Skip to main content
Topic: PA RV and Camping Show (Read 1193 times) previous topic - next topic

PA RV and Camping Show

Yahoo Message Number: 655
I had to cut my visit to the Pennsylvania RV and Camping Show short this year, very short, in fact. My wife is not well and needs to undergo a procedure at the hospital tomorrow. I did not want to leave her alone overnight and left the show in mid-afternoon to rush back home.

There were many more large motorhomes in the parking lot at the show this year than last year. Next year, they will have additional parking areas for the growing number of "overnighters".

I haven't seen much I hadn't seen before, but let me at least give you the two extremes:

Outstanding, positive:

American Coach showed the prototype of a new Eagle coach. The kitchen has a "U"-wrap-around design. This makes the kitchen smaller and leaves more room for the living area. I happen to like this design. I have an island kitchen at home and like it very much. (I'm the cook in the family during the week.) From the bus-style entrance, you walk back into the kitchen area, pass by the "U" and enter from the other side. The stove is on the curbside wall and two large sinks are in the other side of the "U".
However, there wasn't much space to move around inside the "U". This particular layout was for a cook who doesn't like his/her own food too much. Most people, including me, would want a bit more room so they can still function while a drawer, or a cabinet door is open. But, as the salesman I asked said, this is only a prototype and they're working to come up with a more refined design. It seems unlikely any design of this kind will make it possible for two people to work in the kitchen. Granted, that isn't easy in a straight laid out kitchen either but at least it's a possibility.

Outstanding, negative:

The "doorkeeper" at the Kingsley coach who made sure that only so many people are inside at the same time told onlookers it only takes a regular driver's license to drive that 47 feet long (yes, more than 45 feet), 44,000 lbs. heavy truck-RV with 10 wheels on three axles. That truck-RV (a "long-nosed Freightliner" with a customized body) is over the legal length limit and is equipped with air brakes.
Most of the people who were looking at this thing belonged to the crowd interested in travel trailers and were just curious to look into this unusual looking vehicle. Still, it just bugs me that someone misleads people like that.

By the way, the coach was built in 1999, has 60-some-thousand miles on the clock, and they ask a quarter of a million for it. So, we probably don't have to worry that it's going to be sold any time soon...

Before I left, I took a walk through the parking lot to see if I would find a window sticker with the name of one of the newsgroups here but I only found one, my own. I'm sorry I missed meeting some of you. Maybe things will work out better next year.

Regards,
Jeff

Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/