Skip to main content
Topic: LOSS OF 110V (Read 1769 times) previous topic - next topic

LOSS OF 110V

Yahoo Message Number: 16068
The coach has been sitting idle for a month plugged into a 110V service just to keep the battery charged.
Inside there is power to the M/W but no power to the 110 outlets in the bathroom. When it stops snowing I intend to open up the coach and test the other outlets on the drivers side.
The external breakers in the compartment above the batteries have not tripped.
With no load on the circuit I'm not sure why any breaker would have tripped. Have looked for a GFI outlet but so far haven't found one!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, David

David & Karen

2000 Intrigue 11062
40 ft Single slide. PT
2002 Odyssey TOAD

Re: LOSS OF 110V

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16070
Hi David -

Two possibilities:
1) the GFCI which is located next to the bed in a night table in my coach; or

2) a breaker on your inverter popped. A sure sign of this is that
none of the outlets work but the microwave (and maybe the fridge) does. If you check the front of your inverter it will be obvious if one needs to be reset.

Regards,
Dave

'98 Allure 36 #30187 (currently on auction at E-Bay)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16072
David;

I had a problem with the 110v outlets not working. The GFI which was located near the floor in the bedroom, below the 110v breaker box, (had tripped). This GFI controlled just about all the outlets. The breakers were for all the appliances. I had outlets in the cargo bays, bathroom and front cabin out, due to this GFI.
Another time I had power to only half of the breakers. Tunrs out when I'd plugged in the coach to the house I'd bent one of the prongs. Thus power to only half of the breaks. I spent three hours tracking this one. Started in the electrical bay, openne up the breaker box, took apart the 50 amp external cable, before find the bent prong.
Steve

95 Magna 5220

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16073
David

My GFI is in the bedroom at the head of the bed. We had this happen once and it turned out that we had to reset the inverter (behind a panel in the battery bay). I hope you find a quick answer.

Mike and Marg Keogh
98 Intrigue 36 #10538
00 CRV

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16074
We have a 2000 also & this just happened to us. Look in bedroom near bed pillow on passenger side is GFI outlet. Reset the GFI..

Good luck Bob Intrigue 2000 11116

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16075
GFI reset but remember what you did last to set it off. I plugged mine in while on the generator. POW reset and all is fine.

Adam
98 Intg

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16078
David--The GFI recpt in our 2001 Int. #11238 is in the bedroom. Ours trips frequently when we hook/unhook our landline 110V.

Don Krahling

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16091
Hi Group, Thanks to all who responded. I found the GFI next to the bed on my wife's side (passenger) and it had tripped.
Have no idea why it tripped as no loads had been applied but when I read that this sometimes happens when connecting to shore supply maybe that is what happened.
In our model Intrigue the pillows and cover hide the 110V outlets and as we never use them it is easy to forget that they are located there. I think this location is a candidate for our DUMB LIST. GGGG

Thanks again, David

David & Karen

2000 Intrigue 11062
40 ft Single slide. PT
2002 Odyssey TOAD

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16094
Hi Sometime the GFI if it has been triped a lot will go bad or get weak, I found that to be true, and had to replace it, had no problem after that.
Charlie Z
02 Magna 6162

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16096
After surviving a torrential rain of over 12 inches in 24 hours in south Alabama, my GFI started tripping off every 1-3 minutes. Now that we are in Texas and have dried out, it seems to be working fine. If this gets worse, I will take your suggestion and replace the unit.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16124
Ditto!

Our GFI was frequently tripping when switching between power sources - coach, generator, shore. No problem since replacing the GFI outlet almost 2 years ago.
--

Tom Harsch

2002 Allure #30791
--
Tom Harsch -- 2002 36' Allure #30791

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 16130
We too have had problems with the GFI tripping in both the 99 & 96. I hadn't figured out when it was doing it. We have had a bunch of rain in FL so that suggestion was interesting. Course it could be switching between the shore power and the inverter. I don't think it does it when we switch to generator. Either way seems like we may be due a new outlet.

Tammy

99 Magna 5605

Quote from: Tom & Maxine Harsch

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 16170
While I did not lose power to a 110 outlet, I did notice a few things when rewiring my audio equipment and recepticle behind the front TV. The outlet for the TV is also a junction for another outlet in the circuit. That junction and tap was made with wire nuts that where loose. Vibrations work the wire nut loose and wires can become disconnected. Suggest that wire nuts be checked for tightness and proper installation. Use some good electrical tape and wrap each wire nut to secure.

Jim hughes

2000 Allure #30511
On the road to Alaska

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 16174
Dear Jim,

I see you're on the road to Alaska. Great going!
I'm VERY interested in this, so can you please keep us posted as to your progress, and whether or not the journey is truly worthwhile. Are you gas or diesel?

Thanks,

Jeff & Lisette

2002 36 Allure Triple Slide

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 16181
David--The GFI recpt in our 2001 Int. #11238 is in the bedroom. Ours > trips frequently when we hook/unhook our landline 110V.
That shouldn't happen if you turn off, (1) campground power pedestal circuit breakers, or (2) your coach's main breakers before plugging into the power pedestal.

Dick (& Geri) Campagna (at Lazydays, Seffner, FL) '98 36' Intrigue #10571
Mfd: 11/97

Re: On Road to Alaska was:LOSS OF 110v

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 16286
Hi Jeff

Our coach is a 40' diesel. As I respond to some of the queries here I will post where I am at that point. I sure hope it is worth it to make such a trip. I have always wanted to do it. Hopefully it will be uneventful. If not I feel I am prepared to eiter do the repair on the side of the road or wait out a road service. We are in no hurry and will accept whatever the journey has to bring us.

