Skip to main content
Topic: Poor Tv Reception (Read 780 times) previous topic - next topic

Poor Tv Reception

Yahoo Message Number: 20695
Can anyone suggest an antenna booster so some other fix for poor tv reception? I spoke to Cal Thorn in Junction City who installed our satellite, and he said to take out the one that came with the coach (shaped like a little space ship) and use the bat wing type. I rather not do that if possible.

Adriane Stoller
Allure cc31157

Re: Poor Tv Reception

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 20698
Adrianne, is your booster not working? I assume someone showed you there is a booster with a slide switch near your ant/aux/vcr selector. There ought to be a small light which indicates when the booster is on. These boosters have been known to go bad, but the number of your coach indicates it's relatively new.

Good luck,

Walt Rothermel

03Allure30811 (for sale)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 20699
There are several mfg's of boosters. Radio Shack sells one. Also, Winegard. You don't mention the year of your coach, but my 99 factory installed, built-in antenna booster went bonkers after 5 years. I replaced the Winegard switch panel that has a built-in booster in the antenna lead housing. It requires low voltage and has an indicator light next to it. It isn't easy to install since you have to get back behind the TV and hook into a 12v line and ground.
Another option is to test the booster that is built into the top of the antenna. You can remove the cover in the center of the antenna and there is a little electronic duframis (non-technical term for non-technical people like me). If it is bad, you can replace the factory installed antenna wing with a new one that has a working booster.

Larry

Intrigue 10762

Headed for Puerto Penasco Tomorrow

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 20701
I had that job done while at the factory last fall. It's not important if you are between the Miss River and the Sierras, but if you live out west or back east you need that bat wing for the trees play havoick with the dish.
TWI 11732. I left the old antennae on the roof for it doesn't leak.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 20725
First find the booster which is probably already there. On my coach it is built into the box which selects what the source for the front TV, Rear TV and VCR is. Check out the TV with and without this booster powered up. If there is no difference in the picture, then there is a chance the booster (or wiring or antenna) is bad. If there is a differance, then another booster probably won't help any.
Boosting junk will just give you more junk :-)
Those 'spaceship' antennas are omnidirectional, which means they don't receive well from any direction :-). Plus, they are low, and often blocked by air conditioners and other gadgets mounted on the roof.

The batwing antennas are a pain to use, but they are much better if you get them pointed in the right direction (higher and pretty directional). I'd check with CC and see if they can install one of these, perhaps at a reunion so you only have to pay for the parts.

John 04 Inspire 51078

Quote from: adriane_stoller
> > Can anyone suggest an antenna booster so some other fix for poor tv > reception? I spoke to Cal Thorn in Junction City who installed our > satellite, and he said to take out the one that came with the coach > (shaped like a little space ship) and use the bat wing type. I

rather