Skip to main content
Topic: Inverter problems solved! (Read 1535 times) previous topic - next topic

Inverter problems solved!

Yahoo Message Number: 128
Ok, for all of you with the Invertrix inverter who are as "electrically challenged" as I am...Our great service person at Plemmons called with this explanation of what was going on. Some of it I wasn't aware of, and perhaps some of you aren't either who are having the problems.

The Invertrix has a separate circuit breaker that is accessed by taking off the cover in the battery compartment. It is located on the inverter itself. In our situation, that had tripped, which means we never were getting shore power to it to recharge it when we were hooked up. (We weren't aware of this circuit breaker.) The digital readout still worked over the door because that is on DC. (there needs to be some kind of light or something I would think on that panel that indicates when your circuit breaker has been thrown.) So, since we were driving only 2-3 hours at a time before we camped, and were on 50 amp power in campgrounds (thinking that it was charging the batteries), we were running out of juice on our house batteries to the point where they were totally drained.
So, moral of the story is to check your Invertrix circuit breaker ON the inverter to see if that is working if you start having "squirrelly problems" with your electric.
Also, these Intrigues have an electric heating element in the water heater that is always on unless you throw the breaker (back in the BR) to OFF. He said that is pulling about 7 amps all the time if you haven't thrown the circuit breaker. (That's another thing we didn't know about.) In our case, we have hydronic heat that we are using at night so we don't need the electric element since that should heat enough water for us for the morning, so we will turn the electric element for the water heater off at the circuit breaker now. (The water heater switch over the door is for activating the propane heater part of the water heater.)

So, I hope that perhaps this helps someone who is as much a novice at this as we are. It's wonderful to know how great the techs are at helping us.

Also, I received a note from Jim Cooley at CCI yesterday telling me that he was "in the loop" trying to figure out what was going on also. It's very true what everyone says...the CC people DO take care of you!

Hope this helps (and I hope this is the answer to OUR problems for real)
Jan

Re: Inverter problems solved!

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 181
-Jan, I have an Allure and had a similar but different experience with loosing our House Batteries. CC was using an inexpensive Boost Solenoid which ties the All the Batteries into the engine altenator when the engine is running and charges them as you drive.

This cheap solenoid has gone out on many coaches. It is now been upgraded with one which costs about $175. Since I don't have the Link 2000 like is on the Magna/Affinity to tell us the House Batteries are charging as you drive. I did the following: I installed a 2nd VoltMeter in the Dash and connected it to the House Batteries. When I start the engine I can see if this Solenoid has kicked in and am receiving charge to the House Batteries. I ordered the Voltmeter from CC, its identical to the one already in the dash that reads the Chassis Battery.

See ya, Mike