Jim & Barb Hughes
2000 Allure #30511

On the road to Alaska...currently in Minn

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 16292
Jim, we did the trip to Alaska last spring and I think you will find it is no different than traveling in the lower 48 except that the scenery is awesome all the way and you'll see a lot more wildlife.
I think your odds of a problem are the same as they are in the lower 48 except for the chance of hitting a moose. We kept the speed down to 50-55 so we had a better chance of spotting wildlife. The Canadians keep the shoulder cleared for a good distance so wildlife are easier to spot. Other than the construction mud in sevearl spots, the roads were fine, better than most freeways in the lower 48 metropolitan area.
Bob

'05 Intrigue LE #11872

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 16293
Jim & Barb -

We will also be looking forward to your reports on your Alaska trip. You are a very technical person so no doubt you will be able to handle most situations - And hope you have none that rerquire the roadside assistance person! Great going.
Our coach numbers are fairly close so we will have a special interest in watching your progress. Safe travels.

Kathy & Emerson Marsh
2000 CC Allure #30536

Currently in Gold Canyon, AZ attending the SWCC rally

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 16296
Jim:

Betty and I made the trip solo 2 years ago and look forward for a return after our current lower 48 tour.
We kept a daily journal for reliable recall.
We posted our experiences, on this forum Sept 23,'04.
In Whitehorse we stayed at Pioneer RV Pk (also at Tok and Watson Lake parks) and found it popular for the RV Caravan groups to stay there. It gave us a chance to discuss the adventure and get up-to- date advice from the wagon masters who freely shared their info.
At the Whitehorse Wal-Mart we took a picture of the RVs dry camping...all 61 of them at 9pm.

We'll be looking forward to your experiences.
Don, 36'Allure 30580, CRV 2002

==========================================================

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 16299
Jim & Barb,

Thanks so much for the update on your trip to Alaska; Lisette and I will be anxiously awaiting your reports! This is a trip Lisette and I would love to make, but since we live in the Florida Keys, Alaska is just about as far away as you can get. (We DID however make it to Banff and Jasper Alberta on one of our trips.)
How many miles do you have on your coach now, if you don't mind me asking. (We have about 20,000 miles.)

Many thanks,

Jeff & Lisette

36 2002 Country Coach Triple slide

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 16328
Hey Jeff,

We only live 450 miles north of you in Jacksonville, FL. We purchased our coach when it had 23k miles. It now has about 42k.

We are currently in Mitchell SD for the weekend. We are watching the weather in the Badlands area before we head there next week.
Mt. Rushmore had snow there two days ago and about 10" at higher elevations. Weird Spring weather hear. It was 80F last weekend here and this morning it was 28F.

Make the trip to Alaska. We hesitated a bit at first with the rising costs of fuel and being a first timer going solo. But, this is something I always wanted to do and did not want to wait until another day. That may never come. Live your dreams. Life is short.

Jim & Barb Hughes
2000 Allure #30511

On the road to Alaska...Currently in Mitchell SD

Loss of 110v

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 16071
Dave: Hi. I see your name all the time, so you have probably read my ramblings on the inverter woes I went through a couple of years back.
If you don't get the power restored by resetting the GFI breaker or breaker on the front of the inverter, Try taking a broom handle and rapping in the front of the inverter.
Since you have a 2000 model, you may have a Heart Interface inverter like I had. My primary woes came from the loss of contact in the circuit boards that are positioned on the front panel of the inverter. Rapping on it would make it work for a while, then require attention. (Much like the carburetor float on my first 1935 Ford)
If you find rapping on it fixes it, you can open it up and spray contact cleaner on the contacts when you have it unplugged and switched off.
As indicated, I finally replaced the d*** thing. No problems since. After battling the thing for two years, I had the satisfaction of carrying it up to the roof on a shop down town and dropping it to the cement below. I felt much better after.

Larry
Intrigue

Re: Loss of 110v

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 34101
It has been stated many times, but I will say it again....this Forum is a GREAT resource. We are/were having a problem with our Inverter, so I went out here to read up on the topic. I read this post, and I just ran out to the garage and tapped on the inverter in the lower front corner, and it sprang to life. I will work on getting the conver off and cleaning the contacts in the next few days....

Thanks again!
Tom

1997 Intrigue #10468

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 34104
Information for those who might have a Heart Freedom Inverter failure.

My Heart Inverter had a catastrophic failure earlier this year (internal components fried themselves, external circuits were all ok- i.e., no shorts to cause the problem.) I took the unit into a Xantrex warranty repair facility who was unable to repair it. I called Xantrex and they shipped a new Xantrex Freedom 2000 watt unit as a replacement for the Heart Freedom unit. Xantrex discounted the new unit 40% off list price as a "Loyal Customer," goodwill gesture.
I was able to install the replacement unit without taking it into a repair facility which made the deal even sweeter.

They also sent a new Freedom Basic panel to replace the original on/off switch that came with the coach from the factory. The new panel actually gives quite a bit of additional information vs what I was able to get with the original installed equipment. It has a power share adjustment feature where you can reduce the amount of power being used by the battery charger and making more power available to other circuits in the coach. This feature is especially nice to have when connected to 30 amp power.

Ray

2000 Intrigue 11040

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 34140
You can also equalize the batteries, which could not be done with the ON/OFF switch.

Jim Hughes

2000 Alure #30511