and electrical controls, above the circuit breaker panel.

Herb

2007 Allure #31466

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 45098
Thanks for the replies.

No, there is no start attempt indicated on the dash unit, either with generator cold or hot.
I frankly thought the Silverleaf generator components were a little too much and overkill initially but like electric windows in my cars 40 years ago, it has become a neat and useful feature.
Several have offered reset suggestions which I will try when I can get back to the unit in a week or so.

G Brown

07 Allure 31447

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 45388
Make sure your generator slide is completely closed. CC programs the system so that the auto & remote start won't work when the generator slide is open. Probably a safety measure. That would also indicate that there should be a switch that is closed when the slide is closed.
This could be the problem if the slide is closed.

Wood Sproat

2009 Magna #7000

Silverleaf

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 53707
Good Afternoon all,

In the past few days I have been reading about Silverleaf on this group. So I went to the Silverleaf web site to do some homework about their system and was impressed with the system (VMS 240 CL) and bought one for me and my 2004 inspire. I believe I did the right thing with this purchase but I would like others opinions about the product. Feel free to criticize,I have tough skin!

Walt_/)

2004 inspire

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 53710
Walt, you have chosen wisely.

I was fortunate to have that model come as a factory install in my coach. I find it incredibly useful. Be sure to go back the the Silverleaf website and down load their "Silverleaf Seminar."

--

Lee Zaborowski
07 Intrigue 12153

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 53711
Thank you Lee, I read the "Silverleaf Seminar" and found it to be very interesting and informative. I am looking forward to the UPS man/women delivering my new Silverleaf.

Walt_/)

2004 Inspire soon to be with a Silverleaf

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 53712
Walt,

That is what I have in my '04 Allure. I love mine and wouldn't be without it. I expect you will soon feel the same way about yours.

Good luck

George in Birmingham
'04 Allure 31038
George in Birmingham
2003 Magna 6298

Silverleaf

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 53714
I too have a 04 inspire and the idiot lights made me feel very uncomfortable as well as the gauges. I did not opt for the 240 cl but instead use the vmspc software on my pc with the interface. I would not be without and do not even look at the dash. Gauge readings on the dash are 10 to 15 degrees off of the silverleaf as well as the overheat idiot light. It goes on even though I am running cool. I think you did the right thing in getting a silverleaf system. Have fun with it.

Regards,
Steve

04 Inspire 51075

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 53717
All

I was fortunate to have the Silverleaf come with my rig and it is an excellent instrument , I don't bother to look at the dash gauges the silverleaf is much more accurate.
Jim

07 Allure 470

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 53732
Mine did also and I agree that it is a great instrument. Now if CC had not placed it smack under my steering wheel where I can't see it then all would be good.

Don Seager

2004 Allure 31046

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 53738

Don: Could you please give me the Silver Leaf website address. Thank You! Barrie Boas 94 Concept 5111

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 53741

Thank you George! Are you going to rallies in south Florida in Feb. Barrie Boas 94 Concept 5111

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 53744
Can't make them, bad timing. We'll be in the keys for six weeks beginning mid-February. By the way, if you're going to buy a Silverleaf, go to RVupgrades.com. Their prices are lower. I'm thinking about the PC version and Silverleaf wants $395. Upgrades is $340.

George

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 53751
Just in case anybody is interested, I have a Silverleaf harness I removed from my 2002 HR Endeavor last week as I get ready to sell it. It has a serial DB-9 connector, not a USB, so you may need a serial to USB converter if you do not have a 9 pin serial port on your laptop. This harness is for pre 2007 rigs.
Silverleaf gets them back on upgrades and resells them for $229. I would take $150 for it. Software of course is free online.

Stuart

2005 Allure

Silverleaf

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 54431
I'm thinking of getting the Silverleaf VMSpc. However, I am unable to find the diagnostic port to determine which type it is. I've tried to look from below but my aged (alright, fat) body doesn't get under there too easily. I've moved the dash cover back to try to find it from above but still no luck.

Open to any hints from this all knowing group.
Still trying to determine the best access to 110 AC to power the laptop without having an extension cord hanging.

As always, many thanks in advance.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 54432
Mine is behind the panel to the left of the driver's seat near the floor. It has 4 screws with plastic caps holding it in place. Remove this and the diagnostic port, air brake parking system, transmission harness, etc is all accessible.

Bob (rthandren@...)
'05 Inspire 51178

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 54433
Bob,
Thanks, I'll take a look. It seems silly to put a diagnostic port where you need to remove screws to get at it.

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 54437

It's really no biggie to get at it and how ofter is it needed? Assuming yours is the same as ours, the cabinetry is open at the top towards the front and behind the dash. Real simple to install the VMSpc and run the cabling to a computer. I velcro ours to the snack tray. It has never come loose or even close to loose.

Bob (rthandren@...)
'05 Inspire 51178

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 54438
Bob,
Exactly how I intend to mount mine. What do you use for power? If 110, where do you get it from?

George

'04 Inspire 51061

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 54448

I added a 115V outlet to the left of the 12V outlet already there. I ran it from the TV supply (behind the small storage cabinet to the left of the TV) down the left side windshield post, under the dash and over to a wall plate. I checked with an electrician versus any RV requirements such as conduit, etc. None stated but if that is wrong I am sure someone here will point it out. The wire is as or better protected than the other 115V lines running all over the coach so I doubt there is a problem. Of course watch where it is run for rub spots, etc.
I admit I got the idea to place it there because that is exactly where CC had one in our 2000 Intrigue. We just didn't spend enough to get one in an Inspire from the factory. ;-)

Bob (rthandren@...)
'05 Inspire 51178

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 54452
Bob,
Thanks again, i saw the panel with the four screws, it's about 12" square. That will be tomorrows project. As to power, I have a power strip in the upper right overhead cabinet in the front of the coach. If I can remove the inside right wall, I should have access to the windshield post. I'm thinking of just running an extension cord down and leaving about three or four inches out at the bottom of the post. I surely don't have enough talent to be messing with an outlet in the front of the dash. Luckily I know my limitations.
Appreciate your help. By the way, how do you like the Silverleaf? Do you find it helpful? They have the new model with the USB plug instead of the serial port. RVUpgrades is selling them for $340 which is $55 less than Silverleaf (go figure),

George

'04 Inspire 51